Postal Art Cards

D

draloo

More powerful than the impassioned rattlings of a million angry keyboards, these paintings document our national political meltdown. Postal Art Cards
Free Offer

I am having difficulty crossing the boundary of people's disbelief that some dilettante painter would go to such lengths to give away his artwork. The admittedly somewhat incomprehensible website is meant to be the sweet chocolate covering of a chewy nougat of truth. It is intended to be fun.
All joking aside, this project has given me a great deal of pleasure. Those people who have gotten the cards have been pleased. I have been getting requests from Europe and I have mailed them across the Atlantic.
An enthusiastic lady in Chicago asked for more cards so I sent her one hundred and fifty. She mailed a full five card set to thirty US Senators last week. Perhaps I should expect a visit from DHS soon. There has already been an investigation by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement because of my blasphemous use of the Star of David in my paintings. If you look closely you will find that there is no Star of David in my paintings. People see what they want to see. Sometimes I feel like a canary in the coal mine of freedom. If I am not free to distribute this artwork, are any of us free? If we refuse to be afraid, the battle is won.
I don't know that I will ever again be able to paint unselfconsciously. I painted these things over the last six years and I am proud of them. They express exactly what I perceive to be the unfolding of history in the period of right wing madness we have endured.

If you are planning on going to D.C. on September 23, you may want to try this Personal Protection Art Project.

These posters aren't just pretty.

Those posters aren't just pretty, they are also protective. The are made of two sheets of 3/8 foamcore poster board. A third sheet is cut into strips and glued between the outer sheets along with the wooden paint stirrer handle. This air gap between the sheets helps dissapate energy. Glue your message on both sides and you are ready to stop the pepperspray paintballs that killed that unfortunate girl in Boston. A pepperspray ball penetrated her eye and exploded in her brain. Using this system, I believe that your poster will slow and dissapate some of the energy of the rubber bullets which were used with such abandon in Miami. All you need do is keep the poster between your head and the militarized forces of law and order.

I recognize that it requires a great leap of faith to send your postal address to a stranger. Send a P O Box or your work address if it makes you feel more at ease. If you think that, perhaps, I may be a serial killer compiling a list of victims for a nationwide rampage, then you have been watching far too much cable news programing. If you suspect that I am engaged in a cleverly designed NSA program gathering intelligence about the disloyal, you have been spending too much time at the computer. The address you provide will be used only to mail your cards.
I Promise.

mike said:
If your fear has cost you your freedom to think, then you need not fear losing anything else.
Very true, Mike - and your art is powerful, no doubt- thank you for letting us know.

Thanks! I am exploring avenues of free distribution. For example: It would be great to find an organization or individual who has a table at the Veterans for Peace Convention in Seattle this August. I would send them, at no cost, a thousand cards to give away. They could sell them for a buck a set if they wanted to raise funds. My goal is to disseminate the cards before the November elections. I have patience, persistence, and forty-seven thousand postcards.

DonaldJHunt said:
Nice work.
Thanks. This is my art show. The venue is your mailbox. Many people are repulsed by these paintings. A few really like them. Almost everyone else is just made uncomfortably uneasy. What you do with the cards and the conversations you will have as you try to give them away are part of the performance

anart said:
mike said:
If your fear has cost you your freedom to think, then you need not fear losing anything else.
Very true, Mike - and your art is powerful, no doubt- thank you for letting us know.
The paintings have spread to Europe. They have been seen at the L.A. Peace Museum though I have no idea how they got there. They are being seen in Art Galleries. I have given away 13,000 Postal Art Cards and though many now molder at the bottom of a garbage dump, some have filtered out and have been seen and understood. Their message is leaking out.

Back
Top Bottom