Preventing Colds and Sore Throats

Did the doctor say what type of bacterial infection? Did he say it was strep? (Streptococcal pharyngitis). If so, you might actually need to go the antibiotic route - step can be quite nasty and cause other problems if left untreated. Of course, I'm not a doctor, so perhaps one of our members who is in the medical field will have more certain advice.

It is a penicillin-like antibiotic. If you don't get significantly better within a day or two, its better to take it. The antibiotic is for localized infection. You don't want a bacterial infection spreading into the vicinity or your blood system, by then you might need a more powerful antibiotic.

Tips give are super good, but you can have lemonades as fruit juices to cut out the sugar, lemons have also antibacterial properties.

anart said:
Did the doctor say what type of bacterial infection? Did he say it was strep? (Streptococcal pharyngitis). If so, you might actually need to go the antibiotic route - step can be quite nasty and cause other problems if left untreated. Of course, I'm not a doctor, so perhaps one of our members who is in the medical field will have more certain advice.

no, he didn't say, he only took like 5 seconds to look into my mouth and immediately said, that's a bacterial infection. Kind of stupid that I didn't ask him what kind of infection it was.

Psyche:
It is a penicillin-like antibiotic. If you don't get significantly better within a day or two, its better to take it. The antibiotic is for localized infection. You don't want a bacterial infection spreading into the vicinity or your blood system, by then you might need a more powerful antibiotic.

Tips give are super good, but you can have lemonades as fruit juices to cut out the sugar, lemons have also antibacterial properties.

My troat was getting worse , so I started on the antibiotic and so far I feel great, the pain has decreased enormously and swallowing is much easier now, I will definitely use the lemons as well.

Thanks a lot!

I just read an excellent article on the immune system benefits of Vitamin D on sott.net.
It was focused on preventing swine flu, but I think the preventing colds and flu may be more
effective than treating them after they have overcome the immune defenses.

For prevention of regular sore throats, colds I do ear candling. My son had gotten a stuffy nose and sore throat from the drainage. I did the ear candling and it was cleared up by the next day.

Bo said:
a question, I got a bacteriel troat infection, swallowing hurts, my ear hurts in this process of swallowing as well,

now my doctor gave me anti-biotics, which I am supposed to use for a week from today. (the anti-biotic is called Broxil - 500mg),

What are my options here?

Trow the anti-biotics away and start on the ascorbic acid vitamine c? ( 3 teaspoons a day)

My son probably also suffered from a (bacterial?) throat infection. Swallowing hurts, dry throat, dry cough, glands swollen a bit. He went to see the doctor who thought it might be glandular fever, but he was not sure, but gave him as Psyche said a penicillin-like antibiotic anyway. :huh: (Although my son had told him that he was not tired and his throat was getting better.)

Anyway, he will take the anti-biotic, should it become worse. Thanks Psyche and Anart for this.

These past few days I have done all kinds of things to give him some relief, although it didn't seem to work (straight away). I think I am too impatient, because he is now feeling much better without any anti-biotic.

I gave him some liquorice coughing syrup which others and I made during a course in herbs. It is made of liquorice root, sage, thyme, lemon, honey and essential oil and more. He had taken it with him on a trip and felt a lot better the next day after taking it.

Besides from a steam bath with essential oil I also made him foot baths with two handfuls of salt and some essential oil (thyme, eucalyptus, niaouli and bergamot). According to my teacher (a nurse with more than 20 years of experience with herbs) a salt bath is a good (and cheap) way to get rid of waste products.
I also made him liquorice tea, and a hot drink with water, fresh lemon juice and honey.

He tried to gurgle with salt and essential oil, clay and essential oil and elderberry blossom gurgle fluid (also made during the course), but found that hard to do.

We use a lot of her (home-made) products, made with calendula and comfrey in our house, because they are effective and they smell so good! :D

I could ask her if it is okay to publish some of her recipes on this forum, if you are all interested. She uses products that are native to our surroundings and can grow in our own gardens, like willow, nettles and such.

The syrup with liquorice root is definitely worth a try.

The teacher pointed me to a wonderful little (Dutch) book about aromatherapy in combination with clay, ' aroma- en kleitherapie' by Rosemarie Ypma. According to the writer some French doctors did all kinds of tests with essential oils and found that these oils work on "streptococcen, stafylococcen, candida, colibacillen, tyfusbacillen en pneumococcen".

I am now wondering whether these doctors are also persecuted and accused of cult like activity. :(

I haven't had a terrible cold for years when taking Vit. C, & D3. After hip replacement, I slacked off and within 3 months I came down with Bronchitis. Go figure. Lesson learned...

Al Today said:
I haven't had a terrible cold for years when taking Vit. C, & D3. After hip replacement, I slacked off and within 3 months I came down with Bronchitis. Go figure. Lesson learned...

I have just ordered some Vitamine D3 (and more), Al! Thanks.

Here is the recipe that helped my son feel better. His throat has now healed.

Liquorice cough syrup:

20 grammes of liquorice root, chopped up in small pieces
15 grammes of sage (or take half, as it is fairly strong)
15 grammes of thyme
The Dutch can add some (20) 'laurierdropjes', bonbons made with liquorice and bay leaf
750 ml water
10 tablespoons of honey
elixer made of plantain (optional)
1-5 drops of essential oil, like peppermint or eucalyptus (optional)
juice of one lemon

Pour boiling hot water on the herbs (and bonbons) and let it sit for at least 30 minutes, until your tea has become strong. Strain and boil until half of it has evaporated. Add lemon juice, honey, the elixer or the essential oils.
Pour it into small bottles, when it is still boiling hot. Keep it cool.

Use it from 3 up til 10 times a day. One teaspoon and keep it in your mouth and throat as long as possible!

NOT suitable for people with high blood pressure.

You could also use the peels of a lemon, a bit of one leaf of comfrey, the peels of rose hips and more.

Hi,
I've suffered with sore throats most of my life, which includes being hospitalised in my early 20's. On that particular occasion i was diagnosed with a Peritonsillar abscess and of all the physical illnesses I've suffered from, it's got to be one of the most painful. Just trying to swallow is a huge effort. Your mouth continuously fills up with saliva, your glands are swollen, talking is a real effort and you feel constantly tired.
Trying to eat is a mission in itself, you can hardly open your mouth to take anything in and when you do and try to swallow the food, it just won't go down and usually takes 3 very painful attempts. Broken sleep throughout the night, simply because of the pain.
In the past whenever I get a flare up, cayenne pepper tends to fight it off before it can manifest itself.
The last time I had a bad flare up was about 5 years ago and when I went to see the doctor he wouldn't give me any antibiotics for it, he was more concerned with whether i smoked or not! He though it was due to a nasal infection. :huh:
And so 2 days later I ended up having to go the local hospital, simply because it had got so swollen and painful.

Anyway, a sore throat has been doing the rounds where I live and all of my family have been ill with it. Our 2 children were only sick for a couple of days, but my wife had it for a couple of weeks. I thought I'd got away with it, until i woke up one night and knew it had arrived.
I gargled with salt water and bicarbonate of soda, mixed cayenne pepper into a drink, drank bone broth, dosed up on vitamin C, massaged dmso all around my neck and throat and it still managed to get worse. Typically I'd taken a week off from work to spend some quality time with the children!
After a few more days, unfortunately I was left with little choice other than to go to the doctor. And what do you know? the first thing he asked was "do you smoke Mr Christie?". Well, smoking was virtually impossible anyway! trying to take a pull was far too painful, let alone opening your mouth to get the cigarette in! Talking was becoming an effort too and so you just sort of mumble your words.
Great. It was the same doctor I'd seen 5 years ago.
I explained (again) that I'd suffered from a peritonsillar abscess in the past and the symptoms were the same. I couldn't be bothered to mention what had happened the last time I'd seen him. After an examination though, he did decide to give me some penicillin. Phew!
I usually steer well clear of pharmaceuticals, but in this circumstance I was feeling like there just wasn't any other option left.
I've been taking the penicillin for 4 days now and this morning there was a definite improvement, oh the joy of being able to eat again!
And...... smoke again! Wahoo! :D
During the worst of it, I had to keep a real check on my mood swings. Little things suddenly became BIG things. Fortunately my wife understood what I was going through, having seen it before and she helped me through it, letting me get all the rest I needed. Sometimes it's hard to accept that you just need to rest and certain things CAN wait!
It's been a good experience to reflect upon and has certainly raised a couple of points that need addressing.
It definitely makes you appreciate things that are so easily taken for granted.
Well, I'm not quite there recovery wise yet, but certainly on the mend. :)

Wow, Can Won. I can't imagine how tough that must be to deal with all the time. :(

Glad to hear that the penicillin is helping, though!

webglider said:
Can anyone suggest which measures to take to prevent the occurrence of colds during the change of seasons?

I'm pretty health conscious, and I don't like to take over the counter medicines, but sometimes these colds are so debilitating and last so long that nothing alternative seems to work.

Hello Webglider:

what has worked for me is taking liposomosal vitamin C in the morning on an empty stomach, you can eat after 15 to 30 minutes and take cold showers, as has been suggested by the C's, and it worked wonders in your immune system... :cool2:

Hi Ajay,
fortunately it's not all the time, cayenne pepper has been a revelation!
It's by far the best remedy I've come across so far...

Anytime I feel a sore throat coming on, i just gargle with half a teaspoon in water and then slowly sip some more in warm water.

It's pretty harsh, but 99 times out of 100 it works, it's just that one that got me this time ;)

One of the things that has worked for me for getting over a sore throat quickly is to gargle with straight cider vinegar. It, too, can be harsh, but it really gets rid of the sore throat, at least for me it has.

I'll give that a try next time Nienna, thanks.
Sometimes too much cayenne pepper can literally burn the back of your throat!

Back
Top Bottom