Public Showing of UFOs, Aliens, and the Question of Contact

JonnyRadar

The Living Force
HI all,

Wasn't sure where to put this thread, I ended up putting it here because this could involved EE promotion.

Some friends and I have the possibility of putting on a public showing of the new documentary Spiral Out and de-tached have made - UFOs, Aliens, and the Question of Contact. (_http://veilofreality.wordpress.com/2011/03/12/ufos-aliens-and-the-question-of-contact-%E2%98%9E-video/) I'm starting this thread to bounce the idea off the network and see if any suggestions come to light, and to discuss a few points.

Copyright - the guys did a good job I thought of putting the Fair Use clause everywhere in the context of the video, in the description on YouTube and at the end of the video. However I don't know exactly how this plays out if it is to be shown publicy. We can leave money out of the picture entirely - free admission, no donations, etc. - and yet there still may be some risk involved considering the proliferation of clips from television and film within the documentary. I am asking if anyone here has a more in-depth knowledge of this area and could offer feedback.

Promotions - I am fairly certain we could get a large turnout. So, we could also hand out flyers for EE and information about the Dot Connector, and perhaps we (friends and I) could pitch in and get some copies of DCM and the EE dvd and do a free name-in-the-hat raffle for these things, to generate interest.

Any ideas, suggestions, comments?

Edit: Link added...

Well, IANAL, but I believe that as long you are not profiting from the use of these images/videos, fair use applies.

Ix-nay. This is one of those things that can fly on the net, but as it is, you don't want to get into any public showings or associate our organization with it.

We are pondering how to deal with all the copyright issues and if we can make it fly, then will be time for public showings.

Laura said:
Ix-nay. This is one of those things that can fly on the net, but as it is, you don't want to get into any public showings or associate our organization with it.

We are pondering how to deal with all the copyright issues and if we can make it fly, then will be time for public showings.

Understood totally. If the legal issues are worked out and it becomes appropriate at some point in the future, consider us available to do something like that. :)

Yeah, it sounds like a great idea, but the copyrights are a BIG issue. We'd also love to show it to more people in a screening setting, but it is not worth the risk.

I got some great responses from friends who I never thought would even watch it, calling me or emailing me that it really changed their perception of life and gave them much to think about in a positive, expanding way. It was really surprising to me, especially coming from people who are not familiar with the UFO topic at all. That made me also think to show it maybe to more people locally via a screening, but for now it is best and safer to keep it through the internet and just send/post the links.

Spiral Out said:
[...] for now it is best and safer to keep it through the internet and just send/post the links.

Agreed. Just wanted to say again and echo your friends' experience, that this is really an incredible piece of work. I have also had the same kind of feedback from a few people I sent it to. I'd encourage everyone to share the link to this documentary!

Edit: Spelling

I wonder what it would cost to get permission to use the copyrighted material so that this can be commercialized.

Mr. Premise said:
I wonder what it would cost to get permission to use the copyrighted material so that this can be commercialized.

We are going to work on that. I'm acquainted with Karla Turner's husband and I think Rich Dolan will sign a release. We can take care of the music, do some searches on the other clips and see if we can use some friends and friends of friends to get permissions.

The most perfect thing about the video, for me, is the natural progression of topics. It's organic, flows masterfully, and the script is perfect.

Laura said:
Mr. Premise said:

We are going to work on that. I'm acquainted with Karla Turner's husband and I think Rich Dolan will sign a release. We can take care of the music, do some searches on the other clips and see if we can use some friends and friends of friends to get permissions.

The most perfect thing about the video, for me, is the natural progression of topics. It's organic, flows masterfully, and the script is perfect.

It really is perfect. And if these copyright issues could be taken care of, this could also be shown at The Rabbit Hole. We had a really good turn out for the Dolan event. So there is interest in this sort of thing, even in Fitchburg and area.

Back
Top Bottom