Putin signs law banning smoking in public in Russia

Mountain Crown

The Living Force
[quote author=bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21571418]Putin signs law banning smoking in public in Russia

Smoking in public places will be banned in Russia after President Vladimir Putin signed a tough new bill into law.

Under the new legislation, smoking in restaurants, long-distance trains and housing block entrance halls will be illegal.

The government has made reducing smoking one of the cornerstones of its bid to improve public health.

Russia has one of the highest smoking rates in the world, with more than four in 10 Russians considered smokers.

Parliament passed the bill earlier in February, with only one deputy in the State Duma voting against the legislation.

The law "On protecting the health of citizens from the danger of passive smoking and the consequences of the use of tobacco" will come into force in stages, beginning on 1 June.

On that date, smoking will be banned within 15m of entrances to stations, airports, metro stations and ports; in workplaces; in entrances to apartment blocks; and in children's playgrounds and on beaches.

Exactly one year later, smoking will be banned on long-distance trains and ships; in hotels; in restaurants, bars, cafes, shops and markets; and on suburban railway platforms.

Under the bill, a minimum retail price will be introduced for tobacco and its sale and advertising will be restricted.

The legislation meets some of the recommendations outlined in a World Health Organization report on smoking in Russia published in 2011.

According to that report, the retail price of a pack of 20 of the cheapest brand of cigarettes in 2010 was 11 roubles (£0.23; $0.36; 0.27 euros) while a popular Western brand sold for 48 roubles (£1; $1.6; 1.2 euros).[/quote]

Well, since we know that the anti-smoking laws have nothing to do with health, we can only conclude based on this item, that Putin is bought and paid for. He's definitely in the Pathocratic Gang.

Laura said:
Well, since we know that the anti-smoking laws have nothing to do with health, we can only conclude based on this item, that Putin is bought and paid for. He's definitely in the Pathocratic Gang.

That's what I thought too when I read it.

Laura said:

Yes. And as many others in the Russian political apparatus, he's an "EX-" KCB guy (intentional typo).

Laura said:

Since then a lot has changed, including the view on what is going on with Russia and Putin. But I do wonder what's up with the recent even tougher legislations and bans on smoking.

_http://www.nst.com.my/latest/in-russia-new-anti-smoking-law-alarms-tobacco-giants-1.6081517

Tough new anti-smoking legislation that comes into force on Sunday in Russia has dismayed cigarette companies as they face the prospect of declining sales and tighter regulation of their industry.

Russia was once seen as a key emerging market for the tobacco industry with its high number of heavy smokers keen to switch to Western brands, but from June 1 there will be a blanket ban on smoking in restaurants, cafes and hotels.

In the first stage of the ban, Russia last year outlawed smoking on municipal transport as well as in public spaces such as schools, administrative buildings and hospitals.

The stringent new law also bans all forms of tobacco advertising and requires that packs of cigarettes be hidden from customers at the point of sale. Smokers will have to choose their brand using a catalogue without images or logos.

This is some of the harshest anti-smoking legislation in the world,” said Alexander Lyuty, the communications director in Russia of British American Tobacco (BAT).

Quote from: Laura on February 26, 2013, 02:53:43 PM
Well, since we know that the anti-smoking lawssian have nothing to do with health, we can only conclude based on this item, that Putin is bought and paid for. He's definitely in the Pathocratic Gang.

That's what I thought too when I read it.

that's what I thought too first ...but maybe its a double cross
weaning people of american tobacco would be good for Russia
after all we have all those laws in oz for a while
but here they started slowly removing the local tobacco farms bit by bit
so now we have no choice but to smoke imported stuff
(thank the DCM we can get german organic Manitou here)

those Russians are pretty resourceful, they will smoke homegrown
and who is going to police this? if they are such heavy smokers they may
not been exposed to the whole anti-smoking shtick for as much as us Aussies
so with any luck people will just ignore the laws :cool2:
maybe Putin is counting on that

As for Putin, he doesn't smoke and never did, as far as I know from Russian media. Medvedev also doesn't smoke. Peskov (Putin's assistant) gave up smoking while working with Putin. While Lavrov and Shoigu (secretaries of state and defence) are both smokers.

In 2011 Putin participated in the Global Conference for Healthy Lifestyle and was tested for smoking. The tester showed that he doesn't smoke. In his speech at the conference Putin said that doctor is the most respected profession (my translation):
In ancient times healthcare was performed by shamans. I've never seen so many professional shamans as I see here today.

http://www.aif.ru/health/life/257430

My guess is that Putin is not fully aware that most (if not all) shamans are smokers. :P
He might also underestimate the benefits of smoking. But I think he is honest in his belief.

Also, the anti-smoking law simply doesn't work in Russia :cool2:

Laura said:
Of course he is. How could not he be if he is leading one of the not-so-inferior countries. Frankly, I do not understand many fascinations with mr. Putin here and on SOTT. Compared to hopelessly pathological psychopaths like Obama, Kerry et al he may be perceived very differently indeed, but I seriously doubt that any current world leader alive would convert our existence to something different that same old familiar controlled and fully governed corrupt STS power structure filled with dumbed down powerless people at the bottom (if not the global changes pending).

MrEightFive said:
I seriously doubt that any current world leader alive would convert our existence to something different that same old familiar controlled and fully governed corrupt STS power structure filled with dumbed down powerless people at the bottom (if not the global changes pending).

Sure, until we are just "dumbed down powerless people at the bottom" no "current world leader alive would convert our existence to something different". I guess we should start with ourselves and see what we can do to progress without waiting for Mr. Putin to come and rescue us all. Putin just does his job and he does it well (remember the 90s in comparison with now?), but he alone cannot change everything, if the system is corrupt on the inside, on the lower (family/tribe) level. My suggestion is that we should work more ourselves (including myself) rather than tend to blame Putin for everything (who is also not perfect, of course).

Well, it's not a nice news. Life could be intolerable without tobacco (or paraphrase to H.D.F. Kitto "life can be good without tobacco so long as one does not know that it exists"). Luckily, as Siberia says, the anti-smoking law simply doesn't work in Russia.
In any case Russia can compensate in other forms:

http://www.sott.net/article/273542-Russia-considers-complete-ban-on-GM-food-production

http://www.sott.net/article/274966-Russias-ban-on-GMOs-80-of-citizens-oppose-GMO-creations

Keit said:
Since then a lot has changed, including the view on what is going on with Russia and Putin. But I do wonder what's up with the recent even tougher legislations and bans on smoking.

Tough new anti-smoking legislation that comes into force on Sunday in Russia has dismayed cigarette companies as they face the prospect of declining sales and tighter regulation of their industry.

Russia was once seen as a key emerging market for the tobacco industry with its high number of heavy smokers keen to switch to Western brands, but from June 1 there will be a blanket ban on smoking in restaurants, cafes and hotels.

In the first stage of the ban, Russia last year outlawed smoking on municipal transport as well as in public spaces such as schools, administrative buildings and hospitals.

The stringent new law also bans all forms of tobacco advertising and requires that packs of cigarettes be hidden from customers at the point of sale. Smokers will have to choose their brand using a catalogue without images or logos.

“This is some of the harshest anti-smoking legislation in the world,” said Alexander Lyuty, the communications director in Russia of British American Tobacco (BAT).

The Russian Parliament has passed these laws, and with the 60% to 40% non smokers to smokers, maybe it was a given.

The bolded above could work in Putins favour against the west, especially if there is a big drop in sales as people stop smoking or smoke less or stick to local brands (even better).

Maybe he was happy to sign this law off if it was an annoyance to the western corporations and governments.

As stated in a previous post by rraven, Australia have had these very strict laws for some time now, so it's nothing new. My only gripe is we are not allowed to grow our own tobacco, there are huge fines if your caught.

l apprenti de forgeron said:
Well, it's not a nice news. Life could be intolerable without tobacco (or paraphrase to H.D.F. Kitto "life can be good without tobacco so long as one does not know that it exists"). Luckily, as Siberia says, the anti-smoking law simply doesn't work in Russia.

Well, I can say from a personal experience that it doesn't work, at least at the university where I study. The signs may become larger and more intimidating, and garbage bins may change their location or disappear all together (not to mention non existing benches), but students would still continue to puff (including yours truly), sometimes right near the forbidding sign. ;)

Siberia said:
As for Putin, he doesn't smoke and never did, as far as I know from Russian media. Medvedev also doesn't smoke. Peskov (Putin's assistant) gave up smoking while working with Putin. While Lavrov and Shoigu (secretaries of state and defence) are both smokers.

In 2011 Putin participated in the Global Conference for Healthy Lifestyle and was tested for smoking. The tester showed that he doesn't smoke. In his speech at the conference Putin said that doctor is the most respected profession (my translation):
In ancient times healthcare was performed by shamans. I've never seen so many professional shamans as I see here today.

Yes, I think that anti-smoking laws in Russia are gaining their momentum primarily due to the fact that the country leaders aren't smoking, and are very pro-health (especially Putin) and all for promoting various sport and other physical activities. There is a huge misconception and lack of knowledge regarding the benefits of smoking.

On the other hand, many remember their grandfathers who grew their own tobacco and lived very long lives. Our pathological anatomy teacher, who loves to scare us each lecture with pathological repercussions of students' "unhealthy life styles" told us about his grandfather who smoked self-grown tobacco, and this fact apparently saved him from many infections.

In my opinion, what is most worrying about this recent development, that it gives all kind of authoritarian personalities a carte blanche to be even greater discriminating assholes. One example would be one of the vise-principals at my university, who was fairly kind and friendly to me until the day she smelled tobacco on my coat. Since then whenever our passes cross she looks at me as if I am an incarnation of devil on earth. :lol: :evil: It's good that I already passed the exam on the subject she teaches! :cool2:

Laura said:

Or is this a blind spot for him? With such high rates of smoking in Russia, there must be some issues caused by commercial cigarettes and all their impurities. I am relying on assumptions here, and strangely finding the need to defend Putin which I didn't think would EVER happen before the events of the last year or so.

I suppose my view would change when they start banning smoking in bars, apartments etc. like they have in the west where there is of course no doubt about their nefarious intentions.

Anti-smoking laws is an easy way to care about public health for politicians. Smoking is so demonized that majority of population would always embrace any restrictions on smoking. Do you see anti-drinking laws being signed? Strong alcohol is far more detrimental to health and has many social implications but fighting it would be a political suicide for any leader especially in Russia. Russians still remember such measures and Putin would loose a great part of his rating if he dares to sign such law. Probably we shouldn't bash him on this law because he just does what he can in the area of public health.
Speaking about imported tobacco I want to note that there are no locally grown tobacco left in Russia thanks to western corporations bought almost everything there. Raising import taxes along signing restriction laws would have been a good choice for a leader, so local producers would still grow tobacco to sell it to people who really want to "harm themselves". It would be a benefit for all.

Mr. Putin! You are not gentle. You are disappointing me.

Today I saw a advertising about cigarettes in my pharmacy. Listen to this: "A cigarette is worst than a bullet". Really, really.

So I hope that Russians will not listen to Mr.Putin in this subject.

Back
Top Bottom