Putin signs law banning smoking in public in Russia

aimarok said:
Do you see anti-drinking laws being signed? Strong alcohol is far more detrimental to health and has many social implications but fighting it would be a political suicide for any leader especially in Russia. Russians still remember such measures and Putin would loose a great part of his rating if he dares to sign such law.

Well, he did signed a number of anti-alcohol laws and they work to some extent. For example, in 2013, beer became equal to alcohol and since then beer trade is significantly restricted: both beer and alcohol can only be sold before 11 PM and after 8 AM (and it works almost everywhere). Alcohol trade is now banned at premises of less that 50 sq.m. (i.e. small corner shops often trading deadly counterfeit). Alcohol trade is banned on any transport, gas stations, sport- and child-related premises, places of mass gathering (stadiums, concert halls, stations, airports, etc.). Basically, since 2013, drinking alcohol is now only allowed at home and at cafes and restaurants.

Since July 2012, alcohol commercials may not use the images of people and animals, including animation (cartoons). Also, alcohol commercials are banned on transport and at stations, hospitals, child-, sports- and culture-related buildings, on TV, at theatres, in films.

Breaching the new anti-beer law now entails both administrative and criminal liability.

The source in Russian: http://russian-yurist.ru/novyj-antialkogolnyj-zakon-2013.

Officially, alcohol consumption in Russia dropped by 13 per cent in 2013: http://lenta.ru/news/2013/10/17/alcohol/.

That said, I absolutely agree with you that alcohol is still a serious problem in Russia.

Keit said:
On the other hand, many remember their grandfathers who grew their own tobacco and lived very long lives.

This is very true, in my family it works 100%. :)

Lindenlea said:
My only gripe is we are not allowed to grow our own tobacco, there are huge fines if your caught.

Yep. Growing your own tobacco would be great. My grandma used to do it. It helped to expel hazardous insects from our garden, for one example. Also, it would be a great idea in the face of upcoming global changes too.

Trying to make tougher anti-smoking laws doesn't work in Armenia, either. Since I've been back here, there's been some trying to do so - mostly because of pressure from foreign NGO's - and it's mostly ignored by the public. And most politicians and government officials smoke too. FWIW.

Oh, and yeah, I totally agree about the health and societal damages from alcohol not being addressed at all, really, worldwide. Probably BECAUSE it's so detrimental - another sign of the global pathocracy hell-bent on eradicating something as beneficial as smoking tobacco, and pretty much silent about alcohol.

The anti-smoking laws have pretty much been ignored in Jordan too. The only place they are somewhat effective is the airport, but even still, you can step into a restroom and for a small tip, the attendant will allow you to smoke. There are also smoking "cages" near the gates - so it's not totally non-smoking. :cool2:

Back
Top Bottom