Quake Triggers Indonesian Tsunami; 5 Dead

Laura

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/07/17/D8ITN1F09.html

By CHRIS BRUMMITT
Associated Press Writer

A powerful earthquake sent a 6-foot-high tsunami crashing into a beach resort on Indonesia's Java island Monday, killing at least five people and causing extensive damage to hotels, restaurants and homes, the president and witnesses said.

People ran up a hill to escape the wave on Pangandaran beach in west Java, a woman who identified herself only as Teti told el-Shinta radio station.

"All the houses are destroyed along the beach," she said. "Small hotels are completely destroyed and at least one restaurant was washed away."

President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono told reporters that at least five people were killed.

The tsunami followed a quake that struck deep beneath the Indian Ocean 150 miles southwest of Java's western coast at 3:24 p.m. local time, causing tall buildings to sway as far off as the capital Jakarta.

The earthquake had a preliminary magnitude of 7.2, the U.S. Geological Survey said. It was followed by a 6.1-magnitude aftershock two hours later.

Transport Minister Hatta Radjasa said he had heard reports about a tsunami striking two seaside towns, and urged people living on Java's southern coast to move inland in an orderly fashion.

"Everyone should move from the beach," he told el-Shinta.

The earthquake had triggered a tsunami warning on Indonesia's Java and Sumatra islands and Australia's Christmas and Cocos islands.

"There is a possibility of a destructive local tsunami in the Indian Ocean," Japan's Meteorological Agency said in a statement.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issued a similar bulletin.

Indonesia is prone to earthquakes because of its location on the so- called Pacific "Ring of Fire," an arc of volcanoes and fault lines encircling the Pacific Basin.

The 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami killed at least 216,000 people, nearly half of them in Indonesia's Aceh province.

On May 27, a magnitude-5.9 earthquake devastated a large swath of Java Island, killing more than 5,800 people.

I must admit with the escalating acts of war in the middle east Im having a hard time keeping up with all the daily news and events, as my focus has been somewhat based on the Israeli acts genocide taking place against the Palestinian/Lebanese people.

But I had just seen this article from the same source and was about to post it, but done a quick search first and found myself here. I haven't had much time to think about it, but one of my first thoughts would be "Holy cow, the Rring of Fire seems to be getting hit with all the worst/largest earthquakes of the last few years". That's not to say places like the Russian Penninsula, Iran, Greece, India, Pakistan and South America havent seen there fair share, even the west coast US has had hundreds of micr-quakes daily. But Indonesia seems to be the focal point of much of the bigger human tradgedies linked with recent large quakes. Im probably to over suspicous for my own good, but Im starting to wonder if there is a reason, man made or not (excluding the fact that its on the rim of one of the worlds most active plate boundaries). Also could such activity produce more earthquakes or stresses around the edges of the plate in the direction of Russia/Japan/Alaska and US who are yet to be hit with any significantly large quakes in the last 5yrs.

Maybe we will see more activity in the coming month or months, this could also effect some of those restless volcano's in the Ring of Fire such as happened with the last large and deep quake disturbing Mt Murapi.

Indonesia tsunami toll 231, hunt on for more

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=worldNews&storyid=2006-07-18T065539Z_01_SP204841_RTRUKOC_0_US-QUAKE-INDONESIA-1.xml&src=rss&rpc=22

By Heru Asprihanto

PANGANDARAN, Indonesia (Reuters) - At least 230 people were killed after a tsunami smashed into fishing villages and resorts on Indonesia's Java island, following a strong undersea earthquake, rescue officials said on Tuesday.

No warnings were reported despite regional efforts to establish early warning systems after the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami that killed 230,000, including 170,000 in Indonesia.

But many residents and tourists recognized the signs and fled to higher ground as the sea receded before huge waves came crashing ashore.

"There was no siren, just a roar, then everyone was running," 15-year-old Purama told the Australian Associated Press.

Officials said 231 people were confirmed dead and nearly 130 people were missing after Monday's huge waves crashed into the coast, washing away buildings, wooden cottages and kiosks lining the shoreline facing the Indian Ocean.

On Tuesday, soldiers were trying to retrieve bodies trapped under rubble.

Metro TV reported several bodies were found in trees along Pangandaran beach near the town of Ciamis, 270 km (170 miles) southeast of Jakarta.

A regional government official in Ciamis regency, the most hard-hit area, said deaths there totaled 171, while the Indonesian Red Cross said the dead in other areas totaled 60.

No other country reported casualties or damage from Monday's tsunami.

POPULAR TOURIST SPOT

Pangandaran, which bore the brunt of the tsunami, is a popular tourist spot with many small hotels on the beach with a nature reserve nearby.

Anxious survivors lifted sheets covering dozens of bodies lining a hospital floor as they searched for relatives missing after the waves battered their homes, leaving the area strewn with bamboo poles, fallen trees and collapsed straw huts.

TV footage showed a man flinging himself down onto the corpse of a small child, her body streaked with mud, alongside lines of bodies under plastic sheets in a makeshift morgue.

A Belgian tourist named Ian told Reuters Television his warning came when a waitress at a beachside bar ran by him screaming.

"I saw this big cloud of dark sea water coming up to me. So I grabbed the bag and started running ... and then the water grabbed me and pulled me under and I was thinking this is the end, I'm going down," he said.

But he grabbed onto a cooler and rode the wave into a nearby hotel.

Many people returned to salvage belongings such as boat engines and clothes from the wreckage of their homes after the tsunami destroyed fishing boats and damaged cafes, motels and restaurants up to 500 meters from the coastline.

The U.S.-based Pacific Tsunami Warning Center rated the quake magnitude at 7.2. It said the quake would not trigger "a destructive widespread tsunami threat", but could cause some local tsunamis.

Indonesian authorities at first put the quake's magnitude at 5.5, unlikely to cause a tsunami given the epicenter's distance from shore and depth under the sea. They later upgraded the figure to 6.8.

A much touted international warning system involving sophisticated detection buoys, which officials had hoped could be in place around the Indian Ocean by this time, has stalled.

Asked how many tsunami buoys Indonesia has in operation since it launched the warning system plan last year, a government official assigned to the project said: "none".

The epicenter of Tuesday's undersea quake was about 180 kilometers from the hardest hit spot on Java's southern coast.

Indonesia's 17,000 islands sprawl along a belt of intense volcanic and seismic activity, part of what is called the "Pacific Ring of Fire".

Earthquakes are frequent in Indonesia. In May, one near the city of Yogyakarta in central Java killed more than 5,700.

Dear Laura,

I have been a regular reader and observer of all your sites, and even bought the History of the World 2 years ago. I am Indonesian and was educated in the U.S. during the early 80's, stayed in New Mexico near Albqrq.

The Indonesian Archipelago is indeed unique, and I don't know where to begin to inform the rest of the world that there is SOMETHING here that directly related what you all at SOTT are discussing in many of the topic's subjects.

Please consider these facts:

- the ancient super volcano mount Toba is next to the epicenter of the quake that trigerred the Great tsunami of
2004, killed 240,000 lives worldwide.
- two other volcano eruptions that disrupted the whole world's climate: Krakatoa in 1883 and Tambora in 1815
- we may just have the most active volcanoes and the unstoppable mudflow currently inundating villages
- the island of Sulawesi is the meeting place of the old and the new world : both world's monkeys and many
unique primates live there.
- Papua in the east has the (?) largest Gold Mine in the world, operated by US Co. Rio Tinto
- Oil Producing (US owned) and (may) have uranium near the now, lake Toba.
- Most moslem population in one country (230 mill)
- Most Corrupt country several years running
- in one of the mountains in Jawa, there is supposedly a portal like the Stargate (?) Could you ask the C's?
- the first president of Indonesia, the late Mr. Sukarno, was overthrown by LBJ and the CIA, just after he went
to the US, and met with JFK.- (JFK was asassinated just after Sukarno met with him)
- when the king of Jawa was in the US, he was ill in late 1990's, the Airforce 1 flew him, only till Hawaii, where
then the Indonesian airline took him. (not well known fact)---there is a connection which was initiated thru
JFK and Sukarno. ( I sent emails about this to the SOTT site)
- Iran is working closely now with Indonesia for the nuclear enriching issues since Indonesia became a
member in the UN security council (non permanent), however in its history, Mr. Sukarno denouced the UN,
and left to form the Non-Alligned-Movement ( mostly south of Equatorial countries)
- The next highest casualties after the 9/11 with the bombing in Bali where nothing like that ever happen b4.

And as an Indonesian, as most of us do, we think of all the natural disasters happening here as a reminder from the Creator that there is much to be considered, and to the man-related accidents: Stop the Rampant Corruption and Killing of the younger generation.

STS are having a party in Indonesia !!

RAJAWANG said:
And as an Indonesian, as most of us do, we think of all the natural disasters happening here as a reminder from the Creator that there is much to be considered, and to the man-related accidents: Stop the Rampant Corruption and Killing of the younger generation.

STS are having a party in Indonesia !!
Yes, it seems so. In case you have never read it, here is a clip about the Indonesian tsunami

Cs 9 Jan 2005 said:
Q: (L) Regarding the recent earthquake and tsunami, there is a huge buzz on the net that this was not a natural phenomenon. Some say it could have been a meteor; others say it was a US nuke; others say it was India and Israel playing around in deep sea trenches. Then there is the speculation on an EM weapon of some description. The New agers are saying it was the start of the final 'Earth Changes". So what really caused this earthquake that happened one year minus one hour after the earthquake in Iran?

A: Pressure in earth. Not any of the proferred suggestions. But remember that the human cycle mirrors the cycle of catastrophe and human mass consciousness plays a part.

Q: In what way does mass consciousness play a part?

A: When those with higher centers are blocked from full manifestation of creative energy, that energy must go somewhere. If you cannot create "without" you create "within".

Q: (L) In other words the acts of the STS consortium in trying to suppress steal and control the creative energy from those with higher centers may be the cause of their own destruction because that energy is uncontrollable. (A) Yes but they bring it on everyone's head also. (J) Maybe that is their plan, after all they want to destroy the planet. (L) Yes but I don't think that people like Bush and his cronies want to destroy the planet, but then they don't know much about what goes on anyway. So, anything else on that? (A) Well we have this idea that the US, UK, Russia and France all knew about the coming tsunami and failed to tell anyone. Well, we know from some concrete evidence that the US and UK knew, but what about France and Russia who also have these capabilities with satellites etc to detect such things?

A: Indeed it was known and suppressed and do not underestimate France and Russia.

Q: Is that related to technology or evil intentions?

A: Tech, though some "evil" as well. There is still some balance in France. In this case the "evildoers" happened to be in the know.

I wonder how much longer there will be balance in France. No doubt Sarkozy is tasked with tipping the balance.

Laura said:
A: Tech, though some "evil" as well. There is still some balance in France. In this case the "evildoers" happened to be in the know.

Cs said:
Well, we know from some concrete evidence that the US and UK knew, but what about France and Russia who also have these capabilities with satellites etc to detect such things?
A: Indeed it was known and suppressed and do not underestimate France and Russia.
Q: Is that related to technology or evil intentions?
A: Tech, though some "evil" as well. There is still some balance in France.
There is still some balance in France point 'STILL' suggests France will be trown out of balance very soon with Sarko beating Segolene...
That suggests also that Mr Putin works for WHOM, damn?
It's not that i don't remember C's 'All [governments] are one', but i really hope so much that Putin &Co (and Chavez) are out of 4Dsts coalition of willing helpers club!

I still hold out some small hope regarding Putin myself. Just because Russia was mentioned doesn't mean that Putin was the "bad boy." Putin has a huge fight on his hand if he is really trying to get rid of the oligarch's network. (Network of psychopaths.)

Laura said:
I still hold out some small hope regarding Putin myself. Just because Russia was mentioned doesn't mean that Putin was the "bad boy." Putin has a huge fight on his hand if he is really trying to get rid of the oligarch's network. (Network of psychopaths.)
But don't they say "once a spy, always a spy"? I guess KGB was full of psychopaths. On the other hand, he may be a "patriot to the bone" that will do what ever needed to clean Russia from pests like oligarchs and such (Also not being nice with Zionists?)

There are also those recent pictures from "Mixed Fighting Championship" where you could see Putin, Claude Van Damme and Silvio Berlusconi together. Weird combination (I mean the fact that Putin hanging out with Berlusconi).
On the other hand, there is not even one picture where they shake hands or being close to each other.

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/ss/events/wl/103006silvioberlusco/im:/070415/481/mosb10704151138
http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/photos/events/wl/103006silvioberlusco/index/*http://news.yahoo.com/photos/ss/events/wl/103006silvioberlusco/im:/070415/ids_photos_wl/r1958580991.jpg
http://img.rian.ru/images/6368/58/63685855.jpg
http://news.yahoo.com/photos/ss/events/wl/103006silvioberlusco/im:/070415/481/mosb10504151135

Back
Top Bottom