Question about deodorants...

We need to avoid in all our hygiene products:Aluminum,parabens,philattes,Triclosan and fragrances .Some alternatives as deodorants could be:baking soda,coco oil,hydrogen peroxide,apple vinegar,lemon.

Currently some crystals deodorants are leveling "no aluminum chlorohydrate and endorsed by Cancer Treatment Centers"

Any suggestions about Ammonium Alum?

FWIW I use this kind of deodorant by Now Foods: https://smile.amazon.com/Foods-Long-Lasting-Deodorant-Stick/dp/B005DIBKJY/

It's mostly coconut oil, zinc oxide, and some essential oils. It leaves a white mark, which I'm fine with, but it does last for days typically. I personally have had better results with this than anything else I've used. The one downside is that it will melt in the heat (so having it shipped to you in the summer can be problematic, for example).

I use my homemade magnesium oil spray under my arms and it works extremely well unless I wear polyester. When I wear polyester I stink horribly no matter what I do so I have had to discard all clothes with a high polyester content.

I have been using homemade deodorant for the last five years and I am really happy.

People sweat but there are situations like in business meetings where I don't want to worry about body odour or anything the like. What I want to say is I am quite picky when it comes to deodorants.

I mix cocnut oil with equal amounts of Arrow Root or Tapioka starch and Sodium Bicarbonat and I add essential oils to my liking (mostly lemon grass, orange, sage and tangerine ). It works like a charm for me. You just have to get the ratio right as too much Sodium Bicarbonate can be itchy.
The deodorant got me through tense meetings, long runs. and quite a bit of drama - it is stress tested.
Just keep in mind that it can take some time to adjust if you go from all chemical to natural. I used to work in beauty PR and one client was a producer of deodorants, he told us that it can take a couple of weeks to get the chemicals out of your body if you are using one of the 48h deodarants. That was really disgusting and for me the last reaon I needed to ban all chemicals from the bathroom.

Woodsman said:
Well, I can confidently report that, they DO work! They don't have any of their own smell, and I find the salts remain effective at odor-killing for the whole day. Plus, the crystal lasts for months! I'm still using the first one I bought last year, and it's still about half its original size.

[...]

Aluminum, as I learned through the vaccine research threads, is not a health food. -The skin absorbs all kinds of stuff.., but is aluminum toxic in this particular salt form?

I've been using this type for years, and it works very well for me, too.

Also, after having used them for years, I did a test to see levels of heavy metals and other stuff, and aluminum was practically zero.

I concluded that either the aluminum doesn't get absorbed, or I detox it very easily.

I've been trialling Epsom salts (magnesium sulphide) mixed 50:50 with water over the last few days. It seems to deal with odour well. I've got it in a spray bottle and it's a bit runny so drips onto my under clothes before I get a chance to rub it in but other than that it works well enough until I try some of the other suggestions.

Scottie said:
Woodsman said:
Well, I can confidently report that, they DO work! They don't have any of their own smell, and I find the salts remain effective at odor-killing for the whole day. Plus, the crystal lasts for months! I'm still using the first one I bought last year, and it's still about half its original size.

[...]

Aluminum, as I learned through the vaccine research threads, is not a health food. -The skin absorbs all kinds of stuff.., but is aluminum toxic in this particular salt form?

Also, after having used them for years, I did a test to see levels of heavy metals and other stuff, and aluminum was practically zero.

I concluded that either the aluminum doesn't get absorbed, or I detox it very easily.

Okay, that's good to hear.

That's the kind of information I find useful. "Tested it myself: Here's how."

Thanks!

"Dusk" by Herban Cowboy is free of all the synthetic crap and smells better than any cologne i have smelled, it is honestly one of the most pleasant smells, period I have ever smelled. Highly recommended.

Hey Woodsman, I can't help you with the aluminum salts in crystal deodorants but I found a natural deodorant that really works for me. I do tend to sweat quite a bit and most natural options don't work as they either don't last or give me a rash.

Sodium bicarbonate on its own never worked for me because it didn't last long enough. But I accidentally came across this brand and it does the job very well. The list of ingredients has lots of different oils and fats but the deodorant isn't greasy at all. The active ingredient is bicarbonate of soda and arrowroot powder removes the greasiness.

This brand s very pricey so I make my own version of it where I mix bicarbonate of soda, arrowroot powder, fat or oil (I use beef dripping but I guess coconut oil would do the job too) and lemon essential oil and blend it into a paste. It seems to work even better than the 'original'!

You could make a bit more of it and put it into a deodorant stick as it feels almost the same if you leave it for a couple of hours.

Chu suggested trying soda bicarbonate with lemon juice - maybe that's why my combo with lemon oil drops works so well actually.

Those crystal deodorants worked for me too but I didn't want to risk the science behind their safety being as good as the science that proves fluoride is good for our teeth so I discontinued them. As different things work for different people, since we both were successful with crystal deodorants maybe the above mixture will work for you too?
I've been using something very similar to this for years, and even through intense physical labor for hours it holds up well. The recipe I use is this one(I do the one without the shea butter):
How to Make Natural Homemade Deodorant | Wellness Mama

"Dusk" by Herban Cowboy is free of all the synthetic crap and smells better than any cologne i have smelled, it is honestly one of the most pleasant smells, period I have ever smelled. Highly recommended.

That's the one I use too. It's a pretty good scent. But as with most smells, I can't go overboard with it. Too much makes me sneeze.

I've been using this one for some time now: Urtekram - Rose Crystal roll on deodorant (and the eucalyptus variant). I really like the brand, and I've had no problems with this product (or their other deodorants). It may not be perfect, as it has 'potassium alum'. Maybe I'll think about making my own in the future, but this one works for now. (I personally probably wouldn't use coconut oil, as my skin doesn't react well to it!)

I switched to the aluminum thing a few weeks ago, and I must say it works really well for me as well. Maybe it doesn't kill the odor quite as long as the self-made option I used before, but it is superior in keeping everything dry. And since it's so easy to apply, I just re-apply it in the afternoon in case it's necessary, which it usually isn't unless I was sweating a lot. It is this one I think:

deodorant-pierre-cristal-d-alun-bio-100-g-sante_7455-1.jpg

Maybe this sounds extreme but I use mild solution of hydrogen peroxide. It don't work all day, and it may course skin irritation in some cases, but it removes all bacteria from armpits in a second. You can also try iodine solution, but I didn't tried it.

Also try not use synthetic fibers because they are get dirty faster (electrostatic
effect) and bacteria multiply much faster on synthetic fibers than on natural fibers.

I also noticed that quality of meat I eat, heavily affect on how I smell.

I switched to the aluminum thing a few weeks ago, and I must say it works really well for me as well. Maybe it doesn't kill the odor quite as long as the self-made option I used before, but it is superior in keeping everything dry.

Well, I found that it does not act as an anti-perspirant for me, but then that's okay because I'm a sweat monster and I don't think it's possible for any product to stop me from sweating - unless it involved like nuclear fusion or something.

As for the efficacy, I found that I need to wet the stone and then apply it A LOT. I can't just do like 2 or 3 swipes, and it's done. I have to apply it thoroughly for about 20-30 seconds.

Also, the less furry you are, the easier it is to get Full Coverage. Less surface area for stinky bacteria, I guess. If you're a sasquatch and small woodland creatures occasionally appear from under your arms, try some weed-whacking first. :-P

So, with that very thorough once-daily application for years, I did my previously-mentioned metals test, and I still had 0 aluminum.

The one big problem with these deo-stones is that they do cause skin irritation for a lot of people. Even though I have fairly sensitive skin, that's never been a problem for me, which is kind of surprising. YMMV!

Reactions: luc
That's the one I use too. It's a pretty good scent. But as with most smells, I can't go overboard with it. Too much makes me sneeze.
Weontv has sold it to me so I've bought myself an early Christmas pressie. Will give it a try to see if it beats my current choice of...nothing! :)

Back
Top Bottom