Rahsaan Roland Kirk "Say a Little Prayer"

Mr. Premise

The Living Force
Uh oh. It's raining outside and I'm getting lost on YouTube thanks to Bholanath's other post about the Afghan musician!

Here is "Say a Little Prayer" by Rahsaan Roland Kirk.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VH-Gd-buULw&search=roland%20kirk#

Watch him play THREE saxophones at once without pausing for breaths. It is about the assassination of Martin Luther King (although the tune was written by Burt Bachrach, I think)

OMFG! thanks. Rahsaan's the Man. I probably haven't heard him for 35+ years, but now I know I wasn't insane at 15 cruisin with friends with our fake IDs to get into The Mann Hole and other clubs in L.A. to hear Rahsaan (and too many other monsters) sitting in the front row peeing our pants! Drunk on the beauty.

I was blessed to have seen him perform once. He had suffered a pretty bad stroke before I saw him and was partially paralyzed on one side. So he could only play TWO saxophones at once and only finger with one hand. The performance was beyond inspiring.

It was in a little ballroom and my friends and I were sitting in front of the bandstand. He died not too long after that.

Bholanath said:
OMFG! thanks. Rahsaan's the Man. I probably haven't heard him for 35+ years, but now I know I wasn't insane at 15 cruisin with friends with our fake IDs to get into The Mann Hole and other clubs in L.A. to hear Rahsaan (and too many other monsters) sitting in the front row peeing our pants! Drunk on the beauty.

Back
Top Bottom