Recipe request: Bone broth

Jono

Jedi Master
FOTCM Member
I made bone broth again today but there is just something about the taste that makes it a struggle for me to eat.

I want to avoid putting (especially carby) vegetables in it as much as possible. My gravy also failed miserably!

Has anyone had any experience masking the taste?

Immersion :)

Immersion said:
I made bone broth again today but there is just something about the taste that makes it a struggle for me to eat.

I want to avoid putting (especially carby) vegetables in it as much as possible. My gravy also failed miserably!

Has anyone had any experience masking the taste?

Immersion :)

Hi Immersion - not sure what you mean by the 'taste' being a struggle for you. You can post your entire routine for making bone broth (type of bones, length of cooking, any seasoning you include, how long, your definition of 'gravy', etc.) so we can get a better idea of how you are preparing it.

What kind of bone are you using? For myself, I don't particularly like the taste of just beef, or just lamb, but the combination (beef and lamb together) - I find quite tasty. I usually only put salt and pepper, but you may find adding onion or garlic (or other spices that you tolerate) will make it more palatable for you.

We found pork bones to be the best in terms of 'taste', fwiw.

Also, roasting the bones before cooking them adds an extra flavor to the bone broth :)

Sorry, I should have said the smell. I found that it's not really the taste as I just enjoyed a great cup of beef bone broth, but I'm certainly going to brown them next time thanks :)

As long as I put tonnes of salt/pepper in and hold my nose it seems to be okay now I've lost my cravings for carby/sweet foods.

My gravy attempt was roasting some beef and then putting the cut offs and juice in a shallow pan, adding the broth then salt and paper, but it didn't have the gravy colour or taste. Do you have any better methods 1984?

If you're making the gravy in the pan you cooked the beef in - you need to make sure that any residue is not burned to the pan. The burnt residue can really spoil the flavour of anything that you try to cook in there if that was the case. Perhaps try pouring the juices from your roast in to another container to make the gravy in, and taste it before adding any stock/broth. If you cooked/boiled any vegetables with your meal, perhaps add some of the water from that to add more flavours?

Typical off-the-shelf gravy always has some form of colouring in it - and I think cornflour was a typical thickening agent.

I have made my first crock pot of Bone Broth, with a couple of lamb bones and some pork bones.

My crock pot has two setting, low and high. On high, the broth simmers gently. On low, the broth is almost cool enough to drink, straight after straining it into a cup. To avoid bacteria growing though, I am wondering if it would be best for me to just leave the crock pot on high?

I don't have a chef's thermometer, so I don't know the exact temperature of the broth on the low setting.

I am planning to just keep the crock pot on for a few days, before maybe freezing or refrigerating what I haven't drunk of it.

I forced myself to drink it a few times and now the smell is enjoyable as the taste :)

Mal7 said:
I have made my first crock pot of Bone Broth, with a couple of lamb bones and some pork bones.

My crock pot has two setting, low and high. On high, the broth simmers gently. On low, the broth is almost cool enough to drink, straight after straining it into a cup. To avoid bacteria growing though, I am wondering if it would be best for me to just leave the crock pot on high?

I don't have a chef's thermometer, so I don't know the exact temperature of the broth on the low setting.

I am planning to just keep the crock pot on for a few days, before maybe freezing or refrigerating what I haven't drunk of it.

I keep mine refrigerated and it lasts for over a week, but by then it's usually all gone anyway.

I believe the bone broth does need to 'simmer' in order to get all the goodness out and kill any nasties, so high sounds like a good idea. Apple cider vinegar also helps to bring out a lot of minerals from the bones.

Thank you Immersion. The bone broth is going well. I have been avoiding gluten for 3 days now, and counting carbohydrates.

I now think my crock pot is probably good enough on the low setting for most of the time. With the first cup I was worried it was a little under-powered on Low, but that cup I transferred from one vessel to another about three times, in the process of straining it, which cooled it off quite a lot.

I put half an onion and a few stalks of celery in my broth, as those are vegetables that don't end up tasting bitter after being simmered for hours.

Then when I want to drink some I scoop out about 1/3 of a cupful of broth, put it through a strainer from one cup to another, and then add a little salt and pepper (I didn't add any salt or pepper to the broth in the crock pot), and some cold water so it is just warm.

I am feeling better already I think. My appetite is good too, I had 3 pork sausages [oops! I just checked the label on the sausages, and they had Hydrolysed Vegetable Protein in them] and 2 eggs for dinner last night. Previously I practically never cooked at home, and just kept eating more toast and drinking more coffee when my energy levels were low. I am still eating sushi (white rice, avocado & salmon), but have stopped using soy sauce. I am also having a couple of vitamin supplements (magnesium, Vitamin B) and a couple of Omega-3 fish oil capsules each day.

I am going for a swim every second or third day too, nothing too strenuous, swimming 300 or 400 metres of laps per visit, and some diving in the diving pool when it is open.

I have been browsing new areas of the supermarket - the international section, the gourmet section, the gluten-free section, the Atkins diet section, the bone section (next time for the bones though, I will try a local organic pork shop).

Mal7 said:
Thank you Immersion. The bone broth is going well. I have been avoiding gluten for 3 days now, and counting carbohydrates.

I am still eating sushi (white rice, avocado & salmon), but have stopped using soy sauce. I am also having a couple of vitamin supplements (magnesium, Vitamin B) and a couple of Omega-3 fish oil capsules each day.

I'm glad to hear it's going well for you :)

Have you read the recommended reading for the diet? 'Primal Body, Primal Mind' is a great book to start on. Most people here eat zero to very little carbohydrates and get their main fuel from fat.

This thread is also well worth the read, it contains forum members experiences with adapting to the ketogenic diet.
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,28799.0.html

Apologies if you've already discovered this information, but I thought it was worth pointing just in case.

Immersion said:
Mal7 said:

I am still eating sushi (white rice, avocado & salmon), but have stopped using soy sauce. I am also having a couple of vitamin supplements (magnesium, Vitamin B) and a couple of Omega-3 fish oil capsules each day.

Have you read the recommended reading for the diet? 'Primal Body, Primal Mind' is a great book to start on. Most people here eat zero to very little carbohydrates and get their main fuel from fat.

This thread is also well worth the read, it contains forum members experiences with adapting to the ketogenic diet.

Apologies if you've already discovered this information, but I thought it was worth pointing just in case.

Since Mal7 is just starting to get off gluten as a first step to bettering his health, the best thread for him to read right now is the Life Without Bread thread. There are many things that people went through getting off of gluten, sugars, etc. and their experiences with it that are very essential reading. Many questions can be answered there.

It is best to read LWB first and do what was done there before going into the Ketogenic Diet. Jumping right in to the KD is not recommended.

It really is the best to KNOW why you are doing what you are doing BEFORE doing it. Knowledge protects. And there is a lot of knowledge in both of these threads.

I make mine with beef and pork bones, and ocasionally some chicken bones too. Then salt, onions, garlic and carrots. Will taste better if you immerse the bones in cold water before bringing it to the stove.

Nienna said:
Immersion said:
Mal7 said:

Since Mal7 is just starting to get off gluten as a first step to bettering his health, the best thread for him to read right now is the Life Without Bread thread. There are many things that people went through getting off of gluten, sugars, etc. and their experiences with it that are very essential reading. Many questions can be answered there.

It is best to read LWB first and do what was done there before going into the Ketogenic Diet. Jumping right in to the KD is not recommended.

It really is the best to KNOW why you are doing what you are doing BEFORE doing it. Knowledge protects. And there is a lot of knowledge in both of these threads.

In that case I'm sorry for sticking my neck out Mal :)

Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom