Remembering why we’re here when times are tough

Hesper

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
A big thank you to Ennio for starting this fantastic thread, and for everyone who has posted their thoughts and strategies. I think that a lot of people needed to hear this message; I express my deepest respect to everyone out there slogging through these tough times.

It reminds me of what I read once - that it's not a matter of whether or not this thing we call Work, or even just daily life, break us, because they're bound to break us. The most important thing is what we do after we've been broken down. As Khalil Gibran wrote in The Prophet:

You have been told also that life is darkness, and in your weariness you echo what was said by the weary. And I say that life is indeed darkness save when there is urge, And all urge is blind save when there is knowledge, And all knowledge is vain save when there is work, And all work is empty save when there is love; And when you work with love you bind yourself to yourself, and to one another, and to God.

I guess, deep down, that commitment is what keeps me going. Happy New Years to everyone.
 

Marina9

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Hesper said:
A big thank you to Ennio for starting this fantastic thread, and for everyone who has posted their thoughts and strategies. I think that a lot of people needed to hear this message; I express my deepest respect to everyone out there slogging through these tough times.

It reminds me of what I read once - that it's not a matter of whether or not this thing we call Work, or even just daily life, break us, because they're bound to break us. The most important thing is what we do after we've been broken down. As Khalil Gibran wrote in The Prophet:

You have been told also that life is darkness, and in your weariness you echo what was said by the weary. And I say that life is indeed darkness save when there is urge, And all urge is blind save when there is knowledge, And all knowledge is vain save when there is work, And all work is empty save when there is love; And when you work with love you bind yourself to yourself, and to one another, and to God.

I guess, deep down, that commitment is what keeps me going. Happy New Years to everyone.

Thank you Hesper for your words, and sharing this excerpt from Khalil. I would like to add this little piece from the poem:

Always you have been told that work is a curse and labour a misfortune.
But I say to you that when you work you fulfill a part of earth's furthest dream, assigned to you when that dream was born,
And in keeping yourself with labour you are in truth loving life,
And to love life through labour is to be intimate with life's inmost secret.

Happy New Years to you too and everyone else, and we shall all keep on going! :rockon:
 

PerfectCircle

Jedi Master
Hesper said:
A big thank you to Ennio for starting this fantastic thread, and for everyone who has posted their thoughts and strategies. I think that a lot of people needed to hear this message; I express my deepest respect to everyone out there slogging through these tough times.

It reminds me of what I read once - that it's not a matter of whether or not this thing we call Work, or even just daily life, break us, because they're bound to break us. The most important thing is what we do after we've been broken down. As Khalil Gibran wrote in The Prophet:

You have been told also that life is darkness, and in your weariness you echo what was said by the weary. And I say that life is indeed darkness save when there is urge, And all urge is blind save when there is knowledge, And all knowledge is vain save when there is work, And all work is empty save when there is love; And when you work with love you bind yourself to yourself, and to one another, and to God.

I guess, deep down, that commitment is what keeps me going. Happy New Years to everyone.

You have just made motivational post, thank you :)
 

Mike

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I found the SOTT/Cass websites in 2005 or maybe a little earlier and the comments on articles and some SOTT articles themselves were Work related. I was already realizing at the time that to some degree I had multiple i’s from reading and thinking about a lot of classic literature and identifying with what certain characters were going through. Then I started reading the Wave and other available material online. That and the connections, comments and commentary being done daily on what was going on via SOTT with Flashbacks etc blew me away and made me sit up and take notice that this is something I wanted to be involved in and that I really valued very highly. It played a major role in making the decision to get out of the Navy an easy decision, even if the process of coming to terms with what I was serving and the true state of the United States and its history tore me apart in a lot of ways. I’ll always be grateful for the efforts of others to help me see a different way.

I think what kept me going then when I was down is a sense of wonder and the excitement of discovering or learning about something new almost on a daily basis and how much my perspective on every aspect of life and reality was being changed and widened. Now in general when I’m down or discouraged, etc I tend to just think about where I was then as a person and how much I’ve changed in a positive way based on my involvement, efforts and especially the efforts of others. It is a little unsettling to think if I hadn’t searched and found SOTT and got involved where I might be as a person. I think I’d just be lost in a lot of ways and thinking about that keeps me going.

What kept you and keeps you working on connecting to what’s being done here when the feelings of being overwhelmed, discouraged, depressed, etc. come, and you find yourself pulling away or having the feelings of giving up?

I had some very significant difficulties, specifically episodes of psychosis and recovery from them and putting my life back together each time it happened. I tend not think about where my mind went during those times much now, because it is unsettling to me and I don’t want to ever go down that path again, other than it being the most extreme form of personal illusion I can think of for days on end (illusion as per a recent C’s session).

Honestly, a lot of what kept me interested in living then each time I recovered from a run of psychosis, then re-connecting to what was happening on the Cass forum and then eventually getting back involved with being an active member was a deep curiosity to see how everything was going to turn out. I also feel lucky to be alive and mentally healthy, even if I lose touch with that a lot in the activities of daily life.

Another part that kept me going and not giving up then, even if I was having at times extreme problems, and keeps me going now is that I could and can contribute in some way, such as by donating money or writing a post with some research or thought that might help someone, to the extraordinary efforts others were and are making and really to the greatest story, quest, mission and message I’ve ever heard of. It is sobering and inspiring to me at the same time.

Finally, what also keeps me going is a total disagreement (I can’t find the right words for how I feel) with what is being done to people and the earth. The manipulation, lies and controlling of others that has and is happening makes me angry. It makes me angry that people are dying and killing for lies and agendas they have no clue about. It makes me angry that people are so propagandized and lied to that they can’t see reality in an objective way.
 

Ennio

SuperModerator
Moderator
FOTCM Member
Bear said:
I had some very significant difficulties, specifically episodes of psychosis and recovery from them and putting my life back together each time it happened. I tend not think about where my mind went during those times much now, because it is unsettling to me and I don’t want to ever go down that path again, other than it being the most extreme form of personal illusion I can think of for days on end (illusion as per a recent C’s session).

Honestly, a lot of what kept me interested in living then each time I recovered from a run of psychosis, then re-connecting to what was happening on the Cass forum and then eventually getting back involved with being an active member was a deep curiosity to see how everything was going to turn out. I also feel lucky to be alive and mentally healthy, even if I lose touch with that a lot in the activities of daily life.

Bear, what you wrote required a lot of courage and honesty, and speaks strongly to the efforts you've made to stay connected and the value you hold for what's being done here. Your sharing is appreciated. It somehow reminds me of ark's signature line: "And so, let me repeat: who wants to believe - let them believe. But I do not want to believe, I want to know." Its as though this deep curiosity you mention - to see how everything is going to turn out - is something of a driver, also, to have a hand in, or influence on, how everything turns out.

I think that this intense curiosity or 'soul questing' if nurtured and shared with others can help us to realize connection for ourselves and for others that we would not otherwise have dreamed possible. I think and hope also that we are on the very cusp of this realization.

Bear said:
Another part that kept me going and not giving up then, even if I was having at times extreme problems, and keeps me going now is that I could and can contribute in some way, such as by donating money or writing a post with some research or thought that might help someone, to the extraordinary efforts others were and are making and really to the greatest story, quest, mission and message I’ve ever heard of. It is sobering and inspiring to me at the same time.

Yeah, I think that particularly when we're struggling its an especially good time to do *something* that serves to inspire or propel us forward. We might not be earning gold stars and congratulations, but we can give ourselves a little pat on the back in acknowledgment of our efforts (or maybe a gold dot ;)) and then continue to get on with the business of contributing in some manner, shape or form. When we do stuff, it serves as a reminder that our problems are sometimes not quite as big as we make them out to be. And oftentimes with a little perspective, or efforts in the right direction, an opportunity to grow.

As for being a part of "the greatest story, quest, mission and message I’ve ever heard of" - a very big yes to that too! I sometimes think that I'll never ever - out of all my lifetimes - have an opportunity as I have right now to do things and be a part of something that is so meaningful and essential as this.

Bear said:
Finally, what also keeps me going is a total disagreement (I can’t find the right words for how I feel) with what is being done to people and the earth. The manipulation, lies and controlling of others that has and is happening makes me angry. It makes me angry that people are dying and killing for lies and agendas they have no clue about. It makes me angry that people are so propagandized and lied to that they can’t see reality in an objective way.

Don't get me started :mad:
 
Hi all
I just bookmarked this thread because after going through it I found some piece of me in almost every post. So, here is mine. When times get tough and I need help to stay here because I chose to do the work, I am going to open this this thread and reaffirm all the reasons why as I read it and visualize the white lights as they begin to turn on and off like the ones on a Christmas tree.
Thanks for the thread Ennio. Bear, I found your post very close to my struggle too. By networking here we give love to our own soul as well as to others by responding to their posts. Knowing that you are are not alone in the struggle or the suffering is the reason we are here, or so I think.
 

Mariama

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Initially I wanted to post the following video in the Jordan Peterson thread, because it reminded me of his writing assignment which I purchased over Christmas. Jordan mentions there that setting a goal in times of emotional upset is clearly useful. Here is a snippet:
The formation and pursuit of goals can be a valuable tool in coping with loss or trauma. The ability to “get on with life” following a traumatic incident appears closely allied with recovery. Failure to do so appears associated with depression, motivated by the apparent hopelessness of all activity. A number of researchers have found support for the psychological benefits of forming plans following a traumatic loss.
http://www.selfauthoring.com/doc/WritingBenefits.pdf

In this video you can see how Bashar Assad and his wife talk to women and children who were kidnapped by these scumbag terrorists. He actually gives them an assignment/a goal and tells them to get on with their lives and that they are not alone. I would never have thought of this myself, but then it struck me that Jordan had written the same thing.

The video is very moving and shows us also the benefits of community in times of hardship. So, remembering that we are NOT alone and writing down our goals may be very worthwhile even though the whole world is burning. FWIW.


https://youtu.be/wCZc-yd_LpE
 

Voyageur

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Mariama said:
Initially I wanted to post the following video in the Jordan Peterson thread, because it reminded me of his writing assignment which I purchased over Christmas. Jordan mentions there that setting a goal in times of emotional upset is clearly useful. Here is a snippet:
The formation and pursuit of goals can be a valuable tool in coping with loss or trauma. The ability to “get on with life” following a traumatic incident appears closely allied with recovery. Failure to do so appears associated with depression, motivated by the apparent hopelessness of all activity. A number of researchers have found support for the psychological benefits of forming plans following a traumatic loss.
http://www.selfauthoring.com/doc/WritingBenefits.pdf

In this video you can see how Bashar Assad and his wife talk to women and children who were kidnapped by these scumbag terrorists. He actually gives them an assignment/a goal and tells them to get on with their lives and that they are not alone. I would never have thought of this myself, but then it struck me that Jordan had written the same thing.

The video is very moving and shows us also the benefits of community in times of hardship. So, remembering that we are NOT alone and writing down our goals may be very worthwhile even though the whole world is burning. FWIW.


https://youtu.be/wCZc-yd_LpE

FWIW, although from February, indeed, thank you for posting this!
 

Jones

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Initially I wanted to post the following video in the Jordan Peterson thread, because it reminded me of his writing assignment which I purchased over Christmas. Jordan mentions there that setting a goal in times of emotional upset is clearly useful.

I just come across a Jordan Peterson video and was going to post it in a depression thread but my search turned up this one and I think it's better placed here.

I'm glad that I found this thread at this time because I've been in a bit of a funk for a while and the video reminded me of some simple steps when things that are easily forgotten when things get chaotic.


I tend to go through a loop of anger at myself for choices I've made, despair at how the repercussions of those choices have unfolded, resenting the position I find myself in and frustration at the realisation that I could have been better positioned for these times and I missed opportunities to do that. The way out if that spiral for me is basically along the lines of what Peterson says above. Add to his thoughts that there seems to be greater feeling of uplifting in taking others into account when taking the steps he suggests.

The flip side is that I learned some valuable things through making the wrong choices. Leaving my ex cut me off from a group of people that I truly appreciated and that hurt a lot, at the same time I realise that had I stayed connected to them, I probably wouldn't be taking some of the steps and learning the lessons I am now.

At times the global situation terrifies me, but always there is this hope that there is something better and it's time will come. Best I can do is be as prepared as possible for both.
 
Last edited:

Joan

Jedi Council Member
FOTCM Member
@ Jones the Ytube video link you posted gives a 404 message. It is no longer available.
 

Ennio

SuperModerator
Moderator
FOTCM Member
Thanks for your thoughts and the inspiring JP video, Jones. Know that you are not alone in the difficulty of reflecting on mistakes, regrets, missed opportunities, etc. etc, ad nauseam - especially at a time that is so fraught with chaos, uncertainty, and yes, sometimes, terror. But what does seem to help, at least for me, in the midst of this growing storm, is the continued efforts here, there, that place and this, to make things better. Seeing through even the "small" goals helps gives me impetus, will, motivation to continue to try and ever improve things and get out of the mire and the funk that seems so ever-ready to ensnare and immobilize. And neither is that what I want for myself nor what I imagine what most of us want for ourselves.

So, as you say, we'd do best to remind ourselves that "there is this hope that there is something better and it's time will come. Best I can do is be as prepared as possible for both." With that I'd say: let's keep pushing forward, even if it doesn't look perfect all the time, and have a little faith that, with these efforts we're making - the inspiration, resources, knowledge, insight and little miracles will make their way into our lives because we've made the necessary space for them.
 

Mariama

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
I tend to go through a loop of anger at myself for choices I've made, despair at how the repercussions of those choices have unfolded, resenting the position I find myself in and frustration at the realisation that I could have been better positioned for these times and I missed opportunities to do that. The way out if that spiral for me is basically along the lines of what Peterson says above. Add to his thoughts that there seems to be greater feeling of uplifting in taking others into account when taking the steps he suggests.

The flip side is that I learned some valuable things through making the wrong choices. Leaving my ex cut me off from a group of people that I truly appreciated and that hurt a lot, at the same time I realise that had I stayed connected to them, I probably wouldn't be taking some of the steps and learning the lessons I am now.
Absolutely! I sometimes even think that all the mistakes I made and the stuff I had to go through will help me in these times of trouble. At least I know what to do when negative feelings and thoughts wash over me. It's like a life review if you will and every time I see and understand something (new) about myself it makes me more determined to change that what I don't like in myself. The flip side being that we can make amends to the Universe.

Recently, I decided to do some courses and volunteering which could be helpful in the job market. Being focused on acquiring or brushing up on some skills really helps me get my aims in order. Having an aim, albeit a professional one, helps me streamline my negative thoughts and assumptions about myself. I have been meaning to learn these skills for a long time, but never got round to it and perhaps now is the right time to prepare for when times get better or worse.
So, as you say, we'd do best to remind ourselves that "there is this hope that there is something better and it's time will come. Best I can do is be as prepared as possible for both." With that I'd say: let's keep pushing forward, even if it doesn't look perfect all the time, and have a little faith that, with these efforts we're making - the inspiration, resources, knowledge, insight and little miracles will make their way into our lives because we've made the necessary space for them.
I had a few small miracles make their way into my life recently and it completely caught me by surprise. Here I was thinking doom and gloom thoughts about certain situations, but then the Universe stepped in and showed me the opposite was true. That said, it's important to remain open-minded and to not anticipate. My two cents.
 

Nathancat7

Jedi Master
I found myself acting out and I just said heck no I'm not going down that road again. Also some repectful people called me a dick, and I knew I had to change.
That was helpful too.
And I realize that everything I do comes down to a decision to improve personal hygiene and move forward and be constructive in other words what can I do with my time.
Into comments really stuck with me.
One was when someone said "you have to start somewhere, I did."
Perlue said (sp. and paraphrasing): "I live and breathe Laura from the moment I wake up to when I go to sleep,"
I find that very inspiring.
 

Nathancat7

Jedi Master
I think the other thing is is I just sort of felt and I still obviously have lots and lots of work to do, I just sort of felt that despite all my fault self-pity ramping insanity I was cared about me, and strangely enough that was enough to make me just want to straighten up and work harder and apply myself.
 
Top Bottom