Reversing Desertification

sbeaudry

Jedi Council Member
This is similar to the article From a desert to a paradise: Regenerative agriculture finds solid backing as decades of success show renewal -- Sott.net and may help reinforce the idea that livestock, when handled appropriately, is actually good for the environment, necessary even, which I'm pretty sure is foreign to many and certainly totally and completely contradicts the headline grabbing "Green New Deal," which is quite frankly a complete joke. Many people see the joke in the fact that moving away from "fossil" fuels and air travel would destroy the country but may perhaps miss the more sinister part which aims to take away our meat, those farting cows.
I think Allan Savory's Ted talk was carried on Sott a few years back and apparently he came out with a new documentary, which is mentioned in the article and the video is embedded in its entirety (47 minutes). I admit I have not watched it yet, but I do plan on it. Maybe others could post some comments on the video here? Anyway, here is the article summary:

Story at-a-glance
  • The conversion of large amounts of fertile land to desert has long been thought to be caused by livestock, such as sheep and cattle overgrazing and giving off methane. This has now been shown to be incorrect, as removing animals to protect lands speeds up desertification
  • According to Allan Savory, an African ecologist, dramatically increasing the number of grazing livestock is the only thing that can reverse both desertification and climate change
  • Concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs) and large-scale monocrop farms directly contribute to climate change and environmental pollution
  • To improve soil quality, we must improve its ability to maintain water. Once land has turned to bone-dry desert, any rain simply evaporates and/or runs off. The solution is twofold: The ground must be covered with vegetation, and animals must roam across the land
  • In the documentary, “Running Out of Time,” Savory details his holistic herd and land management plan, and shows how land that has turned to desert can be brought back to become fertile and productive once again through the use of livestock
Edited: Typo and grammar

I think what is interesting about Savory was that he had to move his thinking (as an old state policy maker) 180 degrees. The video expands on his original Ted Talk to encompass what has been going on since. He has also established the Savory Institute in Bolder Colorado here with the goal to reeducate American farmers (and make an impact on the policy makers who closed up Federal land to grazing).

Unfortunately, imo, the themes still echo Global Warming aka AGW C02 as is seen in the Mercola article near the end; although it is a case against factory farming (correctly) that uses C02 as the incorrect lever. The film cited is worth the watch.

Back
Top Bottom