Romantic Fiction, Reality Shaping and The Work

I see some folks using it (Being OPEN document, we will not know who they are) and found some data got modified. I locked this sheet to avoid further changes of the sheet. I will restore the original data. You will still be able to see the data.
The sheet back to original state. Since the sheet is locked, you won't be able to filter it or update it. But, you can create a temporary "Filter view" for your self ( screen color changes) and use it. The changes you make will not be updated to the original sheet. Here is menu path. This will create temporary copy for you use it and modify. But, filter view will be discarded when you close it.

filterView.jpg

Here is an article on it

Those of you who wants to update the Other language titles, please post it here for now.

I've been really stubborn about digging into some of these (a lot of others report this same stubbornness?), I was recommended the Westcott series in another thread, and it's just not... Going... Maybe because it feels like assigned reading? I wouldn't have touched this sort of 'historical romance' thing with a 10 foot pole, maybe in part because growing up, my mother had a giant pile of these sorts of books. Jane Austen worked for me once upon a time, and then I went cuckoo for cocoa puffs. (Tangentially, this is an excellent pile of books after reading Pride and Prejudice:
Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman Series) Do you just keep flicking through books until one starts flowing for you? (I'm sorry if this was answered before but this is a long thread.)

If reading romances in general is the priority, as long as it's not gratuitously laden with smut or an endorsement of licentiousness, and the story is 'getting over yourselves for the sake of others' at some point, are you good to go?

I feel like revisiting this series I read a bit of a long time ago: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XXDLZ19?searchxofy=true&binding=kindle_edition

If it's nothing but trash, I'll dump it, but I'm a tremendously stubborn fool who needs the alarm clock to go off thrice in order to wake up and to burn her hand on a hot stove to finally get something to sink in. After that, then, I guess it's "Seven Nights In A Rogue's Bed" for me... 🤣

On another note, I just reviewed the Romance Novel spread sheet, and I saw it mentioned earlier in the thread, but I did not see the Bedwyn Saga from Mary Balogh in the list, although I am working my way through it, is there a reason or was it perhaps simply missed? Either way, I am enjoying meeting the Bedwyns :)

Bedwyn saga may be included as well.

The sheet back to original state. Since the sheet is locked, you won't be able to filter it or update it. But, you can create a temporary "Filter view" for your self ( screen color changes) and use it. The changes you make will not be updated to the original sheet. Here is menu path. This will create temporary copy for you use it and modify. But, filter view will be discarded when you close it.

View attachment 43969

Here is an article on it

Those of you who wants to update the Other language titles, please post it here for now.
I have tried without success to copy this list for me and then I wanted to have the sheet printed. What I have to do? Surely it is possible to do it? I prefer to have the list on paper. Thanks!

I have tried without success to copy this list for me and then I wanted to have the sheet printed. What I have to do? Surely it is possible to do it? I prefer to have the list on paper. Thanks!
To print the document, open the sheet (link here) and then:
- go to "File" (first choice in upper left) and then choose "Print" (last one in drop-down menu)
or
- press Ctrl+P and it will open Print window.

In the same "File" menu, you can choose also "Download" option and download entire document to your computer.

Hope this helps.... :-)

I once upon a time (about 40 years ago) in my cavaliering days decided to take Ballroom Dancing lessons (to meet girls I confess). If I recall correctly the waltz is danced "heel-toe, toe-heel" in a graceful rise and fall tempo while turning and making a circle around the floor. A very large part of the experience is the wearing of elegant costumes and the structured social interactions between male and female. Competition dances were the places where you put on display your best skill, behavior and costumes.

Notwithstanding the fact that there was a money making racket element to the industry, it was a fine life experience. There weren't many young single males going for it and most of the students were older married couples looking to open a new dimension to their lives together and single lonely older ladies who craved the embrace of a partner.

My hinges not being as well oiled as some, it was a struggle to move from awkward idiot to swave debonaire man of the world, but it was worth a try. One competition dance we attended at this ritzy country club. The men were in their tucks and patent leather shoes, the ladies their finest gowns and jewels, the food and drink flowing, it came time for my solo exhibition dance with my teacher. we had the floor to ourselves while all eyes were on us as we began our well choreographed and practiced routine. The audience was glued on us as we made our way from slow start to more excited moves. I enthusiastically lead my lady with a few twirls and spins, making the audience applaud and smile happily.

We concluded the routine and took our bow to excited acclaim. I felt like Fred Astaire. My teacher was an attractive young lady who had the talent and looks of Ginger Rodgers. She was blushing red as a beet and gripping my hand tightly and after accepting the crowd's generous approval, she dragged us off stage quickly.

Backstage she was brooding some secret that indicated to me that she was troubled about the routine. She confided that during the costume change before our routine she had forgotten to put on her panties.

I've been really stubborn about digging into some of these (a lot of others report this same stubbornness?), I was recommended the Westcott series in another thread, and it's just not... Going... Maybe because it feels like assigned reading?

Maybe it is somewhat like "assigned" reading. But remember, participation is by choice. There are the books that are listed as part of the project, and you can read them in any order you like though reading series together is highly recommended for your own enjoyment. You can read them as fast or slow as you like.

It's not much different than other reading projects where a book or books are named as the center of a project, many read them, and participate in the discussion.

I wouldn't have touched this sort of 'historical romance' thing with a 10 foot pole, maybe in part because growing up, my mother had a giant pile of these sorts of books. Jane Austen worked for me once upon a time, and then I went cuckoo for cocoa puffs. (Tangentially, this is an excellent pile of books after reading Pride and Prejudice:
Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman Series)

Those sound a bit priggish and boring to me.

Do you just keep flicking through books until one starts flowing for you? (I'm sorry if this was answered before but this is a long thread.)

No. I think you will have to read the thread. No pain, no gain. There is no real shortcut except that this project does, in a way, appear to be something of a shortcut of another kind.

If reading romances in general is the priority, as long as it's not gratuitously laden with smut or an endorsement of licentiousness, and the story is 'getting over yourselves for the sake of others' at some point, are you good to go?

Not sure what you mean by the above. Again, I think you should continue to read the thread. Or just dive in and start with one of the books on the reading list.

I feel like revisiting this series I read a bit of a long time ago: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XXDLZ19?searchxofy=true&binding=kindle_edition

If it's nothing but trash, I'll dump it, but I'm a tremendously stubborn fool who needs the alarm clock to go off thrice in order to wake up and to burn her hand on a hot stove to finally get something to sink in. After that, then, I guess it's "Seven Nights In A Rogue's Bed" for me... 🤣

The series you have linked above is definitely no-go.

You'll encounter plenty of stubborn fools in the reading list and have a good opportunity to get inside their heads and see what stubborn foolishness leads to. You don't have to start with "Seven Nights..." there's a whole reading list and much discussion of various series and titles. Why not continue to browse a bit through the thread and then decide where you want to start? If I had to recommend a place for you to start, it might be the Web series by Mary Balogh.

Last edited:
For general interest:
Those dances are harmonious and graceful. In a previous post:
Regency dances - the techniques and the steps
[...]
RegencyDances.org has more details the dances. And there are so many, just check this list by year: For each dance there is a short video that shows the step sequence, but the basic steps are found on RegencyDances.org - your index to 19th century dances
After watching the video, I looked up the above page and the link about steps:
The Dance Steps
We are lucky that, apart from the rare solo sequences, only a small number of basic steps are sufficient for almost any ball. Where solo sequences are required, it is acceptable for a dancer to use simple or complex steps as he or she is able. Don't over-elaborate to show off.

As Donald Francis says - "above all, dancing is a pastime to bring people together to enjoy themselves, to show respect and mix with a wide range of different backgrounds all with a common denominator of using our feet to design fascinating shapes on the floor. There will always be those who can do this with elegance and those who, as hard as they try, find it hard to reach the same level. A smile on a face is worth more than any discussion on step interpretation."

So don't worry. It is sufficient if your steps can be neat and timely. After all, anything too extreme or 'balletic' would have been looked down upon by the snobbish English ton!
The etiquette of the ballroom is also described. Anyone who has read some novels might have encountered "Almacks":
Public Assembly rooms, from Almacks to the smaller towns such as Basingstoke or Ramsgate had strict written byelaws, abuse of which would result in fines or dismissal. They include dress codes, decorum, and practical considerations. For example, gentlemen were always required to leave their swords at the door!
And:
During a dance the first lady would select the tune to be played, and the figures to be danced to that tune. When dances were performed in longways sets, the first couple would start the dance and repeat it down the set, with new couples joining in the dance as the first couple reached them. The dance didn't end until the first couple got back to the start of the set; a single dance might take half an hour or more to complete!
A comment on the expression "to lead someone a merry dance"
Because the ladies were those setting the tune to be played and the pattern of how to dance to this tune, it is hardly difficult to imagine a possible origin of the phrase, "to lead someone a merry dance" which occurs in some of the novels like in Christmas Bride, by Mary Balogh where one reads.
“You would lead him a merry dance, I daresay,” Mrs. Cross said. “But I believe he would be equal to the task.
Collins Dictionary has a definition.
If someone leads you a merry dance, they make you do things over a long period of time which cause you problems and do not benefit you in any way.
[British, old-fashioned]
Add to this that there were so many dances, as if they went in and out of fashion, so how to catch up with it all? But then the expression may also have a different meaning if qualifications followed. An example from the same novel:
I said I would lead you a merry dance, Edgar,” she said, smiling brightly at him. “The word merry was the key one.” She slipped her arm through his. “I will not risk the safety of your heir, never fear. He—or she—is more important to me than almost anything else in my life. But I am not yet willing to let go of Christmas. Perhaps I never will. I will carry Christmas about with me every day for the rest of my life, a sprig of holly behind one ear, mistletoe behind the other.”
If anyone has a wish to learn a merry dance, here one can find dance societies that practice historical dances

To print the document, open the sheet (link here) and then:
- go to "File" (first choice in upper left) and then choose "Print" (last one in drop-down menu)
or
- press Ctrl+P and it will open Print window.

In the same "File" menu, you can choose also "Download" option and download entire document to your computer.

Hope this helps.... :-)
Thank you. It works but the font that appears is minuscule. I tried to put it bigger but when saved it is still minuscule. Well, the only way is to check the list here. Thank you!

Thank you. It works but the font that appears is minuscule. I tried to put it bigger but when saved it is still minuscule. Well, the only way is to check the list here. Thank you!
I assumed that would happen.

What you can do is:
- open the sheet
- select columns: "BookId" "Author" "Series" "Book#" "Book Name" - that are columns A-E
- again go to "Print"
- on the top right side of the "Print" window you can choose from drop-down 2 options: "Current Sheet" or "Selected Cells A:E" --> choose "Selected Cells A:E"
- you will see immediately that the "Print Preview" has changed to print only columns you´ve selected (you can btw select any columns you like, I only set an example here with first 5 columns) + you will see that the text will be bigger
- you can further choose "Page orientation" to print either in "Landscape" or "Portrait" - "Portrait" will print you all in 4 papers and "Landscape" will print you all in 8 papers
- click "Print"

;-)

Je viens de terminer le Tome 3 des Soeurs Merridews - Sauvetage Amoureux d'AnneGracie...
J'ai beaucoup pleuré tant que j'en avais mal à la tête, me souvenant du conseil de Loreta, j'ai dû arrêté ma lecture à plusieurs reprises et me faire du café...
Une magnifique histoire avec du surnaturel qui m'a enchanté... Je vous le conseille vivement...
Je commencerai mon dernier livre en stock, le Tome 4 de la même série seulement demain car je suis encore un peu bouleversée...
J'espère recevoir au plus vite les 4 livres que je me suis commandée samedi dernier...

I just finished Volume 3 of The Merridews Sisters - Loving Rescue by AnneGracie...
I cried so much my head hurt, remembering Loreta's advice, I had to stop my reading several times and make myself coffee...
A beautiful story with supernatural that enchanted me... I highly recommend it...
I will start my last book in stock, Volume 4 of the same series only tomorrow because I am still a little upset...
I hope to receive as soon as possible the 4 books I ordered last Saturday...

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Last night I finished the novel Heartless, by Mary Balogh, and I felt it very strongly, I was internally shaken by several of the main characters except for the main psychopath who literally caused me stomach ache and nausea.

I understood Anna perfectly, how horrible it is to keep "secrets", that helplessness to speak, the fear of not being understood, the "shame" of what others will think. This stirred up a little bit of childhood abuse that I had totally erased from my mind - sorry if this comment is grotesque - but I am very saddened by the many children who suffer abuse and their parents never realize it and cannot defend themselves. It makes me very angry to know that these psychopaths abuse, manipulate and kill the vulnerable and ignorant until those who manage to stop them if they have the possibility, if they don't die first.
Something that caused me a lot of impotence was that as in the character of Anna was so naive not to realize the danger in which she was lurking follow the game of the psychopath, to ignore his intuition about the danger.
I felt rather that the heartless one was her mother, I can't understand how you can give birth to children and not have the love or affection for them, and in the name of "duty" deprive yourself as a mother by following "rules and behaviors" that are dictated by psychopaths, this doesn't make sense.

I loved Luke I couldn't relate to his character as a heartless man, I really liked that he had that feminine sensibility and didn't hide it, as well as his firmness in the second part of his life to give everything its due, which I think is more than fair.

The characters of Lovatt Blaydon and Henrietta seemed to me to be psychopathic to varying degrees, very unpleasant.

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or why in this story it affected me physically, my stomach hurt and I got nauseous, a bit of a headache, I also feel a bit depressed. It makes me wonder, It could be a very internal unblocking, I don't feel very strong in my stomach when I read about psychopathy. Maybe, Does that mean I should dig deeper, dig out whatever I have buried, or should I stop and look for other stories?
This story for me was not like a "roller coaster", it was more like jumping out of a plane without a parachute and landing on feather pillows :-/

In the end what made me think a lot was that although our circumstances may be terrible, we have the possibility if we put our hearts and will to learn, to decide for happiness and the common good.

Last night I finished the novel Heartless, by Mary Balogh, and I felt it very strongly, I was internally shaken by several of the main characters except for the main psychopath who literally caused me stomach ache and nausea.

I understood Anna perfectly, how horrible it is to keep "secrets", that helplessness to speak, the fear of not being understood, the "shame" of what others will think. This stirred up a little bit of childhood abuse that I had totally erased from my mind - sorry if this comment is grotesque - but I am very saddened by the many children who suffer abuse and their parents never realize it and cannot defend themselves. It makes me very angry to know that these psychopaths abuse, manipulate and kill the vulnerable and ignorant until those who manage to stop them if they have the possibility, if they don't die first.
Something that caused me a lot of impotence was that as in the character of Anna was so naive not to realize the danger in which she was lurking follow the game of the psychopath, to ignore his intuition about the danger.
I felt rather that the heartless one was her mother, I can't understand how you can give birth to children and not have the love or affection for them, and in the name of "duty" deprive yourself as a mother by following "rules and behaviors" that are dictated by psychopaths, this doesn't make sense.

I loved Luke I couldn't relate to his character as a heartless man, I really liked that he had that feminine sensibility and didn't hide it, as well as his firmness in the second part of his life to give everything its due, which I think is more than fair.

The characters of Lovatt Blaydon and Henrietta seemed to me to be psychopathic to varying degrees, very unpleasant.

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or why in this story it affected me physically, my stomach hurt and I got nauseous, a bit of a headache, I also feel a bit depressed. It makes me wonder, It could be a very internal unblocking, I don't feel very strong in my stomach when I read about psychopathy. Maybe, Does that mean I should dig deeper, dig out whatever I have buried, or should I stop and look for other stories?
This story for me was not like a "roller coaster", it was more like jumping out of a plane without a parachute and landing on feather pillows :-/

In the end what made me think a lot was that although our circumstances may be terrible, we have the possibility if we put our hearts and will to learn, to decide for happiness and the common good.
I've had a strong reaction as well while reading it, if I may suggest, if you still are feeling "heavy" after reading the book take a break for a couple of days just to let flow the effects of the emotions you may be feeling currently.

After that if you'd be interested and willing i'd suggest to read (if you didn't read it yet off course) the following novel from the series, A Silent Melody. It's a very beautiful story with it's own emotional roller-coaster that is worth experiencing if one is ready and willing to do so.

Personally I take the reading as an adventure and as a personal challenge, the heavier the stories, emotionally speaking, the better, since i'm aware of my own emotional garbage/blockage and strongly feel that in order to get rid of it I have to keep reading the novels especially the heavy ones.

Off course that's me, everyone has their own cross to carry and knows better for themselves how to proceed with the reading project. :-)

Back
Top Bottom