Romantic Fiction, Reality Shaping and The Work

Regarding the Jess Michaels business above, my apologies, I made a bunch of noise over two separate lines of so-called romantic force, that were indeed written by the same author. So, it is funny how the mind works, when something/someone appears to be so antithetical to what one reads before that it can't possibly be from the same person.
I'm not reading any more Jess Michaels. A spin off of the 1797 Club is the Duke's By Blows, and book 2 has the main character deciding to betray his friends and principles because he really likes the bad girl even though he knows she keeps lying to him.

I happened to find this in an old session speaking about the subject of love. This session happened right at the time when I closed the final chapter of one relationship and life took an unexpected turn towards my current relationship. Perhaps it has already been posted in the thread, but even if that is the case, it bears repeating.

One can say that the romance novels also often fits into the category of fairy tales. Where old fairy tales have magical events bringing an infusion of a surprise (chaos) element to the story, in the romance novels, this is done via 'coincidences', like chance meetings, stranded with a stranger during a storm etc.

The same session had this beautiful pearl:
Thanks for resurfacing the C's mention, the ruffles part was indeed funny.

Looking at the C's reference of "Study fairy tales to discover" to what has been written and what book(s) - probably many books, had a look at what was remembered. Somewhere I've a detailed book with many of the tales, however in The Lost Language of Symbolism, Harold Bayley wrote on fair tales, such a Cinderella, in rather unique way. These tales cross over in different cultures and languages, too.

This reminded me of one of my favourite fairy tales, called Prince Lindworm, or Kong Lindorm in another version.

It has everything to do with the longing of a woman to have a child, attempting to cheat the rules of life, hiding the consequences of one's actions, rejecting what seems ugly, and this cast-off material growing into a devouring serpent that threatens the kingdom, seeking out the advice of elders, and the pain of stripping down the layers of the false personality in relationships.

A queen longs to have children, but is barren. She seeks out the old wise woman in the woods, who gives her two roses, and is told to eat the white one for a girl and the red one for a boy. She eats both! At labour, she gives birth to a snake, and then a healthy baby boy. She commands the midwife to throw the unwanted snake-child out the window.

The Prince grows up, and a match is made with a Princess in a neighbouring Kingdom. At the crossroads, he is stopped by a monstrous Lindworm, his own dark twin, who demands a Princess to marry - it is his right to be wed first, as the eldest son of the King. They hurry to find the Lindworm a princess, arrange a match, marry them, and in the morning, she is gone, and he lays on the bed, looking quite content with a full belly - and demands a bride and a wedding!

Because his idea of marriage is devouring his partners, word gets around, and they eventually they run out of willing Princesses. A peasant girl is chosen to be the next 'bride'. She seeks out the wise woman of the woods, who bids her to sew seven shifts to wear on her wedding night, and to take with her a whip, a bucket of lye, and a bucket of milk. After the wedding, in the bridal chamber, when the Lindworm tells her to undress, she says that she will take off a shift if he will shed a layer of skin first! This proceeds until he takes off his last layer of skin (seven in total) and is revealed as a formless, moaning pink lump on the floor.

As instructed by the wise woman, the young maid dips the whip in lye and starts thrashing him with it. Afterwards, she bathes him in the warm milk and collapses, exhausted. The next morning, the court anticipates an empty room with only the Lindworm, but instead finds the young maid with a handsome prince who had been locked up inside the dragon-skin of his abandonment, trauma, and shame.

I first heard this story presented by Martin Prechtel and poet Robert Bly (creator of the mytho-poetic men's movement) over at the Minnesota Men's Conference YouTube. Here it is if you'd like to listen in. They lean towards the Jungian side of things (ie., saying stuff like 'the Soul of a man is female', or their big focus on ritual), but I still find this story, like many of the others on the channel, very entertaining and quite educational to ponder.

The presenters often open up the floor for discussion afterwards, and encourage the listeners to understand that all of the images in the story are happening both inside them and outside of them at once. For instance, one nugget from this story mentioned by Bly is that the feminist movement has spent a lot of time training women to whip men with lye, but the bath of warm milk has been long forgotten.

This Romance Novel project is great because they are stories that detail the stripping away the layers of shame and pride, with a big focus on the healing, or the bathing in milk. In a way, they're like a milk-bath in their own right, a sort of corrective to the destructive affects that feminism has had on the culture.

The books I've read in this archetypal fairy-tale style by Robert Bly (Iron John) and Michael Meade (Men and the Water of Life) have been top-notch explorations of fairy tales, both in terms of entertainment value and also getting some insight into my own inner dragons, knights, and castles, and treasures, desires, fears, assumptions and joys, etc. Pinkola-Estes' Women Who Run with the Wolves is probably also a good one, too, although I've only read the Inuit story of the Skeleton Woman.

It is a surprisingly different Balogh one encounter in this book. The protagonist is noble and wealthy now but has known ostracization from the Nonconformist congregation due to poverty and alleged illegitimacy. Upon his return, he faces isolation again, though for different reasons. Problems for him include finding acceptance among the people he knew and resolve the antipathy of his former friend and love who in the intervening years has lost her husband, in part due to his attempt to ignore and cut his connection to his traumatic past and the place he was born. The book also explores the tensions between human love and public Christian morality, male and female roles, the adult and the child, between pacifism and justifiable aggression, love and hate, greed and charity, the truth and the lie, between sin and virtue, between the requirement to uphold the law of the land and the need to protect one's community. In this historical romance, there are no ballrooms or fancy dresses, but like in a Regency romance, there is a happy ending. For the protagonist, there is reconciliation with his past and with the people of his community.
Great recap. Personally, I think this is one of the best romance novels I have read so far. The way Mary Balogh describes the struggle of these small farmers which is playing out in our own countries as we speak and has been the case in non-Western countries for centuries is gripping. Perhaps I am slightly biased, as I have felt a connection with Wales (past life?) ever since I set foot in the country many years ago. Perhaps that is why Mary's novels that take place in Wales have a distinct flavour being Welsh herself and channeling her forebears?
Somehow, there was a Balogh book that was dowloaded that was not on the book list (so it may not have been vetted by Laura here ) - it is an early Balogh 1996 story titled Truly.
It is now!
It was a bit unusual from other novels read.

The story takes place exclusively in the Welsh environs at a time when people were in great struggles as farmers under economic loads of poor crops, escalating rents, constant tithes, and what was breaking their backs were tolls. What was the true implications of tolls to these people; it meant the hauling of lime that was desperately need for their fields was taxed for every trip while prices for their food at market dropped. It meant forgoing food to feed the family, clothing the family, selling livestock - that lack of food or the ability to plough fields to make ends meet, and all the other things that was piled on. A horrible cycle, which of course still exists.

The story uses the history of the Rebecca Rebellions as a backdrop, modified by Balogh for the more benevolent aspects, and this was so of the rebellions going on at the time. Balogh writes a short piece at the end of the story on this history and why it was important for her to tell the story in the way she did, because those in rebellion (as can be seen today) can come at it in violent ways, or in ways that balance the outcomes for others. The story has a great deal of emotions running in the various characters, along with how communities suffer and stick together.
Great summary! And yes, this Rebecca (as the leader was called) from Carmarthenshire that features in Truly is admirable, as he has perfect control over the people who follow him and his own emotions (when it comes to the rebellion), being compassionate and honourable. Although toll-gates are destroyed he lets the people who man them go, even with their belongings. An example to emulate, me thinks.

And yes, this Rebecca (as the leader was called) from Carmarthenshire that features in Truly is admirable, as he has perfect control over the people who follow him and his own emotions (when it comes to the rebellion), being compassionate and honourable. Although toll-gates are destroyed he lets the people who man them go, even with their belongings. An example to emulate, me thinks.
Just to be certain, I am not saying we should participate in riots. :-D But "Rebecca's" qualities in Truly are commendable.

I made the following changes to the Reading projects Site . Please let me know if you have any questions.

Read three books from Kerrigan Byrne with a very dark overlay. They are newer books (2019 - 2021) in a series named The Devil You Know (the 3 book are: How to Love a Duke in Ten Days, All Scot and Bothered, The Devil in Her Bed).

The time frame is 1872 - 1892.

Will not give away too much, other than to say the series features three young girls who are not related to each other and yet share extreme suffering. The three of them come together at a finishing school at Lake Geneva in their later teens, wherein they forge a strong bond and adopt a group name for themselves. They bond because a horror takes place at the school that will stay with them for life; one of them more so than the others. In saying that, their bond includes revealing what each has suffered in childhood, including one bearing witness as a child to a massacre of families (it is brutal).

The series starts with the one, Lady Alexandra Lane, as her life is turned upside down. Blackmail features. Lane is a Doctor of Archology.

The second of the three is Cecelia Teague, who comes out of a difficult lonely childhood, past finishing school and into university only to find out she later inherits. What she inherits, and who from, is not something she could of imagined, which sets the tone to the end -even into the third book.

The third book focuses on the story of the Francesca Cavendish, the Countess of Mont Claire. Francesca is bent on burring deep, harvesting secrets and investigating wrongs - pure evil as it turns out. She is not who she appears to be, which is evident from the beginning.

All three come up against men who were badly damaged as children, where each bears the scars deep within as they grow older. Two are related to each other, the third holds equal and ways greater scares with a twist.

Weaving throughout all this, more at the end as people are further revealed, looks to a different age of the modern film (see Spoiler if so inclined) that personifies the depth of powerful and the

The film is 'Eyes Wide Shut' (and similar families from within The Billionaires series to a point).

The books are not as richly written (IMO) as Balogh's, and are more explicit as some are noted to be. For readers, there is a trigger warning as can be gleaned from the above.

Read three books from Kerrigan Byrne with a very dark overlay.
In a similar vein - all off-list - just because I liked the modern setting and style of 'Georgia Le Carre' I hunted down some of her newer books. All of those did not pass muster here for a reason. Some were merely a notch above mediocre, then one was full of straight Anti-Life elements.

Also the newer ones no longer contain any Consortium infobits / rumors, so they are useless. Like Blind Reader Wanted: merely having an original-exotic setting, but poisoned by Deep State content.

Only one of them I found exceptional: With This Ring.
Usual 'mafia bad boy wants me' scenario, but with an enormous twist.
Too bad, this book doesn't contain any Consortium news, because content-wise its the best, IMO. The heroine is empowered, like the lady doctor in the Winterborne series. She is a lion and a natural born rebel.

Most if not all scenes are out of a turbo-charged, blockbuster, extremely pleasant, Hollywoodian romantic comedy, where you don't notice the time at all. Settings, dialogues, characters are extremely fun! So if you are depressed in a really bad mood and feel nothing can cheer you up, you may wanna give this a try! Get the popcorn ready! :D

It has been written before how Mary must be channeling from some positive (STO) source when she writes, as her books are peppered with universal wisdoms and truths; often you are stunned with their accuracy (I have underlined many pieces of text on my kindle!).
Although at the beginning of this project I had to force myself to read romance novels, now it's a world of its own for me. Pleasant, safe, comforting, inspiring and a connection to all those who are a part of this.

As well as for many of you Mary Balogh is one of my favorite writer. The way she describes inner monologue is fascinating and gives you the opportunity to get to know an "imaginary" person as well as yourself. Imaginary in quotation marks because that could easily be many Morgan, Freya (ok, there probably aren't that many ;-D), Eve or any other character from those books in real world. But, in the real world, there are not many people who will allow you to really get to know them. Most of them have no desire to get to know themselves, let alone have someone else get to know them. Which is still hard for me to accept, but probably hard for other people in my life as well. I am currently halfway there, I have an assumption that this is so and I am looking for a way to communicate with others in a way that is comfortable for them, but it is still far from knowledge. Since my working season is near I expect from my self that I will apply everything that I have learned reading romantic novels especially about women characters like Lauren, Eve or Morgan (The Bedwyn Prequels & The Bedwyn Saga), true ladies.

Right now I'm on the end of Slightly Tempted, story about Morgan and Gervase. I noticed that I'm deeply touched by the fates of men who are unjustly accused of having done something they did not. I cry like a baby ;-). And I can say that I'm pretty convince that each book with such topic brings the inner feeling of letting go of something.

And forgiveness which runs throughout the book it's such important topic. I have always considered that I am a person who forgives very easily if a person talks to me, explain why. But, who does that? Not many. But that should not be a reason for someone not to forgive because, as long as we hold something against someone we can't reach peace. For the same reason I value so much all this knowledge of our Forum, to know to love, to understand to forgive. I can't imagine state of my mind and living without knowing about hyper dimensional universe.

I'd say you're mostly right. I'm not sure what percentage of men inherently have this capacity, but modern society instills nothing to strive for and is overtly nihilistic. We are also not rich dukes with a life of wealth and leisure to spend as we choose. With rare exception, their idea of money problems is having to sell off the ancestral estate and buy a more modest house that they could still afford to buy outright and then support themselves with a regular job. It's not even remotely realistic. In the case of the dukes, they also have some degree of dominion over their lands, and can forge their own destiny if they choose to exert their power. Most everyone in real life has been castrated and enslaved by the global pathocracy, continually reminded that they are impotent while their enemies are invincible. Your choices are either to resist and die quickly or submit and die slowly, chained to a meaningless career in a meaningless society. Almost all of us choose the die slowly option wholly or in part, and to someone who aspires to be "manly" and take charge of things, this is a caustic spiritual poison. The male sexual urge is not so easily suppressed or destroyed, and all that is left is the instant gratification that society allows and even encourages to a degree to keep us from challenging the materialistic status quo. The ultimate result is that men who might have had the capacity to love once shut down and life merely becomes a matter of going through the motions.
Indeed, in this life. But, having money, properties or not have nothing to do with Love. Actually, easily could be obstacles because you don't know does someone want and need you because of your money and position or because of you. Each position, poor or rich carries its lessons.
The ultimate result sound very sad and I agree that could easily be the case, but making effort and having a tool and inspiration (books) could be helpful on the changing that result.
Have you noticed how men in romance novels are strong, persistent, resilient and not offensive at all? Totally opposite woke ideology. Women rejected them so many times but they're persistent but not aggressive.

Read three books from Kerrigan Byrne with a very dark overlay. They are newer books (2019 - 2021) in a series named The Devil You Know (the 3 book are: How to Love a Duke in Ten Days, All Scot and Bothered, The Devil in Her Bed).

Will not give away too much, other than to say the series features three young girls who are not related to each other and yet share extreme suffering. The three of them come together at a finishing school at Lake Geneva in their later teens, wherein they forge a strong bond and adopt a group name for themselves. They bond because a horror takes place at the school that will stay with them for life; one of them more so than the others. In saying that, their bond includes revealing what each has suffered in childhood, including one bearing witness as a child to a massacre of families (it is brutal).

The series starts with the one, Lady Alexandra Lane, as her life is turned upside down. Blackmail features. Lane is a Doctor of Archology.

The second of the three is Cecelia Teague, who comes out of a difficult lonely childhood, past finishing school and into university only to find out she later inherits. What she inherits, and who from, is not something she could of imagined, which sets the tone to the end -even into the third book.

The third book focuses on the story of the Francesca Cavendish, the Countess of Mont Claire. Francesca is bent on burring deep, harvesting secrets and investigating wrongs - pure evil as it turns out. She is not who she appears to be, which is evident from the beginning.

All three come up against men who were badly damaged as children, where each bears the scars deep within as they grow older. Two are related to each other, the third holds equal and ways greater scares with a twist.

Weaving throughout all this, more at the end as people are further revealed, looks to a different age of the modern film (see Spoiler if so inclined) that personifies the depth of powerful and the

The film is 'Eyes Wide Shut' (and similar families from within The Billionaires series to a point).

The books are not as richly written (IMO) as Balogh's, and are more explicit as some are noted to be. For readers, there is a trigger warning as can be gleaned from the above.
Thanks for the recommendation !
If the third book in the series is good, I especially loved the first two which gave me a lot of emotions that I would describe as very appreciable in the end.
Personally, I found them even better than those of the Victorian Rebels series.

p.s : the DEVIL YOU KNOW series is the AMITIÉ series for the French version

I'm late to reading these books :-[ I had started one at the time but didn't manage to finish it. But I've finished Courting Julia, Dancing with Clara, and Tempting Harriet, which I thought were great stories, especially Dancing with Clara. It's great to see their personal development and how their relationships develop. I'm currently reading "Heartless", which I've noticed is less predictable than the other stories and I really like it so far, because the way the main character grows and has his realizations is very touching. It also has twists and turns and a mystery that becomes clear bit by bit as you continue. It's very well written. I'm a visual person so to me it's seeing a movie play out in my mind, although I don't always quite get the details of how they look clothes-wise, because I don't understand the terms, which is okay, because I don't find those details the most important part. I just have to make sure not to read too much at night so I can get proper sleep! I'll go for "Silent Melody" next once I finish this one.:read:

Although at the beginning of this project I had to force myself to read romance novels, now it's a world of its own for me. Pleasant, safe, comforting, inspiring and a connection to all those who are a part of this.

I am very much in the same boat Anamarija,
I have been turning to the romance novels as a refuge. I'm really enjoying the journey of the characters, finding a good deal of value in their interactions and the push they all seem to give each other to reveal themselves both to themselves and each other.

Im working my way through Mary Balogh. The westcott series book six. To elaborate on this idea of refuge, i think what strikes me most in my experience with these narratives if the level of reassurance they make me feel. The narratives have ups and downs, some level of tragedy always permeates the characters past or present. But how they hold themselves to dignity and a high virtue perhaps it' really reassuring. That no matter how bad things can get, or have been, there is value in rising above and staying true to ones nature. And being on the forum a large part of that is knowing yourself and acting with virtue, integrity.

Just finished reading this trilogy and agree that the style doesn't have the same psychological finesse as Balogh, but the stories and characters are very engaging nevertheless. While many of recommended books have elements of character disturbance, this series covers many bases of what can happen with a network of the character disturbed and criminally insane in positions of power. Thanks for the recommendation.

Finished Heartless, it had a great ending. I found a review by Alejo (my comments below). I started reading Silent Melody and it's also an enjoyable read so far!

What a story, and I am not even sure how to go about it, as a review of a work of literature, it's splendidly written, it's suspenseful and tense, it's touching and tender and sweet but also... it cuts deep, it makes you uncomfortable and sad, angry and frustrated. What a well written story I must say.

Luke goes through a literal revival, back from the dead. He had buried his heart and thus his connection to love, light, knowledge and life, because of what he had assumed had happened in his life. Because he was proud, and ultimately because he was manipulated into believing a feminine vampire who had designs over his inheritance.
Yeah, she was quite an evil woman.
His transformation is so gradual, it actually takes place over a year and it is outstandingly done. And through him, the idea of doing the right thing vs doing the right thing lovingly makes all the difference in the world. He had to take charge of his family and assert his authority, thus angering his family members, but since he did it without a heart, he hurt his relationships. When he brought love into his interactions with his family, his same focus for their wellbeing, became a creative force.

Luke is a satisfying character to follow, he literally goes from a zombie, swimming in pleasure and fleshly existence (as Paul would put it perhaps), using make up and cosmetics, to a living being who has found his spirit through the love of life, the truth of his own poor behavior, and pride, and the love of his daughter and his wife.
I think it was beautiful that it was the birth of their daughter that opened up his heart. I think it was from that point on that he was ready to be more vulnerable and allow himself to feel again, and to allow love in his life. I got teary at the part when he visited his brother's grave and expressed his thoughts and feelings. Also, the moment he told Anna "I love you" was very touching. It was sad that she didn't say it back at the time, but it was also understandable from her point of view.
Ana is frustrating, she is frustrating, but she has a role in the story, bring light wherever she goes, enough to warm Lukes frozen heart. But the way she handles her secret is frustrating, though I knew it was necessary for the story, and also to truly give life to the lunatic criminal Blakely... What a villain, what a depiction of the criminal mind, possessive, obsessed and cold. Threatening, and intimidating, and ultimately a coward.

There has been so much literature of the effect dealing with a psychopath has on a human psyche, that Ana's behavior throughout the story makes total sense, it literally twisted and warped her perception of reality, of herself and her priorities.
Yeah, her reasoning and thoughts made sense to me from her point of view, she had a lot to lose and she believed that Blakely (what a psycho!) had the power and means to put her behind bars. She believed she'd lose Luke and Joy and everything she had if she would share everything with Luke.
Ana's mute and deaf sister was such an endearing character, she was innocence, believe it or not, she represented truth in this story.
She's a great character!
This story also made me think about sex, and I think that JPB said recently in one of his interviews that sex is often an expression of so many other emotions, possession, anger, fear, need, love, affection, attraction, control and so many others. This story had a particular and clear differentiation between sex, making love, and having sex as a way to express other emotions.

And it struck me as true, in some cases, it's the only outlet for certain aspects of ourselves, that if not worked on, will only express themselves in such a manner. I suppose this idea could be expanded upon, but I found it interesting how Ana expressed her needs, her fears, her love, and care through sexual behavior, or behavior that was very intimate. it was her soothing mechanism, it was her way to love.
I think in those moments it was her way to feel security when she was feeling the most scared (as she couldn't express her worries in words, the only way to find reassurance, a sense of peace, closeness, safety or security was through intimacy). And I thought Luke was very observant in picking up when her intimate behavior was 'at odds'/out of character. Instinctively, he knew something was wrong.
And so, like at the end of the story, Luke had to face the potential death of his wife and daughter, but only because he had found love, otherwise he wouldn't have have to face such great danger.
Yeah, well said. And he kicked butt!
And I thought, that one has to face love, so to speak, with equal seriousness and respect, with equal faith and resolve. Or one could refuse to do so, but I don't think there's another way to really live and become ourselves.
Well said, thanks for your review! I have to say Luke is my favorite character so far, but I don't quite know why yet. I think it was his ability that despite everything he went through he was able to give love a chance and to trust again. And I think his keen ability to observe, discover the truth and eventually save his family.

Finished Heartless, it had a great ending. I found a review by Alejo (my comments below). I started reading Silent Melody and it's also an enjoyable read so far!

Yeah, she was quite an evil woman.

I think it was beautiful that it was the birth of their daughter that opened up his heart. I think it was from that point on that he was ready to be more vulnerable and allow himself to feel again, and to allow love in his life. I got teary at the part when he visited his brother's grave and expressed his thoughts and feelings. Also, the moment he told Anna "I love you" was very touching. It was sad that she didn't say it back at the time, but it was also understandable from her point of view.

Yeah, her reasoning and thoughts made sense to me from her point of view, she had a lot to lose and she believed that Blakely (what a psycho!) had the power and means to put her behind bars. She believed she'd lose Luke and Joy and everything she had if she would share everything with Luke.

She's a great character!

I think in those moments it was her way to feel security when she was feeling the most scared (as she couldn't express her worries in words, the only way to find reassurance, a sense of peace, closeness, safety or security was through intimacy). And I thought Luke was very observant in picking up when her intimate behavior was 'at odds'/out of character. Instinctively, he knew something was wrong.

Yeah, well said. And he kicked butt!

Well said, thanks for your review! I have to say Luke is my favorite character so far, but I don't quite know why yet. I think it was his ability that despite everything he went through he was able to give love a chance and to trust again. And I think his keen ability to observe, discover the truth and eventually save his family.
Very punctual comments! And Silent Melody... what a great story that one is! I hope you enjoy it and share your thoughts on it.

Back
Top Bottom