Russia Begins Operations in Syria: End Game for the US Empire?

http://www.sott.net/article/312053-Race-to-Raqqa-A-battle-the-Syrian-Army-must-win
There is a talk of US airlifting Saudi and Turkish forces into Raqqa and capture for them to use it as a bargaing chip once Aleppo falls. If this happens, attention not only shifts from Aleppo, but the entire situation becomes very volatile. Hope Syrian allies (4+1) captures Raqqa before this White ISIS.

Laura said:
Just sick about this whole thing.

You and me both! I was visiting with my first trumpet teacher and her family this afternoon and evening. This topic came up (involving turkey and the Saudis), and while venting about it, my physical organism felt slightly ill - which matched my emotional state, and intellectual state, almost exactly. The silver lining of this temporary 'illness' was that all three centers were on the exact same page! These so called 'leaders' are flipping insane!

Kris

voyageur said:
It seems there is no stopping these fools and psychopaths in the West to escalate conflict, which is their modus operandi.

Sorry for this short rant, yet what a goddamn shame for this planet and humanity. :mad:

May cooler heads prevail.

Feel the same way, and I too am just sick of this whole mess. Its a tragedy unfolding - and with the Sultan at the helm of this one, I don't think this madman will pull back, and stop for diplomatic efforts.

It seems very difficult now for Putin, and I think he will want to avoid a serious escalation into a global conflict, hence its looking likely that Syria could be partitioned as an outcome to avoid all-out-war, unless the 4+1 reach Raqqa first.

[quote author=Mr.Cyan]It seems very difficult now for Putin, and I think he will want to avoid a serious escalation into a global conflict, hence its looking likely that Syria could be partitioned as an outcome to avoid all-out-war.[/quote]

It could, but if it so happens that they clash with the 4+1 coalition. I can’t imagine a better way of SA + Turkey to expose themselves as terrorist states. To the world and public opinion at home.

You can bet that Russia is prepared for such a scenario. Surely better than those wishful thinking maniacs could ever prepare for anything.

And NATO :

http://atimes.com/2015/11/german-general-nato-article-5-wont-apply-to-turkeys-buffer-zone-in-syria/

German General: NATO Article 5 won't apply to Turkey's buffer zone in Syria

SA and Turkey most probably are on their own on this one. Alone against a nuclear power. SA and Turkey both exclusively use Western military tech. Their defeat would turn the superior western military tech myth to ashes.

Its core foundation of what keeps the Empire together is intimidation. Lets see how many vassals will remain after Russia shows its superiority.

Mr.Cyan said:
It seems very difficult now for Putin, and I think he will want to avoid a serious escalation into a global conflict, hence its looking likely that Syria could be partitioned as an outcome to avoid all-out-war, unless the 4+1 reach Raqqa first.

I seriously doubt that ... regardless of who reaches Raqqah first.

And that's the trouble with some of these news headlines. I think far more likely (and morally just) is a partition (of Turkey) and establishment of a Kurdistan. Through the covert & overt backing of Russia.

The Syrian partition idea is a Saudi pipe dream. (And is indicative of desperation on their part.) Things are not looking good for these people. As Putin once cautioned Bandar, the Saudi's may have soft monetary power, but the Russians have hard (and lethal) military might. And that hasn't changed.

The Saudi arm forces (while well equipped), stand little chance against any battle hardened foe. They know this. And that's why back in 1979, they had to call in French paratroopers (non-Muslims mind you,) to take the brunt in clearing fanatical insurgents from the occupied Grand Mosque.

But I could be wrong.

FWIW.

Russia sends brand new cruise missile ship to Syria: report
http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Russia_sends_brand_new_cruise_missile_ship_to_Syria_report_999.html
Moscow (AFP) Feb 13, 2016
Russia has dispatched a new ship armed with cruise missiles to the Mediterranean, the navy announced Saturday, as reports said it is bound for Syria.

The Zelyony Dol, a patrol ship armed with Kalibr cruise missiles that only joined the Black Sea fleet in December, departed for the Mediterranean, the Black Sea fleet said in a statement.

RIA-Novosti news agency further quoted a security source in Crimea -- where the Black Sea fleet is based -- saying that the ship is bound for Syria and may take part in Russia's campaign to support the Syrian army.

"The goals of the ship are not public but considering that it is carrying long-range cruise missiles, its participation in the military operation should not be excluded," the source was quoted as saying just a day after world powers agreed to cease hostilities in the war-ravaged country.

Zelyony Dol was only built last year and this week took part in a massive landing operation exercise to train "holding the coast" while landing troops attempt to take control.

Moscow is under fire for its bombing campaign in Syria, with the United States this week accusing it of undermining peace talks by helping in an offensive on the rebel stronghold of Aleppo.

Russia meanwhile warned against any ground intervention in Syria by countries in the US-led coalition with Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev saying it would unleash another war.

"Don't threaten anyone with a ground operation," he said Saturday in Munich in a speech that lashed out at the West and talked of a "new Cold War."

Russian navy used cruise missiles to strike Syria in October, launching them from the Caspian Sea, as well as in December, when they were launched from a submarine in the Mediterranean.

Самые усердные СМИ в инфовойне против России
The most zealous media in infovoyna against Russia
Polit Russia
Published on Feb 15, 2016
Сегодня Россия выходит на новый уровень в мировой политике, а значит, становится серьезным конкурентом, которого нужно вывести из игры любым способом. Предлагаю вашему вниманию рейтинг изданий, наиболее усердно участвующих в информационных атаках на Россию.

https://youtu.be/N6lJ4qoR2QQ

RT
Car bomb carnage - explosions at police checkpoint in Dagestan, Russia
Published on Feb 15, 2016
_https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loARp_Ol3QE
COURTESY: chernovik.net https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmzl...
A car bomb has exploded 15km from the city of Derbent, in Dagestan, near a police checkpoint, killing two and injuring another two people , the Interior Ministry has confirmed. READ MORE: http://on.rt.com/74i
x

The whole thing makes me sick too, has been for many years now. But there's a distinct feeling that a major shift is about to take place, where the Evil Empire with all its vassals may not be able to do anything as their plans and wishes all go down the drain. They are certainly still very dangerous (including to themselves), but the chances of them making more and more fatal mistakes keeps increasing.

It's too early and with too many things up in the air to say anything concrete of how things might turn out. But I think Russia has planned well and gamed/war gamed pretty much all scenarios (and is also flexible enough to adjust as things change and shift, unlike their enemies), that the likelihood of they getting their goals accomplished is much better than the liars and chaos spreaders. The Russians lead by Putin (and their allies) know very well how these psychos operate. There's a real desperation in the air for the Anglo-American-Zionist Empire.

The partition of Syria (along with Iraq and any secular, nationalist/independent Arab country) has been a long time plan/wish for Israel and the "West". Still might happen, but it's certainly not guaranteed (at least not the way they would want it). Their schedule of destroying the list of countries and the time frame (disclosed by Wesley Clark and others) have only partially been accomplished and way behind schedule. They can certainly cause lots of destruction and unleash chaos, but that's about it; they can't seem to plan and implement anything coherent and within any reasonable deadlines where their problems are growing by the day, their influence and power waning by the day, etc. Iraq took way longer than they had planned/anticipated. In the middle of it, Israel was dealt an utterly humiliating defeat by Hizb'allah in 2006 demolishing the myth of the invincible IDF in front of all to see.

Each day that passes, the Evil Empire gets weaker and more desperate, and Russia and her allies get stronger, better positioned, and more confident in ushering in a new multi-polar world with the rule of law, instead of the rule of the jungle. The utter destruction and inhumanity unleashed by these psychopaths has been engulfing the world for quite a while. At least some kind of push back and balancing is finally occurring. Or so I think.

While Kerry Talks Ceasefire, US Allies Secretly Ship Heavy Artillery to Syria Rebels

http://russia-insider.com/en/politics/while-kerry-talks-ceasefire-us-allies-secretly-ship-heavy-artillery-syria-rebels/ri12840

Grad missiles - probably from Eastern European arsenals purchased by Saudi money and delivered via Turkey

The big news yesterday was that after some five hours of intense negotiation on the sidelines of the Munich Security Conference, an agreement was reached between the major powers on a "cessation of hostilities" in Syria within the next week.

According to the agreement:

The [International Syria Support Group] members agreed that a nationwide cessation of hostilities must be urgently implemented, and should apply to any party currently engaged in military or paramilitary hostilities against any other parties other than Daesh, Jabhat al-Nusra, or other groups designated as terrorist organizations by the United Nations Security Council. The ISSG members commit to exercise influence for an immediate and significant reduction in violence leading to the nationwide cessation of hostilities.
Now today -- just one day after the ceasefire agreement -- we discover that a massive shipment of ground-to-ground "Grad" missiles has been sent by US allies (and the CIA?) to rebels fighting against the Syrian government.

Reuters reports:

'It is excellent additional fire power for us,' said one of the commanders, who declined to be identified due to the sensitivity of the matter. The second rebel commander said the missiles were being used to hit army positions beyond the front line. 'They give the factions longer reach,' he said.
What are we to conclude by this dramatic turn of events? Two possibilities.

One, that since the deal is not finalized on paper the foreign powers backing regime change for Syria did not feel the need to halt the shipment and in fact may have hastened the delivery.

Two, that the "rebels" being supplied do not fall under the terms of the agreement spelled out above. In other words, the ceasefire does not apply to ISIS or al-Qaeda or affiliated forces, so perhaps the foreign Grad suppliers decided this is a two-way street: if Russia is still free to bomb the terrorist groups, then Saudi Arabia, Turkey, etc. are still free to provide them weapons.

Does anyone have any confidence in this kind of ceasefire when either the "moderates" or named terrorist groups are being armed to the teeth on the eve of its implementation? Will the Russians begin to doubt the veracity of their western partners' commitment to halting the violence in Syria when they learn of this massive weapons shipment?

Test results show 'IS' used mustard gas in Iraq

http://www.dw.com/en/test-results-show-is-used-mustard-gas-in-iraq/a-19050325

There is evidence that mustard gas was used in Iraq last year, says the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW). It is the first known use of chemical weapons in Iraq since the fall of Saddam Hussein.

Suspicions that the deadly gas had been used last August emerged after nearly three dozen Kurdish forces became ill during battle.

The OPCW confirmed on Monday that laboratory tests had come back positive for the sulfur mustard.

The OPCW didn't identify who used the chemical agent, but an unnamed diplomat familiar with the testing confirmed that chemical weapons had been used by "Islamic State" ("IS") fighters.

The battle occurred southwest or Irbil, the capital of Iraq's Kurdish region. Kurdish soldiers became ill during the fight against IS, and dirt samples were taken shortly thereafter.

Mustard gas used in Syria

In October the OPCW concluded that mustard gas had been used earlier in the year in Syria. IS territory spans the Iraq-Syrian border.

Where the gas actually came from is unclear. Hussein essentially destroyed Iraq's arsenal even before the US threatened to invade in 2003. Subsequently, US troops scoured the country but only found old Saddam-era chemical munitions.

Syria is also supposed to have surrendered its stockpile of chemical weapons in 2014, under international supervision.

Syria was forced to give up its chemical weapons, including reserves of sulfur mustard after President Bashar Al-Assad was accused by Western countries of killing hundreds of civilians with sarin nerve gas in a Damascus suburb in 2013.

The situation is certainly not looking good. The anti-Russian media in the last couple of days have switched to a very high gear (at least where I live), and I have a very bad feeling that the US is trying to prepare the public for some sort of crazy intervention and/or bombing campaign (perhaps using Turkey as a proxy). The recent bombing of the hospital in Idlib is clearly a part of this setup. The fight for Aleppo could be a turning point, where everything either escalates, or the psychos finally give up their crazy ideas. I fear that the first option is more likely, because these guys are craaaaazy. :scared:

Aragorn said:
The situation is certainly not looking good. The anti-Russian media in the last couple of days have switched to a very high gear (at least where I live), and I have a very bad feeling that the US is trying to prepare the public for some sort of crazy intervention and/or bombing campaign (perhaps using Turkey as a proxy). The recent bombing of the hospital in Idlib is clearly a part of this setup. The fight for Aleppo could be a turning point, where everything either escalates, or the psychos finally give up their crazy ideas. I fear that the first option is more likely, because these guys are craaaaazy. :scared:

Here is an example of the first mainstream article checked today (CBC) that has two things that stood out: Doctors Without Borders-supported hospital levelled by 'deliberate' airstrike _http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/syria-msf-hospital-bombing-1.3448514

Notice the "incubators":
Activists posted video online purporting to show the damaged hospital. Three crying babies lay in incubators in a ward littered with broken medical equipment. Reuters could not independently verify the video.

If true, it's sick, and the finger is being pointed, like in the case of Saddam in Iraq; so where has that word "incubator" been used before.

Notice as always:
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which tracks violence across the country, said one male nurse was killed and five female nurses, a doctor and one male nurse are believed to be under the rubble in the MSF hospital.

They use unverified accounts:
Residents in both towns blamed Russian strikes, saying the planes deployed were more numerous and the munitions more powerful than the Syrian military typically used.

The Russians however:
But Moscow has said it is targeting "terrorist groups" and dismissed any suggestion it has killed civilians since beginning its air campaign in support of President Bashar al-Assad's forces in September.

I cannot believe this Syrian Observatory keeps getting away with what they are saying, nor the spin from Doctors without Boarders; who do valuable work, which means these statements come from a higher organizational level, in this case, "the French president of the Doctors Without Borders."

In mentioning the surge in oil prices earlier, there is this commentary noted today from what looks like an investment firm (who quotes RT and others). Although their bias in the article can easily be seen, they seem to be slipping things in for their investors to digest:
_http://www.pinnacledigest.com/articles/how-oil-prices-could-skyrocket

There is only one thing that can save oil prices in 2016: Saudi Arabia at war...

While this seems politically insane, and highly unlikely, particularly from a western perspective - a forced disruption to Saudi production, due to war, is the only way crude prices can recover this year. And there are two countries baiting the Saudis to come and fight right now...
{their emphasis}

Further it goes on to say:

Oil Price Wars leading Saudi Arabia to War?

Russia and Iran (who are backing the Assad regime) are already at war with Saudi-backed rebels in Syria, and they're starting to dominate against this proxy army. In the town of Aleppo, Syria, Saudi, and once western-backed, rebels (now a cocktail of quasi-terrorists, ISIS and bakers turned gunmen) are pleading for assistance and air support to stop the Russians...
[...]
The escalation in the Middle East and military involvement of Russia (who is leading bombing campaigns in Syria everyday) and Iran, which has boots on the ground in Syria, tell only half the story. The wayward diplomacy of the United States has achieved little to date as the war in Syria represents the worst humanitarian crisis of our generation - killing or displacing more than 11 million people to date, according to MercyCorps.

Why then, has the United States taken a back seat? What does it have to gain by allowing Assad, a supposed violent dictator, and his regime, to achieve victory over the rebels (a.k.a. Saudi Arabia's proxy army)? Saudi Arabia's behavior at OPEC meetings over the past 18 months has caused irrecoverable damage to the North American energy sector.

Consider this fact: By late January Exxon Mobil and Chevron alone had given up $95 billion in market value since the summer. Check out the below chart featuring 24 Fortune 500 companies that have cumulatively lost hundreds of billions in market value over the past 6 months:

Obviously, the United states is instrumental in pulling levers as proxy handlers, and likely were involved in the original Saudi escalation of oil production that was meant to impact Russia, so they are not realy in a "back seat". And than there is NATO (the US's organ) and Israel to consider who back the usual; Turkey and the House of Saud. The control of the shipping channels is also something that would be focused upon, and that means Iran.

This is a dangerous Western greedy game that may indeed just blow up in everyone's face.

angelburst29 said:
* Important *

While the International Coalition planes bombed a camp of the Syrian Arab Army, December 6, Ukrainian Cyber-Berkut have made public new documents. They show that Qatar has bought Russian-made bombs in Ukraine so as to accuse Russia.

False Flag Operation - Where will the Ukrainian bombs explode? (Video)
http://www.voltairenet.org/article189607.html

On Dec 7 the Cyber-Berkut made public another set of evidence exposing preparations for false flag attacks in Syria by the Ministry of Defense of Qatar. According to a hacked mail by Anton Pashynskyi, a SpetsTechnoExport (official Ukrainian arms trader) functionary, on Oct 21, 2015 he wrote to his Polish partner Level 11 the following:

“Good afternoon! There is a new proposal. The Qatari military want to buy 2 thousand High Explosive Fragmentation bombs OFAB 250-270. The issue is urgent, they are ready to pay US$2100 per item. Consider how to deliver ASAP. The final recipient is the Ministry of Defense of Qatar. EUC is enclosed.” (Snap-shot of order.)

OFAB 250-270 is the unguided 250-kg bomb currently used by the Russian jets SU-25 and TU-23M3 to hit the positions of Daesh and sister subversive groups in Syria: (Video)

The Qatar Air Force consists of French Mirage multirole fighter jets and Alpha light attack jets. None of them can be equipped with OFAB 250-270. So the legitimate question is:

Why does the Qatari Minitry of Defense want to buy enormous arsenal of the air bombs, not only unfit for their aircrafts, but at a price 3 times (!) higher than the market one? (normally OFAB 250-270 is sold at US$700-800 per item)

The answer is horrifically simple: to make an OFAB 250-270 explode you do not need to drop it from a jet — it can be done right on the ground. Any Qatar-linked terrorist group can drive it to a highly-populated area in Syria and stage a “merciless strike by the Russian aviation”. No doubt the a number of absolutely independent forensic experts would promptly conclude that this type of bomb is widely used by the Russian AF in Syria.

At the end we have to note that some pro-Kiev bloggers are harping on the allegations about “Russian aviation recklessly using unguided bombs close to civilian areas in Syria” since early October.

Below is the End-User Certificate proved by the Ukrainian seller to the importer. (Snap - shot of certificate)

This report, logged back on page 44 - has me concerned. Qatar is in with Turkey and the Saudi's and if they are sending ground troops and air lifting hardware for a battle in Aleppo, my guess, they are bringing in heavy arsenal? Even though Qatar purchased them - two thousand High Explosive Fragmentation Russian-made bombs is going to complicate things?

angelburst29 said:
This report, logged back on page 44 - has me concerned. Qatar is in with Turkey and the Saudi's and if they are sending ground troops and air lifting hardware for a battle in Aleppo, my guess, they are bringing in heavy arsenal? Even though Qatar purchased them - two thousand High Explosive Fragmentation Russian-made bombs is going to complicate things?

Seems possible, for sure. NEO just had this article on the military relationship between Turkey and Qatar:

NATO's Expanding Presence in "Fortress Persian Gulf"
What Are the Possible Consequences of Turkey-Qatar Military Cooperation?
http://journal-neo.org/2016/02/15/what-are-the-possible-consequences-of-turkey-qatar-military-cooperation/

And it looks possible that the U.S. just conducted a false flag in Syria, bombing a hospital in Idlib and blaming Russian airstrikes:

https://www.rt.com/news/332557-syria-hospital-school-attacks/

Looks like the U.S. is taking the Israeli option: if we can't have it, no one can. Pretty sickening.

Some 300 Militants, Trucks With Arms Move to Syria's Tel Rifat From Turkey
http://en.farsnews.com/newstext.aspx?nn=13941126001442

A group of approximately 300 militants with trucks laden with weapons attempted to break into the northern Syrian city of Tel Rifaat in Aleppo from Turkey, but most of the militants were killed, a source in the Kurdish self-defense forces said Monday.

“Reinforcements were sent to Tel Rifaat from Turkish territory. Around 300 militants and weapons. Airstrikes were conducted against the convoy heading out of Turkey on the Azaz-Tel Rifaat road. Most of the reinforcements were destroyed, some were able to reach the city,” the source told RIA Novosti.

Over the weekend, Turkey demanded the the Syrian Kurdish militia withdraw from the areas on Syria's northern border they have been in control of. When the fighters refused, Turkey-backed armed rebels crossed into Syria from Turkey to support rebels fighting Kurds near Tel Rifaat.

Senior Israeli officials urge sectarian partition of Syria
http://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2016/02/15/450384/Israeli-official-Syria-sectarian-partition

Officials with the Israeli regime, which is already widely accused of supporting Takfiri militants wreaking havoc in Syria, have called for the partition of the Arab country along sectarian lines.

Ram Ben-Barak, the director general of Israel's Intelligence Ministry, said the proposed breakup was “the only possible solution” to the conflict in Syria.

"I think that ultimately Syria should be turned into regions, under the control of whoever is there - the Alawites where they are, the Sunnis where they are," Ben-Barak told Israel's Army Radio on Sunday.

Israel's Minister of Military Affairs Moshe Ya'alon, who was in Munich to meet with European counterparts and Jordan's King Abdullah, also echoed Ben-Barak’s remarks.

"Syria as we have known it will not be united anew in the foreseeable future, and at some point I reckon that we will see enclaves, whether organized or not, formed by the various sectors that live and are fighting there," he said in a statement on Sunday.

The Israeli officials' statements come as reports say Israel has been supporting the militants fighting the government of Syria's President Bashar al-Assad.

The Israeli regime has set up hospitals near the border with Syria to treat the injured militants coming in from the battlefield there. Locals in the occupied Golan Heights have also intercepted Israeli vehicles transporting injured militants on the road between al-Sheikh Mountain and the village of Majdal Sham.

The Israeli calls for dividing Syria was raised as Turkey and Saudi Arabia, two regional sponsors of militant groups in Syria, have in recent weeks voiced their interest in launching a ground operation inside the country.

Chechen leader: Saudi-led coalition protects ISIS from full destruction
https://www.rt.com/politics/332515-chechen-leader-saudi-led-coalition/?

Ramzan Kadyrov, the head of Russia’s Chechen Republic, has said that the latest actions by pro-Western military forces in Syria show that in reality they do not intend to fully destroy ISIS and return power to the legitimate government of the country.

Kadyrov issued the comment Monday, soon after news agencies reported about planned military exercises by the Saudi-led anti-terrorist coalition, which includes over 20 Muslim nations. “We cannot exclude the possibility that by these exercises they are preparing themselves for active operations in Syria,” the Chechen leader said in an Instagram post.

88 combat vessels, boats put to sea as part of Southern Military District inspection
http://tass.ru/en/defense/856084

A total of 88 combat vessels, boats and service ships have put to sea as part of a check of combat readiness of the Southern Military District, Russian Armed Forces General Staff Chief Army General Valery Gerasimov said Thursday.

"Operational-tactical aircraft got redeployed to operational airfields where a group was formed to fulfill tasks to repel the hypothetical aggressor and make a massive airstrike. A total of 48 aircraft and 24 helicopters have been redeployed," Gerasimov reported to Russian President Vladimir Putin during a video conference call.

"A total of 88 combat vessels, boats and support ships were taken to sea areas," he said.

The snap check of the combat readiness of the Southern Military District’s troops, a number of formations of the Airborne Troops and military-transport aviation started Monday morning.

The Defense Ministry said the maneuvers involve up to 8,500 personnel, 900 units of military hardware, 200 aircraft and helicopters, as well as 50 vessels. The ministry said forces and facilities of the Central Military District are involved in the maneuvers.

Two policemen killed, seven wounded in car bomb blast in Russia’s Dagestan republic — NAC
http://tass.ru/en/politics/856863

According to the NAC Information Center, an improvised explosive device made of two artillery shells with the total yield of about 30 kg of TNT went off in a car at a traffic police post.

Two policemen were killed and 13 people wounded at a traffic police post in the Derbent district of Russia’s Dagestan republic on Monday morning, the Information Centre of the Russian National Antiterrorist Committee (NAC) told TASS.

"Two policemen were killed and seven wounded in the explosion. Also, six civilians were wounded," NAC reported.

The crime scene investigation team of the Russian Investigative Committee’s department for the Republic of Dagestan is ascertaining all the crime circumstances within the opened criminal case.

"An improvised explosive device went off in a car at a traffic police post in Dagestan. Bomb-disposal experts that examined the incident scene in the Derbent district of Dagestan where a cab bomb exploded this morning have found out that the car was blown up by an improvised explosive device made of two artillery shells with the yield of about 30 kg of TNT," NAC said.

The explosion occurred at the Dzhimikentsky checkpoint at 09:05 am on Monday when the police officers were checking a Lada Priora car.

Car bomb carnage - explosions at police checkpoint in Dagestan, Russia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzRCffzz07E

US plane impounded in Zimbabwe; body and cash found on board
http://www.stltoday.com/news/world/us-plane-impounded-in-zimbabwe-body-and-cash-found-on/article_da15c05a-8d76-54e2-b43a-014e76b95e08.html

HARARE, Zimbabwe (AP) — Zimbabwean aviation authorities impounded a U.S.-registered cargo jet, a senior official said Monday, after a dead body later believed to be a stowaway and millions of South African rand were found on board.

The Herald, a state-run newspaper, reported that the MD-11 trijet was traveling from Germany to South Africa "with millions of rands." At today's exchange rate, 1 million rand is worth $62,500.

Authorities here learned the money belonged to the South Africa Reserve Bank, the country's central bank. Police planned to issue a statement later Monday.

The plane had landed in Harare for refueling, said Civil Aviation Authority of Zimbabwe general manager David Chawota. He said the jet, registered with Western Global Airlines, was impounded at Harare airport on Sunday. A web site says Western Global Airlines is based in Estero, Florida. The airline on Monday said the cargo belonged to the South African Reserve Bank and the dead body belonged presumably to a stowaway. Zimbabwe police said it was still investigating the matter.

The crew did not know there was someone else on the plane, according to a police officer, who insisted on anonymity because he is not authorized to speak to the press. It appears from photos on social media that the dead person had sneaked into the plane's landing gear which severed his arm when it contracted, causing blood to splatter onto the fuselage and arousing suspicion of the ground crew when the flight landed here.

In a response to AP queries, Western Global Airlines said it didn't have the identity of the dead person, believed to be a stowaway.

"The aircraft is leased to Network Airline Management, a longtime customer based in the UK, and the shipment consignee was the South African Reserve Bank. This particular flight was from Germany to South Africa, we are told for the South African government. During a routine fuel stop in Zimbabwe, a body was found in the lower compartment. The body is presumed to be a stowaway who may have entered the airplane during a previous stop. The situation is currently under review," the airline said in an e-mail response to The Associated Press.

New Report of U.S.-Made Cluster Bomb Use by Saudis in Yemen
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/15/world/middleeast/new-report-of-us-made-cluster-bomb-use-by-saudis-in-yemen.html?_r=0

Human Rights Watch released a report Sunday providing new indications that Saudi Arabia has fired American-made cluster munitions, banned by international treaty, in civilian areas of Yemen, and said their use may also violate United States law.

The report included photographs from Yemen purporting to show unexploded but potentially lethal remnants of American cluster weapons, suggesting that they had failed legally required reliability standards.

If confirmed, the report could put new pressure on the United States over support for its ally Saudi Arabia in the Yemen conflict. The Americans have sold arms and furnished training and expertise to a Saudi-led coalition that has faced widespread criticism for what rights groups call an indiscriminate bombing campaign against Yemen’s Houthi rebels in nearly a year of fighting.

“Saudi Arabia and its coalition partners, as well as their U.S. supplier, are blatantly disregarding the global standard that says cluster munitions should never be used under any circumstances,”

Steve Goose, the arms director at Human Rights Watch, said in the report.

Human Rights Watch and other groups have previously accused Saudi Arabia of using cluster munitions in Yemen, including in a Jan. 6 strike in Sana, the capital, and have criticized the United States as an accomplice.

Yep...The Boston Globe is thanking Russia. What ever is the world coming to?

On Syria: Thank you, Russia!
http://russia-insider.com/en/politics/syria-thank-you-russia/ri12853

Originally appeared at The Boston Globe
http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2016/02/12/syria-thank-you-russia/UNKMxrzQvvAt8j4sJH03mJ/story.html?event=event25

Once again, Moscow has shown itself better able to make strategic choices than we are. Russia is not an ideal partner for the United States, but sometimes its interests align with ours. In those cases, we should drop our Cold War hostility and work with Russia. The best place to start is Syria.

American policy toward Syria was misbegotten from the start of the current conflict five years ago. By immediately adopting the hardest possible line—“Assad must go”—we removed any incentive for opposition groups to negotiate for peaceful change. That helped propel Syria into its bloody nightmare.

Russia, which has suffered repeated terror attacks from Islamic fanatics, is threatened by the chaos and ungoverned space that now defines Syria. So are we. Russia’s policy should be ours: prevent the fall of Bashar al-Assad’s government, craft a new regime that would include Assad or his supporters, and then work for a cease-fire.

The fall of Assad would create a catastrophic power vacuum like those that have turned Iraq and Libya into terrorist havens. This would be bad for the United States, and even worse for Russia and Iran. We should recognize this common interest, and work with countries that want what we want.

This may seem eminently logical, but the very suggestion is hateful in Washington. It violates a central precept of the liberal/conservative, Republican-Democrat foreign policy consensus: Russia is our eternal enemy, so anything that promotes Russia’s interests automatically undermines ours — and that goes double for Iran. Instead of clinging to this dangerously outdated with-us-or-against-us mantra, we should realize that countries with which we differ in some areas can be our partner in others. Russia is an ideal example.

We would have been more secure as a nation, and might have contributed to a more stable world, if we had followed Russia’s foreign policy lead in the past. The government Moscow supported in Afghanistan, run by Mohammad Najibullah from 1987-92, was more honest and progressive than any that has ruled Afghanistan since American-backed forces deposed Najibullah.

Later, Russia urged the United States not to invade Iraq and overthrow Saddam Hussein. They were right both times, and we were wrong. In Syria, Russia is right for a third time. Keeping the odious Assad in power, at least for the moment, best serves American interests. The alternative could be an ISIS “caliphate” stretching from the Mediterranean to the Tigris River.

No military solution is possible in Syria. Continued fighting only adds to the toll of death and horror. Russia wants a negotiated settlement. We are reluctant, because our so-called friends in the region want to keep fighting. They calculate continuing war to be in their interest. It may be — but it is not in the interest of the United States.

Opposition groups in Syria that we have half-heartedly supported refuse to negotiate until a cease-fire is in place. By accepting that formula, the United States guarantees continued war. Instead, negotiations should be aimed at creating a new regime that both Russia and the United States could support. From there, peace can grow.

How long Assad remains in power is not crucial to the United States. Weakening ISIS and al Qaeda is. Fighting those forces is the policy of Russia and Iran. We should recognize this confluence of interests, and work with every country or faction that shares our goals in Syria.

Our reflexive rejection of all cooperation with Russia is a throwback to a vanished era. It prevents us from taking decisive steps to ease the crisis in Syria. Its effects are also being felt in Europe. The Obama administration recently announced a four-fold increase in spending for troop deployments near Russia. Russia responded with military maneuvers near its border with Ukraine. This spiral of tension ignores the reality that Europe can never be truly secure without Russian cooperation.

Refusing to work with Russia hurts us more than it hurts Russia. Seeking avenues of cooperation would benefit both, and contribute to global security. Syria is the best place to start. Russia’s strategy — fight ISIS and al Qaeda, defend Assad, and seek a cease-fire that preserves his regime in some form — is the least bad option. Until we accept it, Syrian blood will continue to flow.

Senator McCain says could subpoena U.S. sailors held by Iran
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-iran-boats-idUSKCN0VO01S?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

U.S. Republican Senator John McCain said on Sunday he would subpoena 10 U.S. sailors to testify about their brief detention by Iran if the Obama administration does not provide the findings of an investigation into the incident by March 1.

"It's an option that I do not want to exercise," McCain, who chairs the Senate Armed Services Committee, told reporters as he was returning to the United States from an international security conference in Germany.

[...] The U.S. Navy had briefed McCain several times about the incident, and would continue to do so as the investigation proceeded, said one U.S. official.

McCain said he had been told the sailors were still being debriefed, but added that he assumed that administration members were "dragging their feet" in completing an investigation into the incident, which he accused Iran of exploiting for propaganda purposes.

"I guarantee you, if they don't have a debrief by the first of March like they said, we'll have a hearing and we'll subpoena. We're not going to wait any longer," McCain said. "We will subpoena the individuals if we have to."

McCain said he raised the case in a meeting on Saturday with Kerry on the sidelines of the security conference in Munich.

Missing batteries among issues that caused Army's runaway blimp
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-runaway-missile-defense-blimp-20160214-story.html

The blimp that broke loose from an Army facility in Maryland last fall, wreaking havoc with its milelong tether, flew uncontrolled for hours because someone neglected to put batteries in its automatic-deflation device, Pentagon investigators have found.

The pilotless, radar-carrying blimp was part of the troubled JLENS missile-defense system, which has failed to perform as promised while costing taxpayers more than $2.7 billion since 1998.

The runaway blimp episode was caused by a cascade of events spanning 13 hours, according to people familiar with the investigation, an overview provided to congressional staff members and a summary released by a military spokeswoman.

The six-sentence summary of the investigation said that "design, human, and procedural issues all contributed" to the mishap. Pentagon officials declined to release a copy of the investigative report.

Fighter jets were scrambled to track the blimp as it wafted over Maryland and Pennsylvania, and commercial air traffic had to be diverted. The blimp's tether damaged power lines, knocking out electricity to 35,000 rural Pennsylvania residents. The tattered blimp finally came to rest in high trees in rural Moreland Township, Pa.

The two blimps at Aberdeen were participating in an "operational exercise" intended to test the system's ability to defend the Washington, D.C., area. The exercise was suspended after the accident.

The sequence of events that caused the blimp to break away began when a pitot tube, a narrow 18-inch-long device intended to measure air pressure within the blimp, malfunctioned. Ground personnel failed to detect or address the problem, investigators found.

Still, the blimp was equipped with an automated device that should have caused it to deflate promptly and return to ground within two miles. The device failed to activate, because batteries had not been installed as a backup power source, according to people familiar with the investigation.

They made it....We are playing their game. Putin is right, no its Obama, West is good, no its East. UN is the solution, yeah but maybe not....Who's right (rite) ? Dont be afraid of saying NONE OF THEM. Theres no way to end up this mess and u know why? Cause uve made ur choice. Everything is lesson, never forget it.

Back
Top Bottom