Scroogle is maybe gone for good?

voyageur said:
[quote author=rylek]
Seems like Scroogle is down again, this time it might be for good. :(

Realize this is from rylek's 2010 post and have not seen anything listed later, but just asking if others are using this too and experiencing recent blocking? Have been using this for sometime and now, in the last week, this is what comes up and never works, even after the 10 minute prescribed wait.

Tried to cut and paste what it says but now it does not even load. It has been saying something like Sorry, Google is blocking...try again in 10 minutes.
[/quote]

I ran into this a few weeks ago. But it started working after about ten minutes. The message said something about Google considering their manual search request submissions as bots and blocked them because it goes against their Terms of Service. But they claimed that Scroogle wasn't violating the TOS by using automated submissions, and complained that Google hates Scroogle and wants to make problems, etc.

Sirius said:
It seems to be impossible to use this service any longer. :(

Have a look at https://www.ixquick.com/ if you have never heard of it before.

Yes, thanks for the link.

Scroogle is the same today, it does not load.

On another thread it was discussed about keeping the 'words' in the main, like SOTT. What are the realities of creating an engine, a SOTT search engine; just curios as i've not much understanding of these tech things, but if possible, might be a good way to keep SOTT in the main, spread it out there for people to use. :)

voyageur said:
On another thread it was discussed about keeping the 'words' in the main, like SOTT. What are the realities of creating an engine, a SOTT search engine; just curios as i've not much understanding of these tech things, but if possible, might be a good way to keep SOTT in the main, spread it out there for people to use. :)

It would require massive server farms to store all the data, as well as years of dedicated work, so unfortunately it's not viable.

[quote author=Psalehesost]

It would require massive server farms to store all the data, as well as years of dedicated work, so unfortunately it's not viable.
[/quote]

Thought it would be a little more difficult, did not know you needed to store 'farms' of data, just thought algorithmic programs just linked to the requested data that's already out there and then showed the search results by best filter - darn.

Methinks google is tightening the screws an anyone who thinks to circumvent it's revenue streamhttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2054168/Facebook-unveils-massive-data-center-Lulea-Sweden.html

And many "uncensored" search engines do use google. The supercomputer is on-line.

Al Today said:
Methinks google is tightening the screws an anyone who thinks to circumvent it's revenue streamhttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2054168/Facebook-unveils-massive-data-center-Lulea-Sweden.html

And many "uncensored" search engines do use google. The supercomputer is on-line.

See what is meant by "Farms" - huge and expensive too. Seems just like the Gates Seed Bank in Svalbard, being at extreme Northern latitudes is becoming a factor for things.

Bob Dylan mumbles. The following song reflects (with lyrics) my attitude.
_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LC6D2A_hjE

I can't use scroogle either. I've been using ixquick lately. But I don't like it as much as I liked scroogle. It doesn't seem to bring up exactly what I'm looking for as well as scroogle.

You need said setup if you are going to create a real search engine that stores and analyses and uses its own collected data. You also need bots collecting this data. This is not feasible here, neither of any necessity.
The only possible solution would be a kind of meta search engine which is simply a layer of abstraction for searching contents throughout the Cassiopaea pages. It uses and evaluates other search engines' results. If it provided a service not available until now, it would be a good thing. But if it were merely decoration, it wouldn't be necessary but still nice. It is also a difference whether it would only be able to use public data or would have some special access to databases, etc. If someone intends to create the first variation, then simply use Google's search results feeds.

I noticed Scroogle has been down for a while, too. Ixquick/Startpage is one alternative that has been mentioned. I personally prefer duckduckgo.com because it has a cleaner front page that loads faster (I think).

It looks lot more companies does this type of thing
_http://searchengineland.com/scroogles-gone-heres-who-still-offers-private-searching-112275
Google Encrypted Search

Ironically, one of the post-Scroogle options is Google itself, via Google Encrypted Search. While searches here are secure, it doesn’t actually solve the issue that Scroogle (and some of the sites mentioned above) addressed: Even when you’re using Google’s encrypted search, Google will know who you are (if you’re logged in to a Google account) and will still save your search activity if you’ve enabled the search history feature.

Back
Top Bottom