Search engines

Yeah, usually it was Scottie on his Scottie's Tech youtube channel that discussed that, can't remember if the last one was duckduckgo.com that Ursa Minor mentioned or something like startpage.com or...

Just got duckduckgo. And thanks!

Happy to start finding alternatives to the Google's, YouTube's etc of the world.

These organisations now brazenly going full evil mode.

Can't wait for Bitchute to pick up... YouTube is painful nowadays. Keeps on force feeding me mind numbing endless sports related stuff and never the content I'm really keen on, which is now getting censored!

I've started using, learning about, and experimenting with Presearch. I haven't used it too much, but so far I like it a lot. https://engine.presearch.org/

Presearch is a crypto related decentralized search engine - "Presearch is a Decentralized Search Engine. Search privately, receive better results and get rewarded with the Presearch decentralized search engine, powered by blockchain technology." Presearch - A Better Search Engine For We The People

Does anyone know what good search engines can be used other than Google or Bing?
Try this one:

Check this out.

By Sven Taylor - March 10, 2022

I've started using Brave Search, because Brave's CEO, Brendan Eich, publicity fought with the Plandemic narrative. He resigned from CEO position at Mozilla because he was pressured due to his opposition to same-sex marriage (via political donations). Also, he's a declared Roman Catholic, so I suppose he has higher moral integrity than other Big Tech CEOs. After the recent DuckDuckGo fiasco, a lot of people asked him if Brave Search manipulates search results due to some agenda:

Zrzut ekranu 2022-03-11 o 20.24.33.png

Search results for most of my queries are decent, and I'm really impressed that they managed to do such a complicated undertaking by themselves.

Not really a search engine per se, but this has been published in odysee:

We've gotten flack lately for standing up for freedom of the press, specifically for platforming RT and Sputnik.

Here's the thing: what's happening to the Ukrainian people and their country is horrible. But to punish all Russians (and people simply associated with Russia) for this is simply absurd.

Like, Russian hockey players are losing sponsorships

just for being Russian. What sense does that make?

The above is obviously crazy, what's a more difficult sell is what we've been attempting to say:

We are a video platform. We want to allow competing voices in journalism, whether they're CNN, Fox, RT, Sputnik or anyone else, and we aren't interested in telling you what to think. And not in a "it's an important to be a free thinker" way, but in a "no, seriously; we don't care about your political views" way.

Believe it or not, but RT and Sputnik journalists are people too. They not only lost their jobs, but had their reputations as journalists come under fire, being characterised as "corrupt journalists receiving memos directly from the Kremlin."

Is this true? Well, we don't really know anything about the inner-workings of RT or Sputnik, so that's not for us to say.

But even if RT or Sputnik are completely biased and get their talking points directly from Putin himself, we would still consider it important to allow them to be heard, if for no other reason than to have a better understanding of the propaganda being disseminated to the Russian people.

For these reasons, Odysee will not be removing any journalists affiliated with Russian networks or Russian news networks themselves. We support freedom of the press, and this will not change.

Julian Chandra
Chief Executive Officer
Odysee, Inc.

A very cool feature was introduced recently by Brave Search: it is now possible to define your own ranking. It's called "the Googles":
https://github.com/brave/goggles-quickstart said:
Goggles enable anyone, be it individuals or a community, to alter the ranking of Brave search by using a set of instructions (rules and filters). Anyone can create, apply, or extend a Goggle. Essentially Goggles act as a custom re-ranking on top of Brave’s search index.

This means that, instead of a single ranking, Brave Search can offer an almost limitless number of ranking options. While Brave Search doesn't have editorial biases, all search engines have some level of intrinsic bias due to underlying data (the Web) and some algorithmic choices of features to select. Goggles allows for users to counter such intrinsic biases in the ranking, and also to create custom search experiences that couldn’t be covered by an all-purpose search engine such as Brave Search.

Goggles are owned solely by their creators and, if public, can be used by anyone on top of Brave Search index.
What a clever business way to resolve the issue of cancel culture in the Big Tech environment! For example, if someone is offended by the "Russian propaganda", it is easy to downrank Russian content by domain, so it'll not be seen in the top results. There's no need to downrank content for all. Ruleset definition looks pretty straightforward, for example:
https://gist.github.com/remusao/fca3f9ee3ddca3e022426b8237e838ac said:
! name: Tech blogs
! description: Rerank results to boost content on tech blogs. List of tech blogs drawn from several sources (blogsurf.io, refined.blog, et al), and not vetted or endorsed by Brave.
! public: true
! author: Goggles 101
! avatar: #9244e0
$discard
$downrank,site=medium.com
$boost=1,site=github.io
$boost=1,site=micro.blog
/blog.$boost=1
/blog/$boost=1
/engineering.$boost=2
$boost=3,site=0x65.dev
$boost=3,site=0xadada.pub
I'll try it during the weekend and see how it works.

What's your reason SOTTREADER ? Is it for unbiased search results, privacy or what ?

Personally I use Brave browser for web stuff, and duckduckgo for search to for (supposedly) unbiased results. I don't think privacy really exists on the internet without extreme measures, and even then the PTB probably have ways to pinpoint you personally.

There is another interesting search engine I came across which I haven't played with much, but looks interesting. It apparently "favours text-heavy sites and punishes modern web design" if that's what you're after :

I'm not sure if there's any filtering / tracking going on there though.

I'll try it during the weekend and see how it works.
Couldn't resist :whistle: I've created a simple ruleset that boosts sott.net results and models a bias in SOTT Focus. The results:
Zrzut ekranu z 2022-06-23 13-19-20.png
Before

Zrzut ekranu z 2022-06-23 13-19-06.png
After​

Very cool! Maybe we can create a public (which means that it is visible in the public repository) one that promotes SOTT and its member-created content?

What's your reason SOTTREADER ? Is it for unbiased search results, privacy or what ?

Personally I use Brave browser for web stuff, and duckduckgo for search to for (supposedly) unbiased results. I don't think privacy really exists on the internet without extreme measures, and even then the PTB probably have ways to pinpoint you personally.

There is another interesting search engine I came across which I haven't played with much, but looks interesting. It apparently "favours text-heavy sites and punishes modern web design" if that's what you're after :

I'm not sure if there's any filtering / tracking going on there though.
Two reasons

• Don't want stuff hidden away e.g. if I search vaccine injuries
  • Privacy to whatever degree is reasonable
I don't mind helpful features that try and promote stuff I may be interested in (or show the results at the top) but I'd like it to be transparent and customisable as interests could change or evolve

Back
Top Bottom