Session transcripts as one big HTML file

Hi all, I just wanted to inform you, that the transcripts file is also available here: https://liberty239.github.io/
You can right click, and choose "save file as..." from the context menu to preserve it on your computer.
Contents of document in the link above will be updated automatically (even if I go to 5D) on 1st and 15th of every month.

For tech-savvy folks, I've posted some more details here:

Hi all, I just wanted to inform you, that the transcripts file is also available here: https://liberty239.github.io/
You can right click, and choose "save file as..." from the context menu to preserve it on your computer.
Contents of document in the link above will be updated automatically (even if I go to 5D) on 1st and 15th of every month.

This is immensely helpful - thank you so much!

Another big thank you @KS. If that is not "service to others" I don't know what is.
:thup:
:clap:
:hug:

Another big thank you @KS. If that is not "service to others" I don't know what is.
:thup:
:clap:
:hug:
I'm really glad that you liked it. If you spot any errors, please do report them. After the XenForo update, some parsing rules might break and result in something missing. I'm out of free time (for quality work) because of my little daughter but can fix bugs. New features (like better formating for EPUB or MOBI support) will, unfortunately, come later than I planned...

Thank you @KS for the applied programming skill.

It is a good idea to save, I tried to open it in my browser and do a search for one word, using Ctrl+F in Windows 10. Had it just been a few hits, as it often is, it would have been fine, but this was in the hundreds, and after some time the sequence was disrupted, perhaps because I shifted to another tab and spend some time there. As a result, I downloaded the file as a PDF and opened it again. The great thing is that the hyperlinks also work in the PDF version which actually has 4257 pages with the font size I used.

A few more experiences with using the session transcripts file
The great thing is that the hyperlinks also work in the PDF version
It turns out the hyperlinks in the PDF file for some reason work with the Adobe Reader, but not with Foxit Reader. With all the browsers, the PDF hyperlinks are fine.

In a browser, the direct link is faster than the PDF
Having the PDF, I decided to compare the search speed in the browser for the direct link vs having the PDF loaded in the same browser. It turns out the direct link is much quicker, but if it really makes a practical difference is another question.

How to use the full reader search option in the Adobe Reader
With Adobe you can do an advanced search. It will give you the number of hits, list them all in sequence, bold the word it has found and give a few other words to indicate the context in which the word appears.

In Adobe, click Edit, click Find. In the dialogue that opens to the top right box, click the black down arrow next to the search field, click "Open Full Reader Search". Next, the extended search box opens. Type in your search word, and click Search. You will now get a string of results with links. Here is what it looks like, beginning with the extended search box.
Screenshot 2022-01-21 173316.png
And the result:
Screenshot 2022-01-21 174017.png
Notice you can scroll down through your results, and if you hold the cursor over the link to the result, you can see on what page in the document it is found. When you click a link, it will show the word in the Adobe Reader window.

If you use a browser, Firefox has an advantage when searching large files
If you use a browser to search the file, one advantage of Firefox is that, you can scroll down to say the middle of the document and search from there, just as one can do with the PDF readers. With browsers like Edge, Chrome etc., it will give the number of hits, but one apparently has to move from hit to hit sequentially, at least I have not found a way to work around the demand for sequence, though you can press < and begin from the end of the document. If a search only gives 25 hits, it is no problem clicking, but in the search for "child", there were 439!

Conclusion
The PDF hyperlinks may not work in the Foxit Reader
The Full Reader Search on Adobe Reader is the best, as it can give context too.
Firefox allows you to search a document from where you want to begin
Browser searches from the direct link load faster than from the PDF. If it really makes a difference, is another question.

I've decided to resurrect the project, especially that during energy lockdowns it would be cool to have a copy of Cs material ;-) I've converted all the sessions (if anyone is interested, I can share a repository) and converted them to markdown format, and then used Pandoc to generate session compilation documents. It is possible to export to multiple formats, but from what I've seen, PDF and Microsoft Word are the ones that are used the most here. Currently, the PDF is in A5 size format, so it should fit 7" e-Ink reader screens. I've tried to review most of the sessions and also fixed some issues that were present in the original compilation, so there should be not so many issues now (formatting rather some things missing). Here's how it looks on my e-Ink device:
photo_2022-09-15_16-10-42.jpg
If anyone is interested, I can generate some different output formats, like EPUB (but no AZW3 I'm afraid) or a larger PDF intended to be viewed on the desktop screen, or use different fonts (currently it's Spectral). The assets can also be squeezed to minimize the file size. Happy reading! 4296 pages in the small PDF version :-)

Attachments

• sessions-20220915-161826.pdf
    19.4 MB · Views: 34
  • sessions-20220915-160417.docx
    14.9 MB · Views: 16
I've decided to resurrect the project, especially that during energy lockdowns it would be cool to have a copy of Cs material ;-) I've converted all the sessions (if anyone is interested, I can share a repository) and converted them to markdown format, and then used Pandoc to generate session compilation documents. It is possible to export to multiple formats, but from what I've seen, PDF and Microsoft Word are the ones that are used the most here. Currently, the PDF is in A5 size format, so it should fit 7" e-Ink reader screens. I've tried to review most of the sessions and also fixed some issues that were present in the original compilation, so there should be not so many issues now (formatting rather some things missing). Here's how it looks on my e-Ink device:
View attachment 63995
If anyone is interested, I can generate some different output formats, like EPUB (but no AZW3 I'm afraid) or a larger PDF intended to be viewed on the desktop screen, or use different fonts (currently it's Spectral). The assets can also be squeezed to minimize the file size. Happy reading! 4296 pages in the small PDF version :-)
Thank you KS. It is really helpful.

I tend to open the pdf in Kindle. I like Kindle search preview. When I search, it is hard to know which session it belongs. I have to scroll multiple pages ( forward or backward) to know the session date. Is there any way to know the session date from the page? I see the page numbers in trailer. May be you can put the session date too there. I see some pages where multiple trailers exist. May be you can start new session in new page.

Thank you KS. It is really helpful.

I tend to open the pdf in Kindle. I like Kindle search preview. When I search, it is hard to know which session it belongs. I have to scroll multiple pages ( forward or backward) to know the session date. Is there any way to know the session date from the page? I see the page numbers in trailer. May be you can put the session date too there. I see some pages where multiple trailers exist. May be you can start new session in new page.
Sure, how about now? I haven't found any good way to add that information in the footer along with the page number but I've added a default header :-) Also squashed some images, so the PDF size is reduced by 4-5MB. I'm glad it works on Kindle! I have Onyx Boox Nova 2, and it's a pretty powerful device, but the PDF reader lags sometimes...

Attachments

• sessions-20220915-175312.pdf
    15.1 MB · Views: 34
Sure, how about now? I haven't found any good way to add that information in the footer along with the page number but I've added a default header :-) Also squashed some images, so the PDF size is reduced by 4-5MB. I'm glad it works on Kindle! I have Onyx Boox Nova 2, and it's a pretty powerful device, but the PDF reader lags sometimes...
Cool!. That works. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom