Shadow of solar eclipse from space

ScioAgapeOmnis

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
What the shadow of a solar eclipse looks like from space:

_http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap040926.html

Does it look like a hexagon to anyone else? I put dots on what appear to be corners of it...

It reminded me of all those hyperdimensional hexagons Hoagland talks about:
http://www.cassiopaea.org/cass/hoagland.htm

But it's not a cloud, it's a shadow in this case. Perhaps I'm just seeing things?
The thumbnail above looks more like a pentagon, however.

Does it look like a hexagon to anyone else? I put dots on what appear to be corners of it...

bah , tbh now its really hard because you already suggested hexagon or pentagon :D

indeed now it looks like pentagon but it could be seen as hexagon as well :rolleyes:

SAO said:

I can see six tips around the dark circle.

I noticed that some sun's picture also display six tips.

_45034761_sun_poster.jpg

the shadow does look like a bit hexagonal/pentagonal/cornered to me. but that could be an optical illusion because of the clouds underneath - wherever it is darker at a break in the clouds, the shadow appears to extend further.

in the picture of the sun, with the 6 'rays' coming out - isn't that just an artifact caused by certain types of camera lense?

drygol said:

bah , tbh now its really hard because you already suggested hexagon or pentagon :D

Indeed that suggestion made things a little harder to see "objectively". :) That shadow does look kind of shaped now!

Since that is a sollar eclipse, the shadow projected on earth is the moon's shadow, isn't it?

Trying to go the other way around, if was shown the picture without knowing where it came from and what it is,
being the shadow of a perfectly round object (moon) would probably not be my first guess...

So if we are to accept this just as a working hypothesis for a while, would the "shaped" form of this shadow be attributed to the properties of the sun (how it casts his light) or of the moon's (how it deflects light) or something else??

Or maybe i am just beginning to "bake some noodles" here.... :D

Back
Top Bottom