Shattered Glass

knowledge_of_self

The Living Force
Hi group

This is a really good movie imo, and I really recommend it. It is based on a true story, and it was recommended to me a while back by someone on Cass-chat. Don't want to spoil it for anyone so I'll just paste the synopsis from imdb.com

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0323944/

imdb.com said:
Shattered Glass

Plot Outline: The true story of a young journalist who fell from grace when it was found he had fabricated over half of his articles.
Nina

I searched the forum to see if someone talked about it and there it is.

I saw it two days ago and found it very interesting.
The movie in itself isn't great but the depiction of Stephen Glass (nicely played by Hayden Christensen) is truly psychopathic, he lies, cheats and when he is uncovered he lies again and he uses all the pity tricks in the book.
Other characters around him are either charmed by him or unable to see through the deception until he gets discovered.

Stephen Glass is now trying to be a practicing lawyer

From wikipedia :

Stephen Glass completed his law degree at Georgetown University Law Center after being fired by TNR. In 2003, he began appearing on television to promote his "biographical novel" The Fabulist. "I wanted them to think I was a good journalist, a good person. I wanted them to love the story so they would love me", he told Steve Kroft of CBS News' 60 Minutes in an interview, which was included as a special feature for the DVD edition of Shattered Glass.
Glass lives in Los Angeles.
The full in here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Glass

There is an interview From CBSnews where I pulled out these quotes :

http://www(d)cbsnews(d)com/stories/2003/05/07/60minutes/main552819.shtml

Stephen Glass said:
How did this all work? How did Glass draw readers into these lies?

“I would tell a story, and there would be fact A, which maybe was true. And then there would be fact B, which was sort of partially true and partially fabricated. And there would be fact C which was more fabricated and almost not true,

Stephen Glass is one who got caught. How many others carry on like this with impunity? Here in the UK, The Sun newspaper is often being sued for false stories. A good example is the recent (few years ago) story about Elton John. The story was a fabrication, but the newspaper justified it because the reporter paid someone for the story, and only a few pounds (sterling) at that, if I remember correctly. Elton John took the paper to court and won the case, but one can imagine that the amount paid to him was much less than the Sun earned from the story. And yet, Joe Public doesn't seem to learn, or even think about the implications of this.

According to ABC, the Sun is the best-selling popular newspaper in the UK, selling twice as many as its nearest rival, the Daily Mirror. Unbelievable!

Added 2 June 2007:
This thread aroused my interest and I have just watched this film. Highly recommended, if a little sentimentalised.

The plot outline quoted from IMDb does not say anything about the very interesting portrayal of manipulation by Glass. Judging the film by my readings of Hare, Stout, etc, I thought it was quite accurate. And, very interesting to see a psychopath on-screen who is not a violent deranged serial killer.

The copy I rented also had an interview from 60 Minutes with the real Stephen Glass. I don't know quite what I saw there. Is Glass a psychopath, or just a pathological liar who wanted fame and adulation and was prepared to do anything to get it? I couldn't tell for certain, although I did think he was 'protesting a little too much', in the sense of projecting a kind of assumed aura of honesty to the interviewer. But that might just be my subjective interpretation having watched the film before the interview, and then looking for any sign that I was watching a psychopath in action. But he has been in therapy for five years, so maybe he's learned to play the game more convincingly.

Back
Top Bottom