Shooter

Ryan

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
For those of you who like rip-roaring action flicks with a few moments to ponder, you could do a lot worse than to check out "Shooter", the new film from Antoine Fuqua (director of "Training Day"), and starring Mark Wahlberg in the lead role.

Wahlberg plays the character of Bob Lee Swagger, an ex-military sniper living in the remote Arkansas mountains who was left to die by his superiors in Ethopia. He's contacted by a Colonel (Danny Glover) who asks him to come out of retirement to "plan an assassination of the President" in order to out-think a suspected plot by terrorists to do just that. However, the Colonel represents a faction of conspirators within the US government and Swagger has been chosen as their prime patsy for the crime. Of course, Swagger doesn't die so easily and ends up on the run from the government and the conspirators, seeking to clear his name and expose the conspiracy.

The film has great cinematography, unique action sequences, good script, character development and an interesting plot. I quite liked Fuqua's previous effort "Training Day", and was not disappointed by "Shooter".

There is some very interesting political comments in the film. When Swagger is kicking back in his cabin in Akansas, there's a copy of the 9-11 Commission Report next to his computer and he clicks on a news website stating, "Let's see what kind of lies they're selling us today". When the Colonel asks him to save the life of the President, he bluntly states, "Don't like this president much. Didn't much like the one before that, neither". There's a couple of monologues by the bad guys that show their contempt for regular folks and the corrupt Senator at the center of the web who states toward the end, "The truth is what I say it is!"

Shades of the Bush neocons and their "reality-creation" paradigm.

There's also more than a little bit of a nod towards the JFK assassination as well, with an old guns & ammo prof making hints about it, as well as parallels with 9-11 and Iraq. There's also a reference to Abu Ghraib as well, with an ex-shooter telling Swagger, "It's only the little guys that get busted... but they knew about it all the way to the top" (paraphrasing).

Despite the commentary, it doesn't quite go "all the way". The conspirators are a "rogue faction", although it's hinted that there are more people in the network. The government as a whole are still presented as the "good guys" that don't know they've been infiltrated. Despite that the bad guys are obviously psychopathic characters, there's a mention made of "basic human weakness" at one point - leading the audience back to the old "power corrupts" chestnut, which does not really reflect the truth: that "power attracts the corrupt".

Still, I think this movie does what it does very well, and has a few truths in there that might percolate through the sleep of the average Joe/Jane. Recommended.

Thanks Ryan, I often miss good releases only to find out about them years later. A thinking man's action film, that's my kind of movie.

I think they could have been more imaginative in naming the lead character Swagger, who is an ex-commando type. Then, they pile on top of that a stereotype that Swagger is living in the back country of Arkansas, and further heap on that his given names are Bobby Lee. Oh well, they do a lot of similar things in many movies. Maybe that's Hollywood's mindset as to the way fly-over country really is. Or, maybe they think there is a certain appeal to the big markets with such trite connivances.

I can easily overlook these items for a good movie. And, this one sounds like it has a very good plot. Amazon.com has DVDs of Shooter currently selling for $27.95 US, pretty pricey. I'll wait a while until the price comes down, but it is on my "to buy" list now, thanks to you.

It is a shame that a more realistic portrayal can't be made. But, I suppose they can only go so far; wouldn't want to rattle the cages and wake up too many of the "sleeping."

Thanks for the heads up!

Hi Ryan, Hi Locksmith

How to begin on this one????

After my experience in another part of this forum!

OK …

… I will accept all criticisms and ‘shocks’ … and Kieran – if you are still ‘out there’ – please allow me to respond to any posts at all in my own way …

I watched this amazing film with my boyfriend this afternoon – ‘Shooter’, starring Mark Wahlburg – which is all about betrayal, manipulation, government (secret government that is!) dis-information and use of ‘useful idiots.’

As the film progressed I wondered how a Hollywood movie could put out such stuff when they are usually so ‘hidden agenda’ motivated!

At the end though it seemed obvious – obvious, that is, to anyone aware of ‘secret’ agendas – because the last ‘good guy’ was the Attorney-General of the United States! Who bemoaned the fact that evil exists, but that in the real world it was more complicated than a ‘straight-shooting’ good guy could resolve!

And, of course, no hint of possible control/manipulation from other ‘hyper-dimensions’ …

In one scene our hero ‘Bob Lee Swagger’ (sic!) turns on his computer with the comment: ‘Let’s see what lies they are telling us today?’ And, on the table beside his keyboard was the book: ‘911 The Official Report.’

Oh guys …

… this is a must see film!

Even my boyfriend, who is just waking up to the possibilities of ‘secret agendas’, got a jolt out of this one.

Ryan and Locksmith … it was because of your post I rented this movie from our local blockbuster.

Thank you;

A great film just to watch … but more ‘rumbling’ away underneath.

Peace
StevieX

“I've learned a lot about women. I think I've learned exactly how the fall of man occurred in the Garden of Eden. Adam and Eve were in the Garden of Eden, and Adam said one day, "Wow, Eve, here we are, at one with nature, at one with God, we'll never age, we'll never die, and all our dreams come true the instant that we have them." And Eve said, "Yeah... it's just not enough is it?"
- Bill Hicks

Sadly … he may be right! (I speak as a woman! Lol!)
- StevieX

Back
Top Bottom