Show #12: 'Settled Science' - How Greed Corrupted the Hard Sciences

Niall

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
Sunday, April 14th, 2013: 'Settled Science' - How Greed Corrupted the Hard Sciences

Science means ‘knowledge’. A scientist is someone who acquires more knowledge using the scientific method. The scientific method is a body of techniques for investigating the world around us, acquiring new knowledge, or correcting and integrating previous knowledge, based on empirical and measurable evidence that is subject to specific principles of reasoning.

This is all well and good, but what does any of it have to do with ‘science’ as it’s practised today? Today, ignorance is widespread and even scientists appear to show little interest in the truth, instead coveting fame and riches over principled dedication to solving the mysteries of reality.

What happened to the Enlightenment’s promise to reform society through reason? In spite of the proliferation of science through education and media, scientists today are blinded because they are led by the blind in a system that vectors the fruits of scientific inquiry towards destructive ends.

What about those scientists who see this and attempt to break the mould? Mavericks are no longer burned at the stake for daring to challenge the status quo. Nevertheless, scientists today whose work challenges comfortable (and false) assumptions are defamed, ridiculed and marginalised.

In this week’s show, we’ll be looking at how hard science is controlled through selective funding, a ‘peer review process’ that is anything but objective, and the devastating consequences - for society and planet - of science in the hands of a Scientific Establishment whose narrow-minded brand of scientific materialism has hardened into religious orthodoxy.

Join us this Sunday April 14th as we discuss all this and more with a couple of special guests who’ll be sharing some insights borne of direct experience of the charade that passes for ‘science’ today.

The audio stops and I have to hit the "pause" then "play" button to hear it again. Have been doing that several times. Perhaps it's just at my end? :huh:

Vulcan59 said:
The audio stops and I have to hit the "pause" then "play" button to hear it again. Have been doing that several times. Perhaps it's just at my end? :huh:

Yes, I also had to hit pause and play several times, but it is good now. :)

Once again, a good topic, good responses from all you folks, sound quality – excellent on this end, and appreciate hearing from you Ark (guest), thanks for your perspective.

Thanks and good night. :)

dant said:
Are there any plans to provide the radio show transcripts?

They're very expensive from blogtalk Radio, so unless someone here wants to transcribe.

Perceval said:
dant said:
Are there any plans to provide the radio show transcripts?

They're very expensive from blogtalk Radio, so unless someone here wants to transcribe.

Sure, I can start on Episode # 1 tomorrow. If anyone else want's to they should start at episode # 2 and after because I'll transcribe the entire episode. Also, if you're going to start transcribing an episode, post that you are just so two people aren't doing the same thing.

@ Turgon:

On behalf of those who are handicapped or English
is not their first language, I thank you from the bottom
of my heart, for offering to transcribe the radio shows!
It is greatly appreciated and Kudos to you!

dant said:
@ Turgon:

I second this. :)

Mariama said:
dant said:
@ Turgon:

Me third! :clap: :thup: :rockon:

I hope there will be more volunteers to help with this as I can read transcripts much faster than the actual show takes time listening to -- and with far less problems in catching phrases and understanding jargon and technical terminology. From experience I know it also does sink in better and gives ample opportunity for additional research alongside with it, if necessary.

Palinurus said:
Mariama said:
dant said:
@ Turgon:

Me third! :clap: :thup: :rockon:

I hope there will be more volunteers to help with this as I can read transcripts much faster than the actual show takes time listening to -- and with far less problems in catching phrases and understanding jargon and technical terminology. From experience I know it also does sink in better and gives ample opportunity for additional research alongside with it, if necessary.

Just downloaded the first episode on my computer, so I will do my best to get it up as quick as possible. :)

I started transcribing : Are Psychopaths Cool? Uncovering the predators among us. And'll work on that during the next week.

Back
Top Bottom