Show #35: Surviving the End of the World (as we Know it)

Gawan said:
Inga said:
I watched Đejmi Oliver, was in a village in France and performed exactly the recipe leaving meat in fat that you practiced villagers.

He used the duck drumsticks, and mentioned the chicken ... -

First, the meat is put a lot of salt and leave in the refrigerator for 12 h.

After 12 h the little paper towel to wipe remove any salt that remained.

The meat is placed in a pot pour grease (this time he put it in duck fat) and cook for about two and a half hours on low heat.

When the meat is cooked like this puts it in a jar (or glass jars, etc.) pour the same fat to cover the meat.

Fat normally prevents the flow of oxygen that would spoil the meat.

Thanks for sharing Inga. Do you know how long it can be stored afterwards and needs the fat then to be removed when you like to eat it? My personal take would be some months speaking about ghee which is also just fat and can get stored even not in the fridge over a long time period. And I was a bit unsure about the name but I think you meant Jamie Oliver the british cook?

First, I'm sorry to my bad english.
Yes, Jaime Oliver, the British chef.

These people are kept so stored meat. In the pantry or basement. He said nothing what would be the maximum shelf-life, but preparing the meat with salt and fat guarantees a few months.

If they want to eat, you take what you need from the container and throw in a little pan. Be lovely crispy skin.

Maybe this would like to have.. Lots of vitamin C. It can be eaten as a salad or cook on 100 ways with meat :) I put pictures to better understand my English :rolleyes: and original link: http://www.coolinarika.com/recept/kiseljenje-kupusa/

Ingredients:
30 kg of cabbage
2 kg of salt
water as required
(This is according to the recipe, but you can take the amount you want)

1c7d2f9a212c7da8a3ac27b37bcb54c6_view_l.jpg

Mature cabbage, solid head, clean up of the damaged leaves and a sharp knife to carve "root". Created cavity fill with salt.

kupus-je-poslagan-46c227ad97f50f8bd745400347883cc5_header.jpg

The bottom of the barrel sprinkle salt on it along salted cabbage heads, the spaces between the head quarter to put cabbage or optionally even smaller pieces.

2c1d324d57e9b50d270f69ad451a28e6_view_l.jpg

When you have put all the cabbage, salt content additionally barrel and add water to the cabbage is almost all in the water. No need to be all because its volume will decrease and will "sit" in the barrel in which it helps weights (rocks, water bag, water bottles). Before placing weights well put the pressing (plastic, wooden slats).

ad77888eeb913b754e7d5ae3d5880f4e_view_l.jpg

After a few days to check the cabbage and add water if necessary, and in the following days to collect foam that forms on the surface of the water. Sometimes it is necessary to wash and weights. Cabbage stored in this way in a good space can last until late spring

Unfortunately, cabbage can't be well-digested by everyone. I can't have it raw for one, and only tiny amounts when fermented. But many of us have found that the need for vitamin C decreases when you switch to a diet predominantly composed of meet and good saturated fat. The body is able to produce vitamin C itself, and as you heal your gut, you don't need much supplementation, it seems. But thanks for the tip anyway, Inga!

Chu said:
The body is able to produce vitamin C itself, and as you heal your gut, you don't need much supplementation, it seems.

To clarify, the body doesn't produce vitamin C, but there are other mechanisms that come into play reducing the need for it on a ketogenic diet. In part, another acid the body can use for similar purposes, and a mechanism for preserving vitamin C. Vitamin C is also otherwise used to produce other substances, and when these are supplied directly through a ketogenic diet, less vitamin C is needed by the body. There only remains the need for very small amounts, but this can be found in animal products - traces in muscle meat, and more in organ meats like liver.

Psalehesost said:
To clarify, the body doesn't produce vitamin C, but there are other mechanisms that come into play reducing the need for it on a ketogenic diet. In part, another acid the body can use for similar purposes, and a mechanism for preserving vitamin C. Vitamin C is also otherwise used to produce other substances, and when these are supplied directly through a ketogenic diet, less vitamin C is needed by the body. There only remains the need for very small amounts, but this can be found in animal products - traces in muscle meat, and more in organ meats like liver.

Thanks for this, Psalehesost. It makes sense and it's a good thing to know. I thought that the body was able to produce SOME vitamin C. It's much clearer now.

Just wanted to report that tomorrow we will be having a no electricity, no gas, no water from the water main day and see where that will take us. :) This was an idea that Pierre suggested during the show, if I am not mistaken. My youngest is not very keen, but he has to it. :D

I have been reading 'Deep Survival', which is very good, 'The End of the World AWKI' and The Soapmaker's Companion'.
Thank you so much for these titles.
The book about soap is very anti lard and tallow, though, which is a pity, since there are only recipes with vegetable oils. The writer lists the silliest reasons as to why we shouldn't use lard or tallow. She does describe their properties and so on.

Hi all,

Regarding having a practical vehicle that doesn't suck down fuel, I wanted to get some opinions since I'm in the US and pick-up trucks with diesel engines don't exactly grow on trees here.
Yes, we have pick-up trucks with diesel engines but the displacement is fairly large (excess of 5 liters) and the mpg or l/100km isn't that great. (we don't have anything like Mitsubishi L200 here)

I looked into CNG (compressed natural gas) conversions but that's not that practical as far as locating the fuel and I've also looked into wood gas conversions which is doable but going to take some work (and I'd have to go with a truck with a large gas engine to make up for the BTU loss, e.g. V10) and then I need to make sure I have ample supply of dry-ish wood.

At this point my wife and I are looking at replacing one of our vehicles with a fuel sipper and so far (for us) the Prius - used - comes to mind just because the mpg (or l/100km) is a known quantity and high but this is obviously not as practical vehicle as a truck.
I guess I could have a towing package installed to tow a small trailer and that would increase practicality.

My concern is still that it is gasoline based and not diesel based although the diesel infrastructure is not in the US (particularly West Coast) as it is in Europe where there is a much larger percentage of diesel fueled vehicles driving around.

There are some diesel cars sold here - mostly by VW - but the choice is not extensive.

Any input would be appreciated.

Dominique

Some possible considerations Domi:

o Vehicle fuel diversity might be a good idea
o Being able to haul a trailer/RV is good
o Electric cars will expose passengers to high magnetic fields
o 4WD for tough areas and hauling

domi said:
Regarding having a practical vehicle that doesn't suck down fuel, I wanted to get some opinions since I'm in the US and pick-up trucks with diesel engines don't exactly grow on trees here.

[...]

If you're asking whether getting a vehicle with a diesel engine would be a good idea, I couldn't recommend it more. I drive a first-gen Dodge pickup that has a diesel engine and standard transmission. It's actually quite good on gas for its size - around 20/mpg highway - and if you end up getting a diesel, I would really recommend going with a standard transmission as they last longer than an automatic and are better on gas. And definitely look for one with 4x4. Yes, it is hard to find trucks that run on diesel in the U.S., mainly because they last forever and don't really break down. So people are apt to keep them and if they do sell them, it's typically at or above the kelly blue book value, because of their durability and how few are available. But it's totally worth it IMO, because that kind of vehicle is not going to give many problems, especially if it's an older model that's going to be built of metal and have little to no electronics, which is something I am glad to have since in the case of EM interference from cosmic activity the majority of vehicles will experience problems. If the computers that run these vehicles are malfunctioning, many of them will simply be inoperable. Not even considering that, the older trucks just are made better and won't nickel and dime you like a newer vehicle will.

Yes, you'll have to search hard and probably wide to find what you're looking for, but I think it's worth it. If you can find a truck with a Cummins engine, even better, especially one that's standard transmission. They can put on a million miles, literally. If it were me, I would definitely prefer a truck over car if you're looking for a diesel vehicle. You'll have to be patient, but you'll be rewarded with a vehicle that's long-lasting, good on mileage, and won't need work very often.

Agree with Heimdallr, you could also look for an older good condition Mitsubishi Mighty Max (1988 for example) or a similar mid 80's Dodge Power Ram 50 Pickup 4WD. Mileage on both of these can be 25mpg.

Heimdallr said:
domi said:

[...]

If you're asking whether getting a vehicle with a diesel engine would be a good idea, I couldn't recommend it more. I drive a first-gen Dodge pickup that has a diesel engine and standard transmission. It's actually quite good on gas for its size - around 20/mpg highway - and if you end up getting a diesel, I would really recommend going with a standard transmission as they last longer than an automatic and are better on gas. And definitely look for one with 4x4. Yes, it is hard to find trucks that run on diesel in the U.S., mainly because they last forever and don't really break down. So people are apt to keep them and if they do sell them, it's typically at or above the kelly blue book value, because of their durability and how few are available. But it's totally worth it IMO, because that kind of vehicle is not going to give many problems, especially if it's an older model that's going to be built of metal and have little to no electronics, which is something I am glad to have since in the case of EM interference from cosmic activity the majority of vehicles will experience problems. If the computers that run these vehicles are malfunctioning, many of them will simply be inoperable. Not even considering that, the older trucks just are made better and won't nickel and dime you like a newer vehicle will.

Yes, you'll have to search hard and probably wide to find what you're looking for, but I think it's worth it. If you can find a truck with a Cummins engine, even better, especially one that's standard transmission. They can put on a million miles, literally. If it were me, I would definitely prefer a truck over car if you're looking for a diesel vehicle. You'll have to be patient, but you'll be rewarded with a vehicle that's long-lasting, good on mileage, and won't need work very often.

Hello,
Recently I had to move my car. I had many doubts and despite all opinions against people close to me, because they thought it was not a practical option for me and much more expensive, I chose a diesel 4x4 standard transmission, (Honda CRV). Inside me I thought it was the best possible option for future times.
But now what worries me is the fuel, especially about the possible shortage of the same or higher prices. It is a good idea to save a few liters?, How much would be appropriate? I live in southern Spain. Any information or suggestions regarding this will be very welcome and appreciated.

I have another question if you are so kind. I I have some problems with the audio in English, and perhaps is the text in English of the Show 35: Surviving ... and I can not find it.

Thanks to all and a hug.

Ariadna said:
I have another question if you are so kind. I I have some problems with the audio in English, and perhaps is the text in English of the Show 35: Surviving ... and I can not find it.

I am working on the proof reading of the show and hope to have it done by this weekend. Then it will be published.

Nicolas said:
Ariadna said:

I am working on the proof reading of the show and hope to have it done by this weekend. Then it will be published.

Thank you very much, Nicolas! ;) ;D

Hello,
Recently I had to move my car. I had many doubts and despite all opinions against people close to me, because they thought it was not a practical option for me and much more expensive, I chose a diesel 4x4 standard transmission, (Honda CRV). Inside me I thought it was the best possible option for future times.
But now what worries me is the fuel, especially about the possible shortage of the same or higher prices. It is a good idea to save a few liters?, How much would be appropriate? I live in southern Spain. Any information or suggestions regarding this will be very welcome and appreciated.

In my opinion (IMO), having extra fuel could definitely come in handy. Obviously one cannot store enough for continued long term use, but a few gallons could really pull you out of a pinch. If you decide to stock up, make sure the containers are approved for your type of fuel. They typically are sold in different colors according to which type of fuel.

Also remember that storing the fuel in a safe place is extremely important. IE: If you were to keep the fuel in a garage, keep it away from anything electric like a water heater, etc.

Also, I would tell no-one that you were stocking up on items of that nature. If chaos ensues, it's your place they'll think of first.

Good luck!

Edit: Quote box fixed by mod.

Back
Top Bottom