Show #35: Surviving the End of the World (as we Know it)

Niall

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
Sunday 29th September: Surviving the End of the World (as we Know it)

Impending economic collapse; global food shortages and famine; a planet frozen by sudden glacial rebound; widespread illness from comet-borne viruses; societal breakdown from bloody revolution; psychos in power launching nuclear Armageddon... it's not 'the end' of the world, but it's certainly a time of great change.

When we see the same things happening over and over again in history, it becomes clear that the point is not to worry but to be aware. There may be mass death, but those who are prepared, like the Wise Virgins, survive and create the future.

It'll be frightening, possibly fun, and most certainly interesting. Fortune will play a large part in determining the outcomes from one person to the next, but the ones who are prepared are the ones who draw Fortune to their side. So, the question is: how do we prepare?

This week on SOTT Talk Radio, we're going to discuss some good ideas and how to put them in action. We'll also be taking a critical look at some of the wilder ideas that have given so-called 'preppers' and 'survivalists' a bad rep.

Join us this Sunday from 2-4pm EST (8-10pm CET).

This is a very timely announcement and I appreciate you guys covering this topic. Recently I've been so bogged down in the day to day stuff that I haven't even thought about this Topic of topics, but as the skies get more crowded and the Earth gets more angry every day it's always a nagging worry in the back of my mind.

Really looking forward to this broadcast, good luck to you!

Great topic to cover Kniall. There needs to be some serious discussion on how to deal with or how we are able to adapt to the changes that are to come. Whatever they may be! Scary thought that the rug is going to be pulled out from under us and we will have to change gears in so many ways. Looking forward to your show!

SeekinTruth said:
I agree that this is a great topic and am looking forward to it, as well.

I second this. Yes, how come the preps are always seen as crazy people? I remember when I was young my parents knew a couple who were Mormons. They show us their basement: it was full of containers of food, rice, grains, etc. I used to think they were crazy but now I think they were not. Myself in that sense I am not prepared at all if a famine comes, I have nothing in my basement and I don't have money to put food aside. But the subject is super interesting. I am looking forward to it!

It sounds like a very interesting and timely show! Thanks for covering this topic guys.

"How do we prepare?"

I really look forward to your discussion.

As well as practical prepardness, i feel the psychological (and spiritual) aspects may be highly significant also.

Good luck with the show! :)

Looking forward! Great topic.

This week I have been looking into soap making. As I have said before I am not highly skilled, in fact I have two left hands, but this is something which I could do and which I find enjoyable. I have been doing a bit of research and even found out that you can make soap of lye made of wood ash and tallow and lard. But I have to make it before I can say it really works. ;)
What I am trying to say: I wish to get more confidence and build on the skills that I am learning. I think that is also key, a hands-on approach and a desire to learn new things from scratch.

Added: As a kid I loved the books written by Laura Ingalls Wilder, because she described all kinds of skills and how they went about it. In her book 'Farmer Boy' you can also find all kinds of techniques which are very interesting, OSIT. The soap the mother made was soft, BTW. :) Just saying, because people might expect it should be hard.

I have been doing a bit of research and even found out that you can make soap of lye made of wood ash

Yes mixing ashes with water produces lye which is one of the two components along with lipids necessary to start a saponification reaction. Some producers even keep some ashes when skimming the lye because of the slight abrasive properties of ashes.

Mariama said:
The soap the mother made was soft, BTW. :) Just saying, because people might expect it should be hard.

The hardness of the soap you make will depend on the kind of fat you use and on the lye saturation. Basically the longer the fatty chains are and the higher the lye percentage is, the harder the soap will be.

That's the reason why the soap labelled "pure olive oil" actually only contain about 70% of olive oil, the rest is usually palm oil. Soap that is only made of olive oil is very soft and when exposed to water it turns into jelly.

So home-made hard soap is feasible but you need the right fat mix and to dose precisely your fat/lye ratio. You put as much lye as possible but not too much otherwise the saponification reaction is incomplete and you will have untransformed fat in your soap.

Looking forward to this!

I agree with others, the day to day stuff takes up time but this topic has been on my mind also.

Great topic, looking forward to this. We have not had any rain for a few months now, and I daresay there will be a hike in food prices and utilities if this keeps up. The signs are there, the weather has gone crazy, (the world seems to have gone crazy), and I am not imagining it. This is really happening!!

Best of luck with the show guys, and thank you for a note-worthy topic!

Back
Top Bottom