Sirius spots

Ghazi18

Jedi
Hello family!

I bought a small beginners telescope to learn how to use it before eventually moving on to other types of telescopes. While I am getting the hang of using it, I have seen our beautiful moon and also what I believe to be Jupiter (it was close to the moon and the brightness was interfering a lot but I did see the sphere shape). One night, I pointed my telescope towards the direction of Sirius and what I saw caught me by surprise! I saw an orangish sphere with 3 black round spots on it and at first I thought it was Venus! Now, I am not a professional by any means, it is more like a hobby but I was very surprised because I did not expect to see such a thing.

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to point it towards Sirius again and I saw the same thing, except this time it was more of a grayish color (could’ve been me tinkering with the telescope) but the black round spots where there at or around the same area. One of the black round spots is at the lower left area and the other at the lower right. The third one is around the upper left area, and that’s when I figured that it wasn’t Venus. I figured maybe it could be some type of solar activity? Or perhaps it could not even be Sirius but a star by that area.

Apologies for any ridiculous assumptions. Just curious and wanted to know if anyone has encountered anything similar.

Back
Top Bottom