Ski boots advice needed

SlavaOn

Jedi Master
Hello.

I purchased several pairs of second-hand cross country skies for myself and my family.
Now, I have to procure ski boots. They all have boot locks with 3 protruding pins on the bottom.
Some of the locks are wide - we used this type in Russia. They will take a lip on a front of the boot and with a pivoting bracket it locks it securely in place. But the other skis have the same type of the lock, but much narrower and in triangular shape. How does this lock type called?

My 2nd question: would it be possible to make a flat piece of wood in a shape that fits the ski lock and wearing normal winter boots attach them with belts to that platform? Is this something that could be purchased?
I recon, it would be more practical and comfortable to be able to ski in worm high winter boots then in "special" ski boots...

SlavaOn

Hi SlavaOn,

Can you take pictures of the different bindings/skis you are talking about? That would really help with your questions.

skis.jpg

The ones on the left are typical Russian locks that I am familiar with. The ones on the right are more pointy. Could they be known as 'Nordic"?

SlavaOn

Yes, those are Nordic skis. You need ski boots that have holes that a line with the three pins. Something like pictured in the ebay link below. The same boot perhaps would fit both pairs of bindings.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/cross-country-ski-boots-3-pin

Hope that helps!

Also, cross country boots are pretty comfortable. They need to fit well so you don't get blisters, so rigging something for worn snow boots I don't think would be wise. Lots of inexpensive secondhand boots out there.

Hello Rhiannon.

All these boots have flat protruding ends that would fit into the skis' lock on the left.
Would they fit into the lock on the right skis, that has a narrower more triangular shape?
Will I have to cut these ends to fit into the lock?

SlavaOn

SlavaOn said:
Hello Rhiannon.

All these boots have flat protruding ends that would fit into the skis' lock on the left.
Would they fit into the lock on the right skis, that has a narrower more triangular shape?

SlavaOn

Normally they should fit with any problem.

I used to have those and I never had any problem to fit them on those kind of skis. In fact, they are made to fit exactly this kind of fixation.

The new fxations are very different.

SlavaOn said:
Hello Rhiannon.

SlavaOn

I am pretty sure the 75mm 3 pin binding set up is universal for 3 pin boots. Maybe call a ski shop to be sure. Be sure you specify 75mm 3 pin binding .

Rhiannon said:
SlavaOn said:
Hello Rhiannon.

SlavaOn

I am pretty sure the 75mm 3 pin binding set up is universal for 3 pin boots. Maybe call a ski shop to be sure. Be sure you specify 75mm 3 pin binding .

Yes, what you are referring to are called the Nortic Norm. Wiki has a layout on different ski bindings here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ski_binding

Here's a link with perhaps some information as others have offered that might help. The publication is OK, a wee bait pricey, but the leads are fair.
_https://www.outsideonline.com/search/google/%27Nordic

Also from the same publication a recent article concerning your endeavors: Good Luck.

Nordic Skiing Is the Hardest Thing You Can Do This Winter
_https://www.outsideonline.com/2127176/ranking-worlds-toughest-outdoor-sports?utm_source=fitness&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=01142017&spMailingID=27565043&spUserID=ODIyODM5Mjg0OTYS1&spJobID=962853579&spReportId=OTYyODUzNTc5S0

Nordic Skiing
Calories per hour: 952
Injury rate: 30 per 1,000 skiing hours
Fatality rate: 11 per 1 million Nordic skiers
Experts: Sophie Caldwell, Kikkan Randall

Back
Top Bottom