SOTT paper version

combsbt

Jedi Master
I don't know if this has been suggested before but here it goes:

In the city I live in, along with many other cities, there are restaurants, stores, college dorms/class buildings, and plenty of other places where there are free publications distributed. There will usually be a rack of some sort, or just a couple piles of different magazines and local papers. I suggest that we make a Signs of the Times paper version and try to get it out through volunteering members here on the forum in different cities around the world.

It could be just the articles that the SOTT editors have written, or perhaps just a monthly publication of "Connecting the Dots". I would be willing to put this together into a paper friendly format and possibly get it printed on newsprint. I sent a request for a price quote to an online company that does newsprint printing but haven't heard back yet. I'll request quotes from some other ones to see if this is actually feasible.

So my question to the editors is this: Would you condone a monthly printed version of Connecting the Dots, or a printed version of SOTT in any way?

I really think a lot of people are more likely to pick up and read a free publication than to search online for alternative news. The paper itself could redirect you to sott.net so if people like what they read they could continue to read SOTT online!

If anyone has any suggestions on this, whether it be format or content related or whatever, I'd appreciate some suggestions.

Sounds like a fine idea, and one we have toyed with for many years. I like the idea of a monthly publication. Other that Sott original content, we could get permission from other Sott friendly web authors to republish some of their recent articles. Check out the funding angle and let us know.

Good idea. (There seems to be loads of 'em around here lately.) A printed version would be good in poorer areas where people don't always have internet acess.

What you could do is put together the monthly CTD, any SOTT focus items from that month, and the "Best of the Best of Web" listing with blurbs. If you formatted it in pdf, it could be shared with volunteers in various locations who could then take it, have it printed, and pass it out as you have described in their own areas. I'm sure that a good network of distributors could be set up if someone will provide a little leadership in getting this project off the ground. You will, of course, want to submit each month's copy to the sott editors for review and approval.

I can help with setting up the graphics and layout as I can use Indesign and have a fairly good eye for design, if that may help. If other are more fluid or have skills in graphic design and typography that may help also..

Arne said:
I can help with setting up the graphics and layout as I can use Indesign and have a fairly good eye for design, if that may help. If other are more fluid or have skills in graphic design and typography that may help also..

Sounds great. We also want to get a little FOTCM newsletter going. Just something like one big sheet that folds and has four pages. To start.

I guess that working on this sort of thing will really require an egroup where there are file sections where people can upload and download and work on stuff without making a lot of forum noise. So let me think about forming an egroup for projects and get it set up and then I'll take a show of hands and get everybody hooked up.

Count me in.

I'll be grateful to finally contribute to this amazing work after years of just soaking up the knowledge in this pages...

That sounds pretty awesome :) There's a pretty large English section in Tokyo where I can drop some stuff off or help in some way... count me in too!

Back
Top Bottom