Sound awakens nature?

Petar

Padawan Learner
Spring is here, nature is awakening to a new life.
I love spending time in nature, enjoying the colors, smelling the flowers, listening to the sounds of nature.
For some years now I have been wondering how nature actually works?
We know that the change of seasons from winter to spring brings higher temperatures and that would trigger nature awakening. I live in North Holland for the last couple of years and as the weather is getting colder and it is remarkable that the winter temperatures last longer than expected (if you dont follow PTB narrative) but the flowers are still blooming, trees are getting green, birds are singing, nature is awakening although it still feels like winter.
Listening to the birds in the morning gives me a warm feeling , but the winter jacket I have to wear reminds me that winter is still here, so I was wondering, as the ice age approaches, temperatures will drop, is it the sound of the birds, insects, animals that wakes nature up?

That's an interesting question. I was looking for information on this and found out that plants can wake up even when there's no sunlight! They follow their programmed circadian rhythm. But I read this article a few months ago about how birdsong is good for plants, and I was pleasantly surprised:

How might birdsong aid plant growth?

Plants lack the auditory organs necessary to “hear” birdsong in the traditional sense. However, there are several theories for how sonic vibrations could nonetheless impart benefits:
  • Enhanced photosynthesis – Exposure to sound waves may boost plants’ rate of photosynthesis, allowing them to more efficiently convert sunlight into energy.
  • Improved circulation – Vibrations from birdsong could increase nutrient and water transport through the plant by disturbing cell membranes.
  • Increased chlorophyll – Birdsong may stimulate chlorophyll synthesis, leading to more of this green pigment essential for photosynthesis.
  • Stress reduction – Plants may become stressed by prolonged silence. Birdsong could alleviate this effect in a manner similar to how music therapy relaxes humans.
Researchers have speculated these effects may be especially pronounced when the songs play a role in bird courtship, as the frequencies involved may have co-evolved to optimally interact with plant physiology.

Observational studies​

• A 2013 study observed increased plant thickness in areas exposed to bird vocalizations in a boreal forest.
  • One experiment detected improved germination in radish seeds played certain bird calls.
  • However, other analyses of crop fields and forests have found no differences between areas with and without birdsong exposure.

But I read this article a few months ago about how birdsong is good for plants, and I was pleasantly surprised:
That could be why it has been said by some people that certain types of music seem to make their plants grow better; and other certain types of music make their plants not so healthy. When you imagine the types of vibrations put out by different types of music, it makes sense.

Both your responses prompted me to do a little reading on the anecdotal, sound affecting water topic; it occurred to me that if there's some evidence showing that birdsong is aiding plant growth then perhaps one aspect may be sound affecting the water in the soil, similar to the mechanism supposedly happening in the ever-growing trend of sound being used as therapy or for healing.

Although light on science, references and quoted studies I found this article on the topic interesting (emphasis mine):

The Healing Connection Between Sound and Water

How soundscapes can be used as a powerful tool for us to embark on immersive healing journeys through resonance with the water in our bodies.

Ingmar Nieuwold

Recently I was working on a project called ‘Ripples’. A collaboration between a Dutch photography agency and a Slovenian Photography Gallery led to an exhibition about water, how it connects us, how it is the origin of life, cause of joy and conflict and movement of whole tribes of people or the source of rituals like baptism, purification, worship of Gods and deities connected to water by sailors, or those who work the fields and need rain.

(....)

In sound healing the effect of sound on water is often highlighted. This process of creation of these different soundscapes made me reflect on water again and on how sound affects it. What exactly is this relationship between sound, water and our human bodies?

(....)

Water is essential for our survival.

(....)
Sound has a profound impact on water, affecting its behaviour and structure in various ways. There is this fascinating interplay between water and sound, and exploring how sound affects the water in our bodies, the role of cymatics and geometric patterns in water and cells, and how sound is being used in modern medicine to grow heart tissue, is a big part of why I work as a musician and sound therapist and why I believe sound is the healing modality of the future.

The Effect of Sound on Water in Our Bodies

Water is a highly responsive substance, and sound waves can have a significant impact on it. We know our bodies are filled with water-based fluids, think of our blood, lymph, and our inter- and intra-cellular fluid. Sound waves can cause these fluids to move, producing (pressure) waves that can affect our health and well-being. By using harmonics and specific frequencies and intensities, sound can help improve circulation and reduce inflammation, leading to a range of health benefits. Some of these benefits include reducing pain and swelling, improving joint mobility, and reducing stress and anxiety. In a sound healing session, various soundscapes are created using instruments such as singing bowls, chimes, gongs, and drums. The sounds produced are not only calming but also vibrate at frequencies that resonate with different parts of the body, creating a healing effect. The sounds also create an environment of deep relaxation and meditative state, allowing the mind and body to release stress and tension.

Cymatics and Geometric Patterns in Water and Cells

Cymatics is the study of the effects of sound on matter, including water. When sound waves are introduced to water, they cause the water to form complex patterns and shapes, creating beautiful and intricate geometric designs that look like mandalas. These designs are often referred to as ‘cymatic patterns’ and can reveal much about the underlying principles of sound and the nature of water.

0*ZWK3rrrtk4QM-37g.png

cymetics: geometric (sound) patterns in water
The same principles apply to the cells within our bodies, which as we learned are also composed largely of water. When sound waves are introduced to cells, they can cause the cells to move and change shape, leading to changes in the way they function. This has led to some exciting developments in the field of medicine, with researchers exploring the use of sound to promote cellular health and repair.

Sound in Modern Medicine: Growing Heart Tissue

To me, one of the most exciting applications of sound in modern medicine is the use of sound waves to grow heart tissue.
By exposing cells to specific frequencies and intensities of sound, researchers have found that they can stimulate the cells to divide and grow, leading to the formation of new tissue.
This approach has shown promise in early studies and is being actively researched as a potential treatment for heart disease.

In modern medicine, sound can be used to destroy as well. Histotripsy is a therapeutic method that uses high-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) to non-invasively treat soft tissue disorders and diseases. It utilizes high-frequency sound waves to produce mechanical pressure waves that causes controlled destruction of targeted tissues.

Spanda is a Sanskrit word that refers to the pulsation or vibration of the universe. It is seen as the underlying pulse or rhythm that animates everything in creation, from the smallest particles to the largest structures. In this context, Spanda is often considered a manifestation of the divine and a source of creation and inspiration. It is the source of all movement, action, and creativity. I have this intuitive feeling that the geometric patterns we see in the world of things and the mathematical principles that underlie these are the result of sound and in it lies the key to mastering matter.

Whether it’s through the intricate patterns formed by sound waves in water and other mediums or the effects of sound on our health, the interplay between water and sound is truly fascinating and holds great promise for the future.

Soundscapes

This brings me back to soundscapes, the collective sounds of an environment, which can, as we learned, significantly influence our emotions, wellbeing, health, and overall experience. The sounds we encounter daily can evoke different feelings, such as peace from the sound of crashing waves, or annoyance from a loud car horn. Similarly, music can have a strong effect on our emotions, with classical music being linked to calmness or heavy metal to anger or excitement.

0*Aqe7TWPjB5vQtbaK.png

Nature’s soundscapes, such as bird songs and waterfalls, also have a calming effect on our minds and bodies, reducing stress and anxiety.

(...)

Maybe that sound (music in particular) combined with its effect on water is one of the healing modalities of nature but can also promote health and growth. It would give birdsong a purpose beyond communication and courtship (and birds a stewardship role in creation haha).

Back
Top Bottom