Spring is here?!?

L

Linda

We live in northern Ontario, about 800 kilometres north of Toronto. We've had an unusually mild winter, with our first significant snowfall (about a foot of snow) last Sunday-Monday. Normally, we start getting snow in November, and several feet build up and remain on the ground through the end of April. We typically have temps hovering around zero to 10 F or less, and down to -40 F. We haven't been below zero F all winter.

This morning, we observed two cowbirds and two swallows partaking of the bird feed we put out for the chickadees, blue jays, gray jays and woodpeckers we have during the winter. These cowbirds arrive in spring and summer for breeding, and normally winter in the southern US. The sparrows stop by here in spring on their way up north to their breeding grounds around Hudson's Bay.

It's making me wonder what how this summer is going to be.

Same here in central New England. As I write this it’s approaching 50 F and the normal high for today is 33F / 0.6C to 31.2F / -0.4C. The normal low is 16.5F / -8.6C to 15F / -9.4C. Couple this with the mild January we had here and the record Hurricane season this past year and you can’t help but feel this is just the beginning.

And here we are a year later and again the temperature outside will be reaching mid-sixties if not higher. Not bad for January 6th when everything should be frozen. Yep nothing strange going on here.....now get along little doggie and enjoy the day!

Spring here in New England is so nice. I was out today, it's almost 70F, sunny, the kids are complaining that they're hot and want to come inside, the crocuses are sprouting, buds are growing.

Seriously, it's scary. Now, days like this will happen in the north of the U.S. in winter. But it's been warm all Fall. We have had no more than an inch of snow so far. I was in northern California this week and they had near freezing temperatures.

Here in Denmark, there has only been one or two nights with freezing temperatures, this "winter".
Until now the temperature has remained around 10 degress Celcius.

Summer Xmas here in Brisbane, Australia has been interesting so far. It has been much cooler than usual. Many places in Qld had new low daily temperature records. The Aussie Bureau of Meterology summary has the details. It seems that the climate is getting more extreme and volatile. I remember reading an article (possibly in one of Don's economic commentaries) about market volatility being one possible signal of a dramatic change in stock prices. It will be interesting to see what happens to the weather if it follows similar dynamics.

On a news station on TV here on Jan 1, they did a recap on the weather highlights for 2006. This was basically for the Seattle, WA, USA area:

February - heavier than usual rains with major flooding of rivers
Summer - the longest stretch of 90 degree (farenheit) temperatures on record
November - the wettest month ever recorded with flooding; and rivers making new record highs for flooding
then a 2 ft. of very wet snow fell breaking treetops and limbs and causing power outages all over
December - (they say) hurricane force winds which did more tree damage - as in whole trees falling over onto vehicles and houses. Over 1 million people without power for up to a week.

I am a bit north of Seattle so even though we had some very heavy winds, Seattle and the surrounding areas got the brunt of it and there was a tremendous amount a damage.

It has been a very strange year for weather. Maybe it is not only reflecting what is going on in 4D, but is reflecting the turmoil being created here by the 3D Pathocarcy as well.

It's being reported locally that this will be the warmest January in Wisconsin since they started taking record. Weird, weird stuff...

We haven't had sufficient rain in Cyprus the last year and they will start cutting water in February. Which means the water deposits will be full, but we will have to live with that water for few days, without it being replenished. In 2000 the 7 year drought period ended, but before that, that's how things were.

It never became winter in Cyprus yet....

beau said:
It's being reported locally that this will be the warmest January in Wisconsin since they started taking record. Weird, weird stuff...
It's been in the newspapers that this year should be the warmest yet since records began.

Unless you live around Denver. I bet they wish it WAS spring there. A local meteorologist said that there is an "El Nino" going on causing most of the NE to be unusually warm. It's been warm and rainy here in WV as well.

Don

Here yesterday and the day before it`s been RAINING. Usually we have snowstorms in January! There is maybe half a foot of snow on the groung, whereas the norm would be a few feet. My kid siblings hate it, seen as there's no way to do any of the normal winter stuff (sliding, snowball fights, snowmen, building forts etc etc).

What's interesting is - did Weather.com stop updating its temperature records, or am I not giving them enough time? :P

Weather in Boston for January 6, 2007 (zip code 02115):
http://www.weather.com/weather/pastweather/02115?from=36hr_topnav_undeclared

This is probably a very temporary link, but here is what it says:

High Low Precip
Actuals 68°F 54°F 0.09 in.
Averages 37°F 23°F --
Records 62°F -10°F
(1913) (1896) --
As you can see the RECORD high for that particular day is 62F from 1913 - but the actual for this day is 68, yesterday! If you go to the "records" part of the website, it also lists the record for that day as 62F. My question is, are they going to update it to 68F? If so, when? I'll keep checking the records and see if they update.

Here is data for January 5:

High Low Precip
Actuals 63°F 48°F 0.07 in.
Averages 37°F 23°F --
Records 62°F -4°F
(1993) (1981) --
Also notice the record high is 62F from 1993, not 63F from this year. I know it's only the past couple of days, but if this is not updated in the future, then I'll be wondering how many actual records like these were also ignored..

Oh yeah, and we're having an extremely warm winter to say the least. Almost had dinner outside today it was so warm. Didn't wanna set up table/chairs though since they were put away for winter. But we're still waiting for winter to start...

Hello:

We have had very strange and rough weather in Vancouver recently. Firstly received a pretty big snow storm the last week of November. Then, we have had several storms which include HIGH, HIGH winds. The storm before that last one (last one was last night) was so bad, to a point where our famous BC PLACE was inflated due to the storm. Here is an article that talks about this incident.

http://p231(dot)news.mud.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070106/ap_on_sp_ol/oly_dome_collapse

And also the famous Stanley Park has been closed a few times for several days (still is) due to fallen trees and basically unstable trees that could go at any minute. I checked out the news, and there has been several reports of fallen trees on houses. And of course the power was out throughout pretty much all BC for a couple of days. Oh, and as I am writing this it is snowing outside.

I have to admit that being in these storms is a very interesting experience. Seeing all the fallen trees, and basically all the wreckage and chaos it is as if it is a glimpse to what is coming osit.

So there is some weather related news from my end.

Nina

Same here in France, and I think for most of Europe - very warm for this time of year. New record set in southern France for January - 20 degrees C. Serious lack of rain also which is hitting agriculture hard. Totally bizarre. Like some have said, what are we to expect for Summer?

Joe

Back
Top Bottom