Star Anise a useful herb

Hmm I find the antiviral effects interesting and was about to order it online tho I found it has estrogen mimicking effects, which worries me personally, as a male, for long term use. But apparently it can be good for those experiencing menopause.
Here's an exert or two from healthline if anyone's interested in taking or learning more about it:

Could Help Relieve Menopause Symptoms
Menopause is the natural decline in women’s reproductive hormones during aging, resulting in symptoms like hot flashes, fatigue and dry skin.

Anise seed is thought to mimic the effects of estrogen in your body, potentially reducing symptoms of menopause

In one four-week study, 72 women with hot flashes took either a placebo or a capsule containing 330 mg of anise seed three times daily. Those taking anise experienced a nearly 75% reduction in severity and frequency of hot flashes

Some of the compounds in anise seed may also help prevent bone loss, one of the hallmark symptoms of menopause that occurs as a result of declining estrogen levels in your body

One study found that an essential oil comprised of 81% anethole, the active ingredient in anise, helped prevent bone loss and protect against osteoporosis in rats

Possible Side Effects

Most people can safely consume anise without the risk of adverse side effects.

However, it could trigger an allergic reaction, especially if you’re allergic to plants in the same family — such as fennel, celery, parsley or dill.

Additionally, anise’s estrogen-mimicking properties could worsen symptoms of hormone-sensitive conditions, like breast cancer or endometriosis

The Bottom Line
Anise seed is a powerful plant that is rich in many nutrients and boasts a wide array of health benefits.

It has anti-fungal, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties and may fight stomach ulcers, keep blood sugar levels in check and reduce symptoms of depression and menopause.

Combined with a nutritious diet and healthy lifestyle, anise seed could improve several aspects of your health.

Back
Top Bottom