Stranger Things

Foxx

The Living Force
"Stranger Things" is a new Netflix original TV series that was released in mid July and I really enjoyed watching it. It's 8 roughly one hour episodes and is something along the lines of a Sci-Fi mystery thriller, billed as paying homage to Steven Spielberg and David Lynch, set in the 1980s that touches on a number of interesting topics in a surprisingly grounded way. It's suspenseful and intense, but not gruesome and I wouldn't really describe it as a horror show. I thought the story and character development were fantastic and the acting by the child actors was really impressive. Here's a blurb on it:

A love letter to the '80s classics that captivated a generation, Stranger Things is set in 1983 Indiana, where a young boy vanishes into thin air. As friends, family and local police search for answers, they are drawn into an extraordinary mystery involving top-secret government experiments, terrifying supernatural forces and one very strange little girl.

It's got a 9.1 on IMDB and 94% on Rottentomatoes

Trailer:

https://youtu.be/XWxyRG_tckY

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

I was impressed by the way that it dealt with the hyperdimensional reality in the show (that it was real and was a jungle) and that they specifically referenced the CIA MKULTRA program, rather than referring to some vague nefarious government program, though I thought they portrayed the CIA as a bit too nice. I was reading John Keel's "The Mothman Prophecies" around the same time as watching this show and the two really went together--the show basically could have been a story out of Keel's book.

I thought it was interesting how all of the characters had a separate piece of the puzzle and once they started networking about the weird things they were seeing and anomalous events, rather than keeping it to themselves or brushing it off, they gained a new picture and could figure out what to do.

I'm wondering what they'll do in the second season since it leaves a lot of things open. I hope that Eleven didn't die at the end and with Hopper leaving the eggo waffles in the woods, it looks like she might not have. They also seemed to be eluding to something strange happening with Hopper's daughter and that her cancer wasn't quite ordinary, and also with Hopper himself as towards the end he goes off with the CIA, suggesting that perhaps he's cooperating with them in some way now, or perhaps that he was the whole time, or perhaps that he has to "pay the piper" for the deal that he made to get into the upside down to get Will back. And they certainly leave open a large and creepy question with what's going on with Will at the end where he coughs up some kind of strange worm that will probably turn into another creepy monster thing, which makes me wonder if there's basically going to be more bleed through in the town with the upside down. It seemed to me, based on Will's reaction to returning to dinner after coughing the thing up, that he's aware that he's not really normal anymore and I'm wondering if he's basically been taken over by this thing as a host for its propagation.

It sounds like it's very likely that they're going to make a second series, but that it's not green-lighted yet, and that they're going to dive deeper into some of these questions.

Foxx said:
"Stranger Things" is a new Netflix original TV series that was released in mid July and I really enjoyed watching it. It's 8 roughly one hour episodes and is something along the lines of a Sci-Fi mystery thriller, billed as paying homage to Steven Spielberg and David Lynch, set in the 1980s that touches on a number of interesting topics in a surprisingly grounded way. It's suspenseful and intense, but not gruesome and I wouldn't really describe it as a horror show. I thought the story and character development were fantastic and the acting by the child actors was really impressive. Here's a blurb on it:

A love letter to the '80s classics that captivated a generation, Stranger Things is set in 1983 Indiana, where a young boy vanishes into thin air. As friends, family and local police search for answers, they are drawn into an extraordinary mystery involving top-secret government experiments, terrifying supernatural forces and one very strange little girl.

It's got a 9.1 on IMDB and 94% on Rottentomatoes

Trailer:

https://youtu.be/XWxyRG_tckY

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

I was impressed by the way that it dealt with the hyperdimensional reality in the show (that it was real and was a jungle) and that they specifically referenced the CIA MKULTRA program, rather than referring to some vague nefarious government program, though I thought they portrayed the CIA as a bit too nice. I was reading John Keel's "The Mothman Prophecies" around the same time as watching this show and the two really went together--the show basically could have been a story out of Keel's book.

I thought it was interesting how all of the characters had a separate piece of the puzzle and once they started networking about the weird things they were seeing and anomalous events, rather than keeping it to themselves or brushing it off, they gained a new picture and could figure out what to do.

I'm wondering what they'll do in the second season since it leaves a lot of things open. I hope that Eleven didn't die at the end and with Hopper leaving the eggo waffles in the woods, it looks like she might not have. They also seemed to be eluding to something strange happening with Hopper's daughter and that her cancer wasn't quite ordinary, and also with Hopper himself as towards the end he goes off with the CIA, suggesting that perhaps he's cooperating with them in some way now, or perhaps that he was the whole time, or perhaps that he has to "pay the piper" for the deal that he made to get into the upside down to get Will back. And they certainly leave open a large and creepy question with what's going on with Will at the end where he coughs up some kind of strange worm that will probably turn into another creepy monster thing, which makes me wonder if there's basically going to be more bleed through in the town with the upside down. It seemed to me, based on Will's reaction to returning to dinner after coughing the thing up, that he's aware that he's not really normal anymore and I'm wondering if he's basically been taken over by this thing as a host for its propagation.

It sounds like it's very likely that they're going to make a second series, but that it's not green-lighted yet, and that they're going to dive deeper into some of these questions.

Great series!! I will also recommend it to the other members :D Plus the soundtrack is also great!

Im sure they are making a second season, or I hope! They can't leave us like that hehe, and for me the ending opens possibilites to SO many things that can happen in the second season, this was just like a small taste IMO.. I will have to say i think Eleven is still alive.. judging from that scene where the cop leaves waffles.. hum :huh: And Will coughing that weird worm, he certainly knows something is wrong. :O

I too thought this was a very interesting series, full of twists and turns. The ending series was very dramatic and shall I say spooky! I give this series a 9 also, the government piece of it was almost real as I am sure these type of experiments do exist at DARPA.

I agree, I recently got to watch it and I enjoyed it very much.

Although I’m a sucker for movies or shows that are set in the 70s and 80s.

Just love the music of that era. ;D

I really enjoyed this series as well. With all our interest here in hyperdimensional, parallel worlds this show really kept my attention. How this portal to the other side manifested, where and why and all the creepiness that followed. It also reminded me very much of Steven Kings work.

Hey Foxx, I was also reading The Mothman Prophesies at the time I watched this show!

I've discovered that Netflix is making really GOOD shows these days. I've been searching for those titles lately and this is how I found Stranger Things. If anyone likes a good who done it, mystery crime series, The Killing was also really well done.

I'm a fan too, just as Harrison said on a recent Behind the Headlines, of "kid detectives". There is symbolism in being a curious, innocent youngster marveled at the world and not letting acquired beliefs get in the way.

Excellent series, and quite the level of mainstream traction for something dealing with these subjects.

It's no big industry secret that this series was originally titled "Montauk" and it's not a big leap to view it as a fictionalized amalgam of certain elements from Montauk project folklore. If the town it was set in was originally supposed to be Montauk, Long Island, New York rather than a fictional town in Indiana then it's not a big leap to see the creepy Hawkins lab as a stand in for, if not outright Brookhaven National Laboratory, then at least the supposed offshoots from there who participated in the Montauk project. I'm sure it would be priceless to witness the decision-making and influences that went into moving the series from eastern Long Island to Indiana.

It has certainly inspired in me a re-examination of all the Montauk Project/Philadelphia Experiment material. Before focusing more on what was offered at Cassiopaea/Sott it was one of my favorite "conspiracy theories" due to how all-encompassing and outrageous it was. After "Stranger Things" I also viewed the long-awaited Montauk project movie, "Montauk Chronicles" (originally titled Montauk: Unveiled and the release delayed several years so research could be finished, or something). I don't think it breaks any ground with new info but it does offer a decent summary of alleged events for those not familiar. The main interview subjects are all the usual main characters alleged to be major disinfo artists: Al Bielek, Preston Nichols, Steward (spelled Stewart?) Swerdlow; so make of that what you will.

And of course it's got me thinking of the times the C's have vaguely or even somewhat specifically alluded to there being Truth among the disinformation of the Montauk Project/Philadelphia Experiment stories. Has anyone ever complied a listing of the times they mention them? This session from July 31, 1999 has some of the most explicative stuff I could find and I know there are earlier ones with brief mentions:

https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,25692.msg305774.html

Thanks to zin posting the Cass Wiki: Technology entry link in the Pokemon Go thread:
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,42237.msg667358.html#msg667358
I found these entries summarizing the FOTCM position on the Philadelphia Experiment and Montauk Project:
https://thecasswiki.net/index.php?title=Philadelphia_Experiment
https://thecasswiki.net/index.php?title=Montauk_Project
Good summaries but they could use some proofreading and editing. There are several typos such as Newport Mews instead of News, Preston Nickles instead of Nichols, Duncan Cameroon instead of Cameron, etc. The hyperdimensional technology glitches strike again! ;D

Thanks for the heads up, Foxx! I recently discovered Braindead with its hilarious satire about US politics, good direction and script. Decent acting, a quality show, worth watching. Nothing to do with the blockbuster movie Dead Alive (1992).

Topics: Craziness of Trump and Killary, politicians going psycho, FBI torture, insight into the colossal vanity fair / hysterical dog & pony show of US politics. Aliens!

Yep! I gave this one two thumbs up also. I thought the show was really well done in detailing the era and the kids were just great. The story line with references to MKultra and the hyperdimensional window were really cool too. It makes for a whole other world of interesting things to possibly happen. I enjoyed it also and look forward to see how this show plays out.

SPOILER ALERT

I also hope that Eleven isn't dead but I do get the feeling that her sacrifice has somehow transformed her into something else. Hopper heading off with the CIA at the end makes me think he made some deal for the safe return of Will and his mom. What that deal is I guess we'll find out later on however he is the only one (besides Will and his mom) to make it back from that upside down world so maybe that makes him of some value to the Feds, who knows. And Will now spitting up slugs most likely says he's either a host or turning into something himself.

Pete said:
SPOILER ALERT

I also hope that Eleven isn't dead but I do get the feeling that her sacrifice has somehow transformed her into something else. Hopper heading off with the CIA at the end makes me think he made some deal for the safe return of Will and his mom. What that deal is I guess we'll find out later on however he is the only one (besides Will and his mom) to make it back from that upside down world so maybe that makes him of some value to the Feds, who knows. And Will now spitting up slugs most likely says he's either a host or turning into something himself.

I thought it was a great show as well. I really hope El isn't dead either, and it could be that she'll come back but in a different way later. I was also curious about what Hopper was feeding in the woods, and why Will was spitting up slugs. Looking forward to watching where they take these dangling threads!

has just started watching the show, I'm on the third episode, so far is developing very interesting.

This show also has my two thumbs up. was very refreshing to see these themes of dimensions/ monsters played out in a mature way by using the innocence of the children. Also with the Mk Ultra plot i was very interested that they went there. I liked the tension and the buildup to the last episode. I liked all the characters in that they all seemed to have personality. Cast was brilliant, cinematography was also excellently done.
Overall worth a watch if you like x-files, mothman, high strangness stuff!!! :)

Thank you Harrison for mentioning this show on the Truth Perspectives. I binge watched the series.
I love a good scifi detective show. Really well done. It definitely hinted of all the stories surrounding Montauk.
Supposedly, even a large dangerous creature was brought to Long Island through mind/ time travel experiments.??

meta-agnostic said:
Excellent series, and quite the level of mainstream traction for something dealing with these subjects.

It's no big industry secret that this series was originally titled "Montauk" and it's not a big leap to view it as a fictionalized amalgam of certain elements from Montauk project folklore. If the town it was set in was originally supposed to be Montauk, Long Island, New York rather than a fictional town in Indiana then it's not a big leap to see the creepy Hawkins lab as a stand in for, if not outright Brookhaven National Laboratory, then at least the supposed offshoots from there who participated in the Montauk project. I'm sure it would be priceless to witness the decision-making and influences that went into moving the series from eastern Long Island to Indiana.

It has certainly inspired in me a re-examination of all the Montauk Project/Philadelphia Experiment material. Before focusing more on what was offered at Cassiopaea/Sott it was one of my favorite "conspiracy theories" due to how all-encompassing and outrageous it was. After "Stranger Things" I also viewed the long-awaited Montauk project movie, "Montauk Chronicles" (originally titled Montauk: Unveiled and the release delayed several years so research could be finished, or something). I don't think it breaks any ground with new info but it does offer a decent summary of alleged events for those not familiar. The main interview subjects are all the usual main characters alleged to be major disinfo artists: Al Bielek, Preston Nichols, Steward (spelled Stewart?) Swerdlow; so make of that what you will.

And of course it's got me thinking of the times the C's have vaguely or even somewhat specifically alluded to there being Truth among the disinformation of the Montauk Project/Philadelphia Experiment stories. Has anyone ever complied a listing of the times they mention them? This session from July 31, 1999 has some of the most explicative stuff I could find and I know there are earlier ones with brief mentions:

https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,25692.msg305774.html

I kind of found my way to the forum because of the fantastical interviews Project Camelot had with people like Dan Burisch, Branton, Andrew D. Basiago, Bill Wood, Al Beilek and Stewart Swerdlow to name a few. At the time, it was like having the blinders taken off my eyes to high strangeness. It wasn't until I read High Strangeness that I realized how gullible and naive I was on detecting truth from disinformation and cointelpro. I've been fascinated by science fiction since grade school. But it wasn't until much later that I fell down the rabbit hole.

I usually never make it passed initial episode or episodes of a series. Miraculously, I did finish watching this one through. The first 3 episodes were really well done IMO. The later episodes were less engaging for me, but had their fair share of good parts. I think sometimes its hard when you put all these pieces in motion, which episodes 1-3 did expertly, to then allow for their natural movements while at the same time needing to bring them back to rest. So I thought the show suffered for that reason. And although the child actors did make good performances, I was not fond of that infighting and bickering between the group that became a constant.

I could go on to write also, why I liked episodes 1-3 so much, but as it relates to the forum one of my main intrigues was this alternate dimension. Castaneda writes about "inorganic beings" and their realm, which can be accessed through dreams or drug-induced experience, and they will try to lure you back with them. They are a transient entity between their realm and our realm. In Stranger Things, the creature, played a similar role. It was because the child touched it in that meditative state, that the bridge between realities opened up, and it was because she interacted with it in the finale, that I take it the bridge was closed ( although this is not explicitly confirmed ). In Castaneda's account the inorganic being is inexplicably sinister, but also a friend to its prey. It impersonates people you love in your dreams. In waking life, it keeps your awareness at your toes by feeding off your energy. It has an intelligence, but not a human intelligence, and I don't recall it having been designated a physical form.

In the series, I was starting to become unimpressed with our monster. I blame it on the cunning intentions of the writers, since they unveil the thing in increments. When you learn about its origins then you start to understand it is something unique and cool. He directly instructed El to 'touch it' loool, bad idea, wasn't he suppose to be focused on the soviets? One of my grudges against the show was the inanity of the doctor,director,cia fellow. What I did end up appreciating is how the monster was done. For a television series there must be a physical form so that there can be a physical confrontation that includes laid out bear traps, a teenager wildly swinging a spiked club, and if that doesn't work, dozens of agents with automatic weapons firing down on it. I found the form sufficiently frightful even if it wasn't mystically sinister to the par of Castaneda's things. It didn't come into our reality permanently terrorize us either; I liked that. It only came out for quick moments, preferring to live neatly in its own realm. And we see in the finale it was doing something interesting with the humans, It had the boy and the girl hooked up in a curious barbaric laboratory of some nature.

Back
Top Bottom