"Subtle" Advertisement? There are not hiding it anymore.

Keit

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
I really don't know if this topic fit's here, if not - please, moderators, move it to a proper location.

I want to share with you several trully bizzar pictures of some food advertisement campaign in Israel.
It's called: "Big meals for big eyes". They took pictures of female and two men, and inlarged their eyes using photo editor program. The idea itself creative and simple, but take a look at the results.
This is a first photo of the woman:
http://www.allmarketing.co.il/_Uploads/28021.jpg
This is a second of the man (the second and third picture I took today on the main street):
http://hidens.net/images/advertisment/picture2.jpg
Till now they look pretty normal, well maybe the eyes of a man on a second picture look a little like hybrid of cat and human, but this may be just a creative touch ;).

But now take a look at this one:
http://hidens.net/images/advertisment/picture3.jpg
And yes, he has no pupils what so ever. You can try to zoom in or look at this higher resolution version.
http://hidens.net/images/advertisment/picture4.jpg

I suppose that someone in advertisement agency though that it's a brilliant idea, to make this man to look like an alien. But trully, it's creeping me out everytime I take a look at it. :o

My first impression of the pictures is that they could be designed to give out a hypnotic alpha like state in the beholder. Like people would be drawn to want to keep looking at them again and again. The possible intent of them to sell the product that's linked to them.
On a more subtle level, if a load of big dark eyed cuddly grays landed, the impression would be that they must be good guys because the eyes are linked to yummy food in the subconsious.

Personally, the images made me uncomfortable as if I was being looked at as food. The effect is subtly different in each picture. The first phrase that popped into my head was "those of you who are like US, start chowing!". The eyes in the female picture remind me of Spielbergs "ET", while the two males look more predatory.

Very creepy. That company needs to fire their advertising firm if their true intention is to sell a product. If their intention is more subtle and they intend on generating "good will" towards aliens, then perhaps the ads make sense...

Russ said:
In the last pic, the man has brown eyes, and so it looks like he has no pupils.
Be that as it may, the purpose of an ad is to sell the product, and I'll tell ya, this add does away with my appetite. Advertizing firms would not last two seconds if they generated the opposite of the desired effect, and here the effect is not making one want to eat (unless you like creepy crawlies for lunch). So the question remains: what is the desired effect, and why?

In one of my former jobs (working for psychopaths, sigh) I was responsible for approving advertising campaigns. If an advertising firm presented this idea to sell a product, I would have, after getting over my shock and disgust, shown them to the nearest exit. Unless this company has really incompetent people running their advertising, I don’t see how these adds could possibly be intended to actually promote the product. In fact, these ads appear to be damaging to the brand they are promoting. So then, what are they promoting and why damage their image in the process? If there were other cases like this, it could be theorized that there is some sort of generalized “alien awareness” or “alien goodwill” psyops program going on.

If there were other cases like this, it could be theorized that there is some sort of generalized “alien awareness” or “alien goodwill” psyops program going on.
Well, in israel, most of the public doesn't concern themselfs with such idea. There is some sorf of naivitee about those issues. Majority thinks that aliens are total BS, X-files material, or issue that not worth talking about. Another part (mainly New age, and New age movement has a strong signiture in Israel above all others) thinks that they are good and helping aliens. Our friends. Here, take a look at this site of "alien clinic". I don't know if this clinic is still active today, but Adrian Dvir is known and looks like as very disturbed person. http://adriandvir.tripod.com/
But there are many others in New age world, that don't even think to look at this direction that Aliens are not our friends. Most of them have an attitude of Melissa. There is a small percentege of those, who do have an interest in UFO or Aliens, but mainly translating the material from English to Hebrew, and see it as a hobby, an interest in the mysterious. So, actually, Israel have a proper grounds for such manipulation.

Keit said:
Well, in israel, most of the public doesn't concern themselfs with such idea. There is some sorf of naivitee about those issues. Majority thinks that aliens are total BS, X-files material, or issue that not worth talking about.
Actually, in the USA and even in Europe the view of aliens was pretty negative until Spielberg came out with the movie "ET", which showed a cuddly alien with large eyes. On the surface it seems the advertisers want to convey a sense of "hunger" with the large eyes, which starts off almost innocently with the first female, and then moves off into predatory implications.

What the image seems to convey is a temptation to identify with the reptilian predator, as if one is empowered by the "hunger". Perhaps people identify this with aliens, and perhaps it is a subconscious factor in the images. It is almost as if the images are saying "join us or be the object of our hunger", so either your eyes get big and you get the "hunger" too or the predator is looking at YOU as food.

In that sense the campaign may be inadvertantly scaring people to identify with a deep fear or be the victim of it.

Am I the only one here who doesn't think they look particularly predatory or scary, just a bit silly?

Zim, on the left there, is the one you should be fearing, and bowing down to and stuff.

Seriously though, I consider the concept of cultural conditioning through many sources but I'm not particularly convinced about this one.

Yeah, it could all be just silliness. It certainly isn't the type of "humor" that tickles the palate, however. On the other hand, just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you...

Back
Top Bottom