Sunshine

JonnyRadar

The Living Force
from _http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448134/plotsummary

50 years into the future, the Sun begins to die, and Earth is dying as a result. A team of astronauts are sent to revive the Sun - but the mission fails. Seven years later, a new team are sent to finish the mission as they are Earth's last hope.
the science in this film is ridiculous, however the scenery/imagery and a lot of the interactions between the characters are very interesting. basically a team of scientists is sent on a many-year trip to the sun (in a specially shielded craft) in order to drop a nuclear bomb (made of all the fissile material on the planet earth) into it - with the intent of "reviving" the sun's reactive processes... forget what that sounds like for a second, it made me cringe too. to the best of my knowledge the sun would instantly vaporize our entire planet without blinking. not to mention the fact that here's another film where we BOMB all of our problems into oblivion. (armageddon et al...)

what i found interesting is the perspective and sense of scale that's achieved in the film. at the outset, we see the craft at 36 million miles away from the sun, and it looks huge - twenty or thirty times the size of a harvest moon in comparison... cut to a breathtaking scene in which the astronauts watch as mercury passes in front between them and the sun and they slingshot themselves around mercury to continue their trajectory... (they do all this viewing of the sun through a specially filtered window that adjusts itself to prevent their retinas from being burned away...)

the movie is filled with tension (as you'd imagine) and is also quite reminiscent of "event horizon" in it's feel and presentation. the astronauts face death at every turn and are forced to become very cold and calculated in the way they approach their own mortality. their mission is to "save" the human race, and so all else falls behind that goal in priority... a couple of the characters willingly sacrifice themselves "for the mission" - and those scenes are done quite well, with an appropriate amount of contemplation and gravity in considering that they are about to die. i was expecting some crazy high drama but instead got what seemed like a realistic portrayal of how someone would feel about choosing to die. there is also a scene in which one of the crew members becomes suicidal and can no longer function, at which point the crew considers actually killing said crew member so they do not waste their oxygen (all in the interest of completing the mission, of course)

interesting examples of psychopathy and ponerology abound in these small interactions, where people place themselves in higher or lower positions than others, and yet other interesting examples of objective thinking are there as well, where at one point one of the astronauts says (paraphrasing) "this is not a democracy, we are scientists and rational thinkers - we are going to make the most informed decision possible." however, i am still on the fence as to how that statement effects me. it seems as though there are a lot of hidden (and not so hidden) references to the "ultimate purpose" as being the survival of the human race. self importance? futility?

all in all it was an interesting film to watch, though a bit mindless at times, it prompted me to think about the issue of death and how i would face it if it stared me in the face - as well as the complexities of "sacrifice" when taking STS motives into account and not to mention the utter stupidity of thinking that nuking the sun would save it from dying...

(alert! spoiler below)

*********** SPOILER ALERT ***********

my favorite bit though was the end - at the point where the nuke must be launched into a specific range of the sun's magnetic field so it achieves maximum effect. the character of the film who is the physicist on the crew had previously stated that there's a point at which the calculations can no longer be made to project what will happen. he states that the gravitational pull of the sun will distort time and space to the point where the possible variables are infinite, so they have no idea if it will even "hit" the sun. (again, never mind that this thing would have been vaporized like, 10 million miles ago...) well, the physicist is the last one left along with another crew member, and they essentially end up "riding" the nuke down dr. strangelove-style. however when they reach this point of "infinite variables" time essentially stops and they are able to see the surface of the sun directly in front of them as a roaring yet placid lake of fire. other things happen as well which i'll leave out of this spoiler, i think i may have given away too much already...

*********** END SPOILER ALERT ***********

I really liked this film.....although the characters did act a little odd at times (I wondered why they made some of the choices they did)
Perhaps its because they'd been in space so long, and the whole world depended on them?

Some of the 'horror' element reminded me a bit of Event Horizon too...atleast it wasn't a gore fest...reminded me a bit of the guy out of Apocalypse Now...that has to be hunted down.

The end was stunning...

****spoilers****

I guess it was about sacrifice for the greater good....the part where he's stood infront of the sun...and then for his message to get home...shed a few tears over that

***end spoilers***

Sunshine directed by Danny Boyle

I recently watched Sunshine and aside from satisfying my love for sci/fi thriller, I was struck by the underlying message. Spoiler alert...The antagonist in the movie isn't an evil supernatural force, greedy people, or even the cataclysmic force itself but a religious zealot. It points the finger at those who are praying, waiting, looking forward to the end of the world so they can finally be with god and standing in the way of those trying to save themselves through knowledge/technology. There's been a lot of discussion about dominionists/religion on the boards and this movie made me think about the glaring fact that the beliefs of these people lead them to a daily prayer for "Jesus assisted suicide." Anyway, a great movie IHMO.

The first time I caught this film it was about a third of the way through, and being a big sci-fi fan, was determined to see it from the beginning as I was instantly captivated by the plotline and by the dark atmosphere (as in film noir).

The next time I did catch it from the beginning, but was unavoidably called away about halfway through.

The time after that, I caught what felt like a big chunk of the middle, was called away by a phone call, so caught the ending two seconds before the credits started to roll.

Now if ever it happens that I manage to see Sunshine all the way through, which I'm determined to do sooner or later, it'll be inevitable that I view it through JonnyRadar's critique. It's understandable, imo, that I missed the psychopathy, ponerology and religious zealotry aspects to the various character reactions, so I'll be watching out for them, as well as for the other aspects pointed out by JR and Sailing Away.

Good critique, btw. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom