Synthesis motivated by Lethbridge's thoughts

LQB

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
The following is a synthesis motivated by a recent reading of the thoughts of TC Lethbridge.

From TC Lethbridge’s The Power of the Pendulum (pg 3):

“It is easy to say to oneself that there are these two views [Darwinian evolution based in chance circumstance and planned creation] and it really does not matter very much which one is right. What can we do about it anyway? But it does matter, because, if the dogma of chance is established, there is nothing to prevent a rule of complete selfishness and greed overcoming the world. The most ruthless people will come to the top and reign as dictators. The remainder will do what they are told to do. … Yet the theory does corrupt and in the hands of clever men can cause great damage by its influence. …

“To the outside observer neither faith seems to be correct. Somewhere between the two, or perhaps entirely independent of either, there must be a third. Although it may seem a very impertinent quest, I see no valid reason why we should not try to find it. We are provided with a thinking mechanism. Why not use it?"

It seems to me that OPs would be naturally drawn to the Darwinian evolution camp, being OF the earth. And the “dogma of chance” has certainly become well-established. Academia and “science” has certainly played their role in this establishment with the likely manipulative help from 4D STS in the form of “chance” occurrences of the development and promulgation of “supporting” and off-shoot theories. In the absence of a balancing influence from Souled individuals, OPs would become drawn into an infrastructure of control and manipulation designed to quash creative energy expression and strengthen the prison walls surrounding all. Add to this the superior capability of the OP for earth-life operations, and the OP-like existence entrained/programmed in most Souled individuals, and you have what looks like a 3D STS pyramid (in function) with psychopaths (failed OP) at the top, OPs in the middle, and OP-entrained Souled at the bottom – with function being the draining of energy from the bottom, through the middle, and to the top in 4D STS (the actual controller “veiled” at the top of the chain). In this state of affairs, OP-entrained individuals cannot provide enough “balancing” influence to stem the feeding that goes on through the OP (and other channels), and in fact, become willing participating members in this terrifying system. In this sense, the purpose of the Work is to end the entrainment not only for the benefit of the Souled but also for the benefit of the OP. But as long as this pyramid remains dominant, there will be little change.

Recently I have been astounded by the mirroring “OP-like” function (I use “OP-like” here because I do not want to label/judge the person associated with this experience – that judgment remains open here). What I’m referring to here is the capability to draw on high level concepts (of spiritual/esoteric nature), and connect these concepts in seeming and apparent understanding, with very little reflection of this “understanding” in the functions and actions in that individual’s life. In other words, the dynamic range between the words and apparent understanding and the resulting fruits in life action is massive. This comes to me “after long careful observation” devoid of wishful thinking that so often interferes. This has underlined for me the firm need to objectively discern the fruits through careful observation with constant vigilance for the “cheap trick” of wishful thinking. I think this last statement has a very broad application. What this extended experience has also brought home for me (and reflected in the last statement of the above paragraph) is the likelihood that direct work with the individual OP will not produce substantial change – that substantial change can only be brought about by dismantling the pyramid mentioned above – and that is our Work (in the full meaning given by Ouspensky/Gurdjieff/Mouravieff).

LQB said:
Recently I have been astounded by the mirroring “OP-like” function (I use “OP-like” here because I do not want to label/judge the person associated with this experience – that judgment remains open here). What I’m referring to here is the capability to draw on high level concepts (of spiritual/esoteric nature), and connect these concepts in seeming and apparent understanding, with very little reflection of this “understanding” in the functions and actions in that individual’s life. In other words, the dynamic range between the words and apparent understanding and the resulting fruits in life action is massive. This comes to me “after long careful observation” devoid of wishful thinking that so often interferes. This has underlined for me the firm need to objectively discern the fruits through careful observation with constant vigilance for the “cheap trick” of wishful thinking.

I think you might be missing the part of the puzzle that entails the fact that we cannot trust our own perceptions - of anything. This is why getting input from others is so important. In other words, you think that you have been vigilant about 'wishful thinking' - yet, you also seem quite sure about these conclusions you've reached, which indicates that you are not questioning your own thinking, which makes it almost certain that 'wishful thinking' is necessarily part of the equation.

lbq said:
I think this last statement has a very broad application. What this extended experience has also brought home for me (and reflected in the last statement of the above paragraph) is the likelihood that direct work with the individual OP will not produce substantial change – that substantial change can only be brought about by dismantling the pyramid mentioned above – and that is our Work (in the full meaning given by Ouspensky/Gurdjieff/Mouravieff).

It appears that you are attempting to focus the effort outside of yourself and that is the opposite of the 'full meaning of the Work' - the Work is wholly internal, because who and what we are are the only things we can change. From that, many things may follow and be expressed in our reality, but to assume that the 'full meaning of the Work' has anything to do with 'dismantling the pyramid', with affecting change outside ourselves or 'to' others or even to 'how this world works', is to miss the crux of the matter completely. Before one can 'Do' anything, one must 'Be' and THAT is the full meaning of the Work - everything else follows, but the monumental difficulty of such a task cannot be overstated.

anart said:
I think you might be missing the part of the puzzle that entails the fact that we cannot trust our own perceptions - of anything. This is why getting input from others is so important. In other words, you think that you have been vigilant about 'wishful thinking' - yet, you also seem quite sure about these conclusions you've reached, which indicates that you are not questioning your own thinking, which makes it almost certain that 'wishful thinking' is necessarily part of the equation.
Thanks anart. That may be true at this point in time, but I think it was wishful thinking that kept me from seeing the described for so long (and I didn't explain the time frame or other details). I assumed that the mirroring was genuine and hoped for the best for a long time, and reviewing the time, I did cover over things in favor of more original/early impressions. This is something I recognize as a pseudo-habitual behavior that has lead me into situations difficult to deal with (in one recent case with true psychopaths). The early impression followed up with assumptions (wishful thinking) leading to wrong actions get rewarded consistently here.

anart said:
It appears that you are attempting to focus the effort outside of yourself and that is the opposite of the 'full meaning of the Work' - the Work is wholly internal, because who and what we are are the only things we can change. From that, many things may follow and be expressed in our reality, but to assume that the 'full meaning of the Work' has anything to do with 'dismantling the pyramid', with affecting change outside ourselves or 'to' others or even to 'how this world works', is to miss the crux of the matter completely. Before one can 'Do' anything, one must 'Be' and THAT is the full meaning of the Work - everything else follows, but the monumental difficulty of such a task cannot be overstated.

I was not clear here. When I said, in the full meaning given by ..., I assumed that it would be understood that the only way to dismantle the pyramid is through the internal Work - not any external effort to change conditions or things. The goal indeed is internal - not external. I assumed that this re-direction would be understood. Once re-directed, the goal becomes the Work, the pyramid will take care if itself. I'll try to be more clear in the future. I remember reading many years ago in a book “I Am That” by Nisargadatta Maharaj, about encounters with young American seekers of the ’60’s/ ‘70s who were desperately looking for direction on how to go about changing the world. His response was to point inward with words describing where the change had to originate before thinking about changing the world. That exchange had a major impact on me so many years ago.

LQB said:
Thanks anart. That may be true at this point in time, but I think it was wishful thinking that kept me from seeing the described for so long (and I didn't explain the time frame or other details). I assumed that the mirroring was genuine and hoped for the best for a long time, and reviewing the time, I did cover over things in favor of more original/early impressions. This is something I recognize as a pseudo-habitual behavior that has lead me into situations difficult to deal with (in one recent case with true psychopaths). The early impression followed up with assumptions (wishful thinking) leading to wrong actions get rewarded consistently here.

Sorry, but ya lost me here. It's difficult to make connections in what you're saying because there seems a weak frame of reference.

LQB said:
I was not clear here. When I said, in the full meaning given by ..., I assumed that it would be understood that the only way to dismantle the pyramid is through the internal Work - not any external effort to change conditions or things. The goal indeed is internal - not external. I assumed that this re-direction would be understood. Once re-directed, the goal becomes the Work, the pyramid will take care if itself. I'll try to be more clear in the future.

'Dismantling the pyramid' through 'internal work' is still not the same as The Work. It's still a focus on changing the control system. Seems like your just changing words around but they still have the same meaning.

LQB said:
I remember reading many years ago in a book “I Am That” by Nisargadatta Maharaj, about encounters with young American seekers of the ’60’s/ ‘70s who were desperately looking for direction on how to go about changing the world. His response was to point inward with words describing where the change had to originate before thinking about changing the world. That exchange had a major impact on me so many years ago.

You may be interested in this thread: "i am that" by sri nisargadatta maharaj

Los said:
LQB said:

Sorry, but ya lost me here. It's difficult to make connections in what you're saying because there seems a weak frame of reference.

In other words I may be making the same mistake at the other end of the issue.

Los said:
LQB said:
I was not clear here. When I said, in the full meaning given by ..., I assumed that it would be understood that the only way to dismantle the pyramid is through the internal Work - not any external effort to change conditions or things. The goal indeed is internal - not external. I assumed that this re-direction would be understood. Once re-directed, the goal becomes the Work, the pyramid will take care if itself. I'll try to be more clear in the future.

'Dismantling the pyramid' through 'internal work' is still not the same as The Work. It's still a focus on changing the control system. Seems like your just changing words around but they still have the same meaning.

Thanks - I agree - this is incorrect. What brings one to the Work is not related to the Work.

Los said:
LQB said:
I remember reading many years ago in a book “I Am That” by Nisargadatta Maharaj, about encounters with young American seekers of the ’60’s/ ‘70s who were desperately looking for direction on how to go about changing the world. His response was to point inward with words describing where the change had to originate before thinking about changing the world. That exchange had a major impact on me so many years ago.

You may be interested in this thread: "i am that" by sri nisargadatta maharaj
Thanks for the link - I'll check it out.

Back
Top Bottom