Tattva, Sanskrit and Mantra - any comment please

jordifs

Jedi
The introduction:

I recently meet a person that have some knoweldge in Reiki. My intention: to ask him to be my teacher. Shockingly he demystified Reiki and put my initial interest apart. He surprised me with his knowledge in:
1.- Sanskrit
He addressed me to a location where a person once per week teach Sanskrit for free (in Barcelona, Spain). He also told me about "Mantra", translated from Sanskrit somewhat like 'mind' and 'liberation'. He told me that some experts in Sanskrit are also afraid of pronunciating some specific Mantra in Sanskrit. The reason is because of the severe consequences of doing it.

2.- Tattva (Tattwa, in Spanish)
Link: _http: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tattva

I started researching and found interesting books. The same site I found also provides other PDF books free-to-download. Some from "George Gurdjieff". I inform you because all the books I checked are in Spanish language (this ease the reading for some Spanish members).
Link: _http: upasika.com/index.html

The questions:
I cannot find any forum post about this concept: "Tattva".
Two people I met ensured me that this works. Both of them told me that is so weird that they do not understand. They also said to me to be so powerful that both are afraid of performing some experiments with this Tattva items. For instance putting some in the head while sleeping. One of them use the demon/devil Tattva with his head and had severe nightmares (unforgettable).

Please, can anyone support me with your personal experience or knowledge in this issue.
¿Is it dangerous?
As I see, ¿is this a practical way of manipulating unseen energies to channel them with a specific goal?
And the most important: is this compatible with a STO essence or just a STS oriented practice (ritual).

Much appreciated any comments.

Yours,
Jordi

I came across this article about a phenomenon called "Sanskrit Effect"

Sanskrit Effect The Traditional Memory Booster​

• Sanskrit Mantras improve various cognitive functions, including memory, verbal and spatial reasoning, and overall brain function.
  • MRI scans show that memorizing ancient mantras increases the size of brain regions associated with cognitive function
  • The "Sanskrit effect" refers to the cognitive benefits associated with learning Sanskrit, an ancient Indo-European language of India.
  • This effect is attributed to the complex grammar and structure of Sanskrit, which requires precise attention and analysis, thereby exercising and stimulating the brain.
  • Additionally, Sanskrit texts are rich in philosophical, spiritual, and scientific knowledge, providing further mental stimulation and potential benefits.

The Sanskrit Effect reported by one Dr James Hartzell in the Journal Scientific American. This neuroscientist has coined the term “The Sanskrit effect.”

He writes that memorizing Vedic mantras increases the size of brain regions associated with cognitive function such as memory (both short-term and long-term)

He writes in his report that Indian tradition holds that rigorously memorizing and reciting mantras enhances memory and thinking. In order to test this idea, Hartzell (and his colleagues from the University of Trento in Italy) teamed up with Dr Tanmay Nath and Dr Nandini Chatterjee Singh of the National Brain Research Centre (NBRC) at Manesar in Haryana.

They chose to study 42 volunteers, 21 professionally qualified Sanskrit Pandits (aged around 22) who have been trained full-time daily for 7 years (total of over 10,000 hrs) in their childhood reciting the Shukla Yajurveda.

These Pandits were recruited from Vedic Pandit schools in Delhi. As control, they chose 21 age-matched males, students from a nearby college.

The brains of all the 42 participants were examined using the method called structural magnetic resonance (MR), with the magnetic resonance imaging instrument at NBRC.

This method allows the study of the size and shape of individual parts of brain. The so-called grey matter (GM) of the brain is a region full of neuronal cells, and contains areas involved in muscle control, sensory perception, memory, emotions, speech and decision making, and connected it to it is white matter (WM) bundles of nerve cells that carry signals to GM.

The hippocampus is a small organ located within the central region of the brain, and it registers and regulates emotions associated with memory (particularly long-term memory) and has front and back sections. The back part appears associated with better memory and supports recollection of memory. and the cortex, which is the outermost layer surrounding the brain (essentially a cover or envelope), with its tightly packed nerve cells, is responsible for higher thought processes such as decision making.

The Indo-Italian team analysed the brain regions of the 21 Pandits and 21 control volunteers and found some remarkable differences between the two. They found the grey matter in Pandits to be denser and the cortex thicker than in ‘controls’, and the hippocampus regions, associated with long- and short-term memory was more pronounced.

Indeed, a similar experiment, again using Vedic Pandits (this time in Houston, TX, USA), was done earlier by Dr Giridhar Kalamangalam and T. M. Ellmore (accessible free in Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, 2014 Oct 20), and they too noted thicker cortex in the Pandits than in controls.

Importantly, these changes in the brain are not temporary but stay for long. That means that the power of memory, decision making, sensory perception and such would last longer in those who were trained earlier.

Based on these many countries are incorporating Sanskrit Chanting in School curriculum.

Whether the sampling size is sufficient or not, in my personnel observation there is some thing to it.

In my high school, I used to have LOT of brahmin friends and they can remember the school book content perfectly whether they understood the content or not. I don't mean they educated in Sanskrit. I think it is genetic as Brahmins by "profession" (for millennia) as priests and intellectuals trained in Sanskrit and most probably practiced daily. That doesn't mean they are rich in relative comparison.

When the "education" became important (or common man adopted as basic essential) in 19th century (first in Europe and later in India), Indian version of education relied on memorization. For the last couple of decades, there was heavy criticism about Indian education system's reliance on memorization instead of practical skills. No need to say this becomes subject political biases.

Well, I am not sure about the science of Tattvas and their effectiveness. Mostly I am aware of Panch Tattvas i.e. Air, Water, Fire. Earth and Spirit which combine to create all elements. There might be something to it or not as whatever informatiom that remains is likely distorted and fragmented.

For Mantras, yes, when recited in Sanskrit and from my own experience too, they do have a certain calming power about them. It could be the way Sanskrit is spoken and being an ancient language, its bound to be more technically correct and appeal to higher emotional centres.

Either way, I’d tread with caution and focus on getting Reiki, not sanskrit lessons. There is nothing ground-breaking to be revealed or obtained from sanskrit as things stand today. Hope that made sense.

To my recollection the origin of the, if you will , religious culture, in india dates back to the tradition ( but don't they all ) , so maybe there's still some of it left in such practice , however fragmentary though .

C' said in one of the session that there is combination of word/sounds that you can pronounce and that it is unwisely for us to be mesing with this. Their words

( "Are there words of power that invoke energies by their pronunciation?
A: Maybe.
Q: Could you tell us any of them?
A: No. You might use unwisely.)

...but I dont know if it was sanskrit

Reiki is probably one source for such words , osit , at least if one sticks to the original teachings , there's of course a langue barrier though , but may give insights if looking for such words.

Back
Top Bottom