The Dream of Scipio by Iain Pears

Mr. Premise

The Living Force
Here's another historical novel I read recently, The Dream of Scipio by Iain Pears. I thought it was pretty good. It is set in three time periods in Southern France: the fifth century, the fourteenth century and the WWII period of the twentieth century. All three were period of severe crisis and collapse. The main characters are three sets of polar couples who seem to be the same, yet reincarnated in the different times. Neoplatonism is the connecting thread.

Pears does an excellent job, IMHO, of depicting late Antique Gaul at the time of the fall of the western Roman empire. Not an easy task.

The 14th century part takes place just before and during the Black Death.

There is also a chilling portrait of France during the "strange defeat" to the Germans in World War II.

It's relevance here has to do with how people with damaged souls yet who have consciences try to make concience-based decisions ("moral" vs. "paramoral"?) in times of civilizational collapse. Some choose well and others don't.

This sounds like the idea behind Darren Aranofsky's (the guy who made Requiem for a Dream, and Pi) new movie, The Fountain. Check out the trailer: http://pdl.warnerbros.com/wbmovies/thefountain/flashsite/index.html
It seems to be follow the 'three time-lines' structure w/ a polar pair. I, personally, cannot wait until this movie is released.

DonaldJHunt said:
Here's another historical novel I read recently, The Dream of Scipio by Iain Pears.

It's relevance here has to do with how people with damaged souls yet who have consciences try to make concience-based decisions ("moral" vs. "paramoral"?) in times of civilizational collapse. Some choose well and others don't.
Thanks for the recommendation. I picked up a copy at the library yesterday and look forward to reading it.

Lucy

Back
Top Bottom