The Gary Sudbrink calls

Cleo

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I wonder if others here have heard of the Gary Sudbrink calls. I did a search but nothing came up about it here on the forum. I watched the following video on the topic the other day:
On February 8, 1993, a mysterious caller phoned Gary Sudbrink. The cryptic and looping messages left by this caller have never been deciphered, their true meaning and purpose is an unsolved mystery. These four disturbing phone calls total nearly 15 minutes, and they are some of the most uncanny and unnerving calls. They lead to a conspiracy far deeper than could ever have been imagined.

Gary Sudbrink was an Air Force Captain in the early 1990s. He was stationed in San Antonio Texas, and one weekend, he decided to make a surprise visit to his family in Long Island. Upon his arrival, he received the first phone call from the mysterious caller. This caller spoke in strange phrases, and it knew far more than it should.

The mysterious caller would phone three times that night and a fourth call would occur the next day. Bill and Tom Sudbrink, Gary's uncle and father, would interrogate the voice, claiming to have experienced previous extraterrestrial phenomenon. Strangely, the messages from the voice would become increasingly celestial, referring to Orion and the full moon. He gave warnings of government interference, doppelgängers, and more.

Since their release, the Gary Sudbrink calls have been one of the most unexplored internet mysteries. This video contains the audio recordings of all four calls, remastered through equalization and denoising to enhance clarity.
Some have suggested these calls were pranks perpetrated by Sudbrink, his family, or someone close to them. Through audio examination and historical investigation, we examine these theories. However, one additional theory remains: that these calls are an attempt at telecommunication with something unknown. Some have even suggested that these calls are from the Men in Black.

The phrase Men in Black was popularized by John Keel in the 1960s. It referred to officials who visited individuals who had experience extraterrestrial phenomenon to discourage discussion and seize evidence. These individuals were described as robotic and uncanny, and they often spoke in distorted and cryptic speech, especially over the phone.What was the purpose of the calls to Gary Sudbrink the early 1990s, and what message was trying to be conveyed?

0:00 - Introduction
3:00 - Call 1
7:30 - Call 2
12:00 - Call 3
16:03 - Call 4
21:22 - Theories
The calls are creepy. Seems like the majority of the people in the video's comments section think the calls are a hoax/prank. I recommend reading some of the comments just for the comic relief as some are pretty funny (welcome the comic relief on a topic so strange).

The above video description mentions John Keel and the suggestion by some that the calls are from the MIB. Related to this, when I first heard the calls (I watched the video before I read the above description so going in I didn't know much of anything about it) I thought of the MIB type calls that John Keel received during the Mothman encounters. In the theories section of the video, they also mention an incident referred to as The 1992 Southaven Park UFO crash and the link between this incident and the calls. First time I'd heard of this incident as well. Anyway, interested to hear others thoughts and/or theories on the matter.

Right of the bet there are a number of things that make me suspicious, among which is the very good sound quality of the man speaking, which might mean that it wasn't recorded in 1992 but way later. Also a number of inconsistencies in the story itself coupled with inconsistencies during the call itself make me suspicious. Also, the language the caller is using (not that of "the alien") gives off a vibe of it having been recorded much later in time for me, more towards our era and not way back in 1992. For those reasons, I stopped listening and consider it likely to be a fake.

I wonder if others here have heard of the Gary Sudbrink calls. I did a search but nothing came up about it here on the forum. I watched the following video on the topic the other day:

The calls are creepy. Seems like the majority of the people in the video's comments section think the calls are a hoax/prank. I recommend reading some of the comments just for the comic relief as some are pretty funny (welcome the comic relief on a topic so strange).

The above video description mentions John Keel and the suggestion by some that the calls are from the MIB. Related to this, when I first heard the calls (I watched the video before I read the above description so going in I didn't know much of anything about it) I thought of the MIB type calls that John Keel received during the Mothman encounters. In the theories section of the video, they also mention an incident referred to as The 1992 Southaven Park UFO crash and the link between this incident and the calls. First time I'd heard of this incident as well. Anyway, interested to hear others thoughts and/or theories on the matter.

A co-worker of mine is really into this mystery and played me a few of the phone calls a month ago. They are weird and creepy. Some of the co-incidences are really out there. If it is a prank or a hoax, it's pretty elaborate and doesn't seem to have a point. What's to gain? Ridicule mostly. It's not like MSM picked this story up and made the family big stars. It seemingly caused stress and fear in their lives. IMO, pranksters rarely have this much sophistication.

That being said, there are so many OCD, bizarre and toxic internal family relationships that I could see this happening from that source - if there's a back story with one member of the family that this kind of behaviour fits with.

I'm on the fence with this. There's some really compelling weirdness - and at a time when these events were as "public" as now. In terms many of these events from the pre-Social Media World, I try to look at when they emerge and what their primary source is. I did a quick look, but couldn't find when the Subrink Mystery was first publicly mentioned. I know it's not new, but if it showed up in NUFORC, OMNI or MUFON at some point before 2000, I'd tend to give it more credence.

things that make me suspicious, among which is the very good sound quality of the man speaking, which might mean that it wasn't recorded in 1992 but way later.

Maybe you missed it but there was an explanation given for that like this:

This video contains the audio recordings of all four calls, remastered through equalization and de-noising to enhance clarity.

I did a quick look, but couldn't find when the Subrink Mystery was first publicly mentioned. I know it's not new, but if it showed up in NUFORC, OMNI or MUFON at some point before 2000, I'd tend to give it more credence.
I recently listened to an interview with Gary Sudbrink from 2020. In the following podcast show he discusses the calls and how they got out to the public:

Apparently Linda Moulton Howe presented the calls during an episode of the Art Bell show Dreamland after his father contacted her about them. I think this episode aired around a year after the calls but I could be wrong on that.

After the Art Bell show he says he didn’t bring it up again till he spoke to Susan Swiatek, State Director of MUFON Virginia. She got interested and told Justin Bamforth and that’s how it got out in the open again..I looked up info on Justin Bamforth and he is the author of the book, Spectrum: Glimpses of the Paranormal and Encounters with the Strange.

I tried to locate the Dreamland episode but I don’t know the exact airdate.

Back
Top Bottom