The Mothman Prophecies by John Keel (the book)

RyanX

The Living Force
I just wanted to mention that I finished reading Keel's book The Mothman Prophecies last night. I had read three of his other books half a year ago (Operation Trojan Horse, Eighth Tower, Disneyland of the Gods). While these later three books do an excellent job describing Keel's more refined theories on what the ufo and high strangeness phenomena represent, The Mothman Prophecies is more of the microcosmic of his experiences in Point Pleasant WV leading up to the Silver Bridge collapse, and all the related events and phenomena (of which there is a lot!) The events and happenings Keel relates in The Mothman Prophcies are largely out of sequence, but more coherent in terms of the phenomena he describes. For instance, Keel might write in one part about problems with hearing strange beeps like Morse code on the phone and then jump to another time and place where another contactee experienced similar phenomena. So, the book jumps around a lot. Despite this I still found the book an engaging read. It's also balanced with a good deal of outlandish situational humor that Keel seems to be the butt of in his dealings with certain hyperdimensional tricksters. Overall the book gives the impression of a man struggling with a constantly shifting reality as well as his own internal struggles to not fall into any particular belief system. If you've read the second-to-last chapter in Operation Trojan Horse called "Breakthrough!", much of The Mothman Prophcies is an elaboration of the events described here.

When comparing the movie The Mothman Prophecies side-by-side with the book, there is not much similarity in terms of the storyline and only a vague similarity in terms of the actual characters. It appears that the movie was created with a certain level of Hollywood myth-making in mind, since most of the personal events portrayed in the movie, never actually happened. For instance, Keel (or Klein -- his movie name) was never married and he never worked for the Washington Post. Also, the lady, Laura Linney in the movie was not a cop, but a newspaper reporter named Mary Hyre in the book. The paranoid contactee, Gordon Smallfoot, in the movie also seems to be a composite character representing a number of contactees that Keel was dealing with at the time at Point Pleasant. The character Klein is much less sophisticated in his reasoning and methods than Keel appeared in his books. So, there are obviously some significant character and storyline differences between the book and movie.

However, the movie does do a good job of capturing some of the high strangeness phenomena that Keel elaborates on in more detail in his book. Missing time, strange phone calls, calls from 'non-persons', swollen eyes, bleeding ears, prophecies by certain entities, and prophetic dreams. Sadly, this phenomena in the movie is spun in a typical psychological horror movie fashion with the Mothman at the center, while in the book, Keel speculates that the Mothman sightings were primarily a diversion when compared to the totality of strange events happening in Point Pleasant (and elsewhere) at the time. The movie, sadly, does not tie in the connection between the paranormal phenomena and the ufo sightings, MIB reports (there were tons of these), cattle and other animal mutilations going on at the time. This is unfortunate, but understandable considering this would crush a lot of popular memes about Aliens, Ghosts, Monsters and the like. Such reasoning as Keel used is still largely unpopular among UFO and paranormal investigators alike.

Overall, The Mothman Prophecies reads like a case study centered around a particular time frame with the Silver Bridge collapse in Point Pleasant as the climax at the center. It is much more of a personal account by Keel than any of the other three books mentioned above. Keel was personally acquainted with several of the people who perished in the bridge collapse and many of these individuals he had interviewed due to their experiences with high strangeness. Keel also notes that many of the other significant contactees and other players in the events he recounts met untimely deaths after the bridge collapse anyways including the star newspaper reporter Mary Hyre.

In my own ponderings with what I've read in Laura's books and the C's transcripts, I wonder if the events surrounding Point Pleasant at the time would be a good example of 4D bleed through event on a large scale. Could something like these events in The Mothman Prophecies be similar to what the C's give as a description of what might happen when parts of the planet start to go into 4D? Reading the book gives one the impression of a people submerged in a dangerous and confusing new reality, kind of like a fish who suddenly finds itself out of water.

I noticed that this book is not on the recommended list while the other Keel books, which are largely out of print, are on the list. It seems that the movie has largely propelled copies of The Mothman Prophecies book into many bookstores, making it easy to find today (at least where I live, anyways). I would suggest that if you can find a copy of this book, get it before the mystique over the movie wears off and people forget all about it. Just my $0.02

Very good review Ryan, I have to concur on all points about the book and the movie. You expanded greatly on my own thoughts on the differences between the two, which I posted here. I think the main reason the book isn't on the recommended reading list is because it is so focused like you point out above. The rest of Keel's books have a more of a historical perspective over time instead of a discussion on a singular event and all that transpired before and after it occurred.

Thanks for that interesting review, Ryan.

RyanX said:
Could something like these events in The Mothman Prophecies be similar to what the C's give as a description of what might happen when parts of the planet start to go into 4D? Reading the book gives one the impression of a people submerged in a dangerous and confusing new reality, kind of like a fish who suddenly finds itself out of water.

Lately, I've been wondering about that kind of thing too. I've been watching my driving and my rear-view mirror a lot more lately since reading about the mysterious accidents involving vehicles that seemed to have come out of nowhere. :)

Heimdallr said:
Very good review Ryan, I have to concur on all points about the book and the movie. You expanded greatly on my own thoughts on the differences between the two, which I posted here. I think the main reason the book isn't on the recommended reading list is because it is so focused like you point out above. The rest of Keel's books have a more of a historical perspective over time instead of a discussion on a singular event and all that transpired before and after it occurred.

Heimdallr,

Thank you. I agree with what you've written as well. It seems that the book itself would have fit better into a documentary format, so adding a little Hollywood spice was necessary. But like I said, I think the movie covered the high strangeness aspect really well, even though they failed in the overall interpretation that Keel was trying to convey in the book. Actually, I think reading OTH first clarified some things for me when reading The Mothman Prophecies since I already got the gist of what Keel was trying to say.

That makes sense why his other books like OTH were chosen over The Mothman Prophecies. Really, one could look at The Mothman Prophecies as being a 120 some page elaboration of that chapter "Breakthrough!" in OTH. I think the book would be a good one to read directly after OTH.

Bud said:
Thanks for that interesting review, Ryan.

RyanX said:
Could something like these events in The Mothman Prophecies be similar to what the C's give as a description of what might happen when parts of the planet start to go into 4D? Reading the book gives one the impression of a people submerged in a dangerous and confusing new reality, kind of like a fish who suddenly finds itself out of water.

Lately, I've been wondering about that kind of thing too. I've been watching my driving and my rear-view mirror a lot more lately since reading about the mysterious accidents involving vehicles that seemed to have come out of nowhere. :)

Bud,

Keel devotes some space to discussing phantom cars and car chases. It seems that he was directly involved in some of these. The phantom cars seem synonymous with the whole MIB phenomena. Most of these cars were older vehicles in top condition with license plates that didn't officially exist in the gov records. Sometimes these vehicles would just disappear mysteriously around a turn. He even discusses phantom buildings and other objects in addition to the numerous phantom flying objects.

Hi Ryan,

I was wondering if you've ever read Operation: Mind Control by Walter Bowart? If you have, would you consider doing a book review for a Sott piece? The thread is here:

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=534.0

truth seeker said:
Hi Ryan,

I was wondering if you've ever read Operation: Mind Control by Walter Bowart? If you have, would you consider doing a book review for a Sott piece? The thread is here:

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=534.0

truth seeker,

I haven't read that one. It looks like kind of a rare book. I'll ask the library tomorrow if they can find me a copy on loan from somewhere. If I can find a copy, and if you guys can wait a couple weeks, I can probably write something up.

Since you brought up the subject of mind control, Keel writes extensively on mind control as a factor with certain cases with contactees. Although he mentions the various human to human mind control manifestations, his focus is more on the pheneoma's (4D, perhaps?) use of these same mind control techniques with contactees. Keel seemed to be somewhat baffled by the sheer number of random people who had no connection to him who would just call him and harass him out of the blue, or write him bizarre letters. At one point, he relates this:

[quote author=John Keel - The Mothman Prophecies p105-106]
A contactee may feel a sudden impulse to go for a pointless late-night walk or
drive. During that drive he encounters, he thinks, the space people and has a
fine visit with them. Actually his body proceeds on to, say, Point A where he
picks up a letter or object left there by another contactee. He carries the
letter or object to Point B and deposits it. Later he has no memory of these
actions.
Meanwhile some poor slob with the wrong aura, like myself, receives a
phone call advising him to proceed to Point B where he will find something left
for him by the space people. In short, all physical evidence and manifestations
are produced by human beings. They dig holes in fields, rifle mailboxes, and who
knows what else.

These games have been going on since forever.

I have received thousands of letters from contactees since 1967, many of them
filled with glowing praise for their contacters, other pathetic and touched with
terror. One of the first letters arrived unexpectedly in the summer of 1967 from
an elderly man in New England.

"I found your name and address on a slip of paper dropped onto my kitchen floor
by an 'Indian-like' friend," he wrote. "If this letter is not returned to me I
will no [sic] you received it ... I wish I could tell you how my life has been
taken over & what condition our country & government are in. If you have been
through the 'misery' you no [sic] you are not alone. I am not a nut. I am
sincere. I am concerned for you ....

"P.S. I have been 'used'!"

This letter, and others like them, helped to convince me that my own
investigations could be manipulated. I was being led to people and cases to
support whatever theory I was working on at the time
. I tested this by inventing
some rather outlandish ideas. Within days I would receive phone calls, reports,
and mail describing elements of those ideas. This was the feedback or reflective
effect. Other investigators concerned with solving problems such as how flying
saucers are propelled have automatically been fed, or led into, cases in which
the witnesses supposedly viewed the interiors of the objects and saw things
which confirmed the investigators' theories.
[/quote]

This is something in Dolan's case, since he seems to be stuck on the idea of "disclosure". How much of this is just feedback (as Keel calls it) for Dolan?

I don't mean to single out Dolan too much since just about every ufo book I've read (aside from High Strangeness and Keel's work) tends to focus on one particular theory or aspect of the phenomena, instead of looking at the big picture.

I apologize for taking the thread off track but I figured I'd ask. It would be great if you decide to do it. Don't feel obligated. :)

RyanX said:
This is something in Dolan's case, since he seems to be stuck on the idea of "disclosure". How much of this is just feedback (as Keel calls it) for Dolan?

I don't mean to single out Dolan too much since just about every ufo book I've read (aside from High Strangeness and Keel's work) tends to focus on one particular theory or aspect of the phenomena, instead of looking at the big picture.

Yes, it's this point in particular that makes me question Dolan's work as well. The inability to recognize being duped. I'd like to think that anyone who has experienced any high strangeness would, after a period of time, realize that "something" was making fun of them at their expense. Perhaps this is where ego comes in in terms of the differing of one person's interpretation from another.

At this point, I also believe that on some level that Dolan is enamored with the idea of being "the one" to break the news. He may have even been "told" so in some way (via dreams or someone vectoring him).

I saw this today. Apparently this book contains some previously unpublished work of Keel.

_http://www.ufomystic.com/2011/01/14/mothman-returns/

Mothman Returns

Mothman, good news! The new book from Andy Colvin – who, arguably more than anyone else – is keeping the flame of Mothman alive – is now available. Titled The Mothman Speaks, it is, like all of Andy’s previous books on the subject, a huge one, running at almost 500 pages.

I’ll be reviewing the book as soon as I have read it. Meanwhile, here’s the product data on the book:

Spurred by the realization that the 9/11 attacks were accurately predicted – in 1967 – by a childhood friend who was seeing Mothman, Seattle artist Andy Colvin began filming a reality series, The Mothman’s Photographer, documenting his experiences growing up in West Virginia. The Mothman Speaks chronicles the thoughts and feelings of several Mothman experiencers in the years immediately after the attacks. These revealing letters, penned during a wave of odd synchronicities, sightings, and encounters, indicate that Mothman may be a guardian angel of mind-bending proportions. Increasingly, the Mothman events look to be as important and miraculous as the famous events at Fatima. Interwoven with these personal diaries are discussions between Colvin and other witnesses and experts that reach back into the mysterious history of the Ohio Valley, giving a fuller context for the phenomenon. Colvin also tracks the relationship between the paranormal and the media – how the two seemingly work together to help form public opinion and belief. Also included is a chapter featuring previously unpublished material from the late John Keel, author of “The Mothman Prophecies.” “A great paranormal/conspiracy thriller…” -Lesley Gunter, The Debris Field “Many enlightened truths, all converging…” -Dreamers Online “Really enjoyable…” -Karyn Dolan, Through the Keyhole “The best conspiracy going…” -Harriet Plumbrook “Fantastic! Should be in everyone’s Paranormal Top Ten…” -Regan Lee, UFO Digest “All-encompassing… The most important new development in the study of the Mothman entity.” -James Smith, TheMothman.org “Until I read Andy’s work, I had no idea of the scope of this experience…” -Walter Bosley, Latitude 33 “A breakthrough in how we perceive the mysterious…” -Greg Bishop, UFO Mystic “It’s too bad we all don’t go through this kind of learning process…” -John Keel

In the 1960s, on a West Virginia backroad, Andy Colvin and his family and friends had encounters with the supernatural birdman popularly known as Mothman. Following those encounters, Colvin found that he could draw, sing, and take photographs, and that he had a photographic memory. Colvin was quickly recognized as a prodigy, and was eventually offered a National Merit scholarship to Harvard University in 1977. While attending graduate school at the Univ. of Texas at Austin, Colvin helped found U.T.’s Transmedia Dept. and the Austin Film Society, an organization now credited with bringing commercial filmmaking to Texas. In 1985, Colvin used his tuition grant money to purchase the only 8mm camcorder then available, becoming the first filmmaker in Austin to shoot in the new format. His documentation of the lives of Austin “slackers” influenced the seminal cult hit that defined Generation X, “Slacker” – a project for which Colvin helped raise funds and equipment. Colvin’s band, Ed Hall, appeared in the film and on the soundtrack. Colvin also influenced the soundtrack of another breakthrough film, “El Mariachi,” which effectively redefined how independent films are made. Following graduate school, Colvin worked on Hollywood films, toured with his experimental performance troupe, The Interdimensional Vortex League (once named America’s “most underground band” by Europe’s hip arts magazine, “Blitz“), and began making small, ethnographic documentaries about unusual tribes, subcultures, and personalities. His 25-year study of modern Texans, Multislack, is due out in 2012. Colvin’s work has been seen or heard in all 50 states, and in several foreign countries. His writing has been featured in various magazines, including D’Art, the arts journal for the Church of the Subgenius. Colvin’s unique career has been studded with various mind-blowing, synchronistic events, some of which allowed him to study with, or somehow collaborate with, some of the greatest creative minds of the 20th Century, including Nam June Paik, Lee Friedlander, Keith Haring, Dennis Hopper, David Lynch, Robert Anton Wilson, Laurie Anderson, Daniel Johnston, Vito Acconci, and the Butthole Surfers.

Here's a link to the book:

_http://www.amazon.com/Mothman-Speaks-Conversations-Coincidences-Unconscious/dp/143927486X/

Mothman Prophecies

just re-read Mothman Prophecies this week. excellent and thought-provoking, as the cliche goes.
Mothman himself was just one of several phenomana occuring in that neck of the woods at that time.

author John Keel seems to have crystallized his theories with this book, that paranormal activity (ufos, bigfeet, things what go bump in the night) are all part of the same thing, caused by unknown agents with intent to torment, or at least tease, humanity.

spooky when someone gets phone calls warning 'Wake up down there!'.

Re: Mothman Prophecies

hello works4dhs,
when you do a search on the "Mothman Prophecies" on the top right corner of this forum
you will find several threads that already discussed that.
and by the way welcome to the forum :)

Re: Mothman Prophecies

Hi works4dhs,

Welcome to our forum. :)

We recommend all new members to post an introduction in the Newbies section telling us a bit about themselves, how they found the cass material, and how much of the work here they have read.

You can have a look through that board to see how others have done it.

RyanX said:
I just wanted to mention that I finished reading Keel's book The Mothman Prophecies last night. I had read three of his other books half a year ago (Operation Trojan Horse, Eighth Tower, Disneyland of the Gods). While these later three books do an excellent job describing Keel's more refined theories on what the ufo and high strangeness phenomena represent, The Mothman Prophecies is more of the microcosmic of his experiences in Point Pleasant WV leading up to the Silver Bridge collapse, and all the related events and phenomena (of which there is a lot!) The events and happenings Keel relates in The Mothman Prophcies are largely out of sequence, but more coherent in terms of the phenomena he describes. For instance, Keel might write in one part about problems with hearing strange beeps like Morse code on the phone and then jump to another time and place where another contactee experienced similar phenomena. So, the book jumps around a lot. Despite this I still found the book an engaging read. It's also balanced with a good deal of outlandish situational humor that Keel seems to be the butt of in his dealings with certain hyperdimensional tricksters. Overall the book gives the impression of a man struggling with a constantly shifting reality as well as his own internal struggles to not fall into any particular belief system. If you've read the second-to-last chapter in Operation Trojan Horse called "Breakthrough!", much of The Mothman Prophcies is an elaboration of the events described here.

When comparing the movie The Mothman Prophecies side-by-side with the book, there is not much similarity in terms of the storyline and only a vague similarity in terms of the actual characters. It appears that the movie was created with a certain level of Hollywood myth-making in mind, since most of the personal events portrayed in the movie, never actually happened. For instance, Keel (or Klein -- his movie name) was never married and he never worked for the Washington Post. Also, the lady, Laura Linney in the movie was not a cop, but a newspaper reporter named Mary Hyre in the book. The paranoid contactee, Gordon Smallfoot, in the movie also seems to be a composite character representing a number of contactees that Keel was dealing with at the time at Point Pleasant. The character Klein is much less sophisticated in his reasoning and methods than Keel appeared in his books. So, there are obviously some significant character and storyline differences between the book and movie.

However, the movie does do a good job of capturing some of the high strangeness phenomena that Keel elaborates on in more detail in his book. Missing time, strange phone calls, calls from 'non-persons', swollen eyes, bleeding ears, prophecies by certain entities, and prophetic dreams. Sadly, this phenomena in the movie is spun in a typical psychological horror movie fashion with the Mothman at the center, while in the book, Keel speculates that the Mothman sightings were primarily a diversion when compared to the totality of strange events happening in Point Pleasant (and elsewhere) at the time. The movie, sadly, does not tie in the connection between the paranormal phenomena and the ufo sightings, MIB reports (there were tons of these), cattle and other animal mutilations going on at the time. This is unfortunate, but understandable considering this would crush a lot of popular memes about Aliens, Ghosts, Monsters and the like. Such reasoning as Keel used is still largely unpopular among UFO and paranormal investigators alike.

Overall, The Mothman Prophecies reads like a case study centered around a particular time frame with the Silver Bridge collapse in Point Pleasant as the climax at the center. It is much more of a personal account by Keel than any of the other three books mentioned above. Keel was personally acquainted with several of the people who perished in the bridge collapse and many of these individuals he had interviewed due to their experiences with high strangeness. Keel also notes that many of the other significant contactees and other players in the events he recounts met untimely deaths after the bridge collapse anyways including the star newspaper reporter Mary Hyre.

In my own ponderings with what I've read in Laura's books and the C's transcripts, I wonder if the events surrounding Point Pleasant at the time would be a good example of 4D bleed through event on a large scale. Could something like these events in The Mothman Prophecies be similar to what the C's give as a description of what might happen when parts of the planet start to go into 4D? Reading the book gives one the impression of a people submerged in a dangerous and confusing new reality, kind of like a fish who suddenly finds itself out of water.

I noticed that this book is not on the recommended list while the other Keel books, which are largely out of print, are on the list. It seems that the movie has largely propelled copies of The Mothman Prophecies book into many bookstores, making it easy to find today (at least where I live, anyways). I would suggest that if you can find a copy of this book, get it before the mystique over the movie wears off and people forget all about it. Just my $0.02

I just saw the movie The Mothman Prophecies and after reading your analyse of the book I have bought the book at Amazon.Uk. The movie is so so, mysterious and strange... The scene of the bridge is very well done, although. And after reading your synopsis of the book I felt very strange, a little afraid, yes, I felt fear. And precisely because I felt fear I will read the book.

I finished reading this book last week, and this one passage caught my attention:

The men were closely interrogated for several minutes. Some of the questions asked were identical to the questions I asked in my own interviews. Questions about diet (some contactees seem to favor a high starch diet), marks or punctures, on their bodies, family history, etc. (Keel 1976, 96).

Nothing actually new here, but I thought it was interesting that on some level Keel, too, was aware of how an unhealthy (high carb!) diet can be detrimental in many ways. Or, is the craving for starch incresed after the abduction - do the aliens want "their cattle" to eat certain kind of food (starch)?

Great book, the only thing I didn't like was how fast he jumped from one story to another. But I guess it's as RyanX said, his main goal is to illustrate the phenomena. I can't help admiring Keel's courage. I mean, how many people could stay calm and just keep on going with their research when all that weird and scary stuff happening all the time?

Wonder how Keel's own diet was at that time? One thing he mentions in the book is that he had a habit of smoking a pipe... ;)

RyanX said:
I saw this today. Apparently this book contains some previously unpublished work of Keel.

_http://www.ufomystic.com/2011/01/14/mothman-returns/

Mothman Returns

Mothman, good news! The new book from Andy Colvin – who, arguably more than anyone else – is keeping the flame of Mothman alive – is now available. Titled The Mothman Speaks, it is, like all of Andy’s previous books on the subject, a huge one, running at almost 500 pages.

I’ll be reviewing the book as soon as I have read it. Meanwhile, here’s the product data on the book:

Spurred by the realization that the 9/11 attacks were accurately predicted – in 1967 – by a childhood friend who was seeing Mothman, Seattle artist Andy Colvin began filming a reality series, The Mothman’s Photographer, documenting his experiences growing up in West Virginia. The Mothman Speaks chronicles the thoughts and feelings of several Mothman experiencers in the years immediately after the attacks. These revealing letters, penned during a wave of odd synchronicities, sightings, and encounters, indicate that Mothman may be a guardian angel of mind-bending proportions. Increasingly, the Mothman events look to be as important and miraculous as the famous events at Fatima. Interwoven with these personal diaries are discussions between Colvin and other witnesses and experts that reach back into the mysterious history of the Ohio Valley, giving a fuller context for the phenomenon. Colvin also tracks the relationship between the paranormal and the media – how the two seemingly work together to help form public opinion and belief. Also included is a chapter featuring previously unpublished material from the late John Keel, author of “The Mothman Prophecies.” “A great paranormal/conspiracy thriller…” -Lesley Gunter, The Debris Field “Many enlightened truths, all converging…” -Dreamers Online “Really enjoyable…” -Karyn Dolan, Through the Keyhole “The best conspiracy going…” -Harriet Plumbrook “Fantastic! Should be in everyone’s Paranormal Top Ten…” -Regan Lee, UFO Digest “All-encompassing… The most important new development in the study of the Mothman entity.” -James Smith, TheMothman.org “Until I read Andy’s work, I had no idea of the scope of this experience…” -Walter Bosley, Latitude 33 “A breakthrough in how we perceive the mysterious…” -Greg Bishop, UFO Mystic “It’s too bad we all don’t go through this kind of learning process…” -John Keel

In the 1960s, on a West Virginia backroad, Andy Colvin and his family and friends had encounters with the supernatural birdman popularly known as Mothman. Following those encounters, Colvin found that he could draw, sing, and take photographs, and that he had a photographic memory. Colvin was quickly recognized as a prodigy, and was eventually offered a National Merit scholarship to Harvard University in 1977. While attending graduate school at the Univ. of Texas at Austin, Colvin helped found U.T.’s Transmedia Dept. and the Austin Film Society, an organization now credited with bringing commercial filmmaking to Texas. In 1985, Colvin used his tuition grant money to purchase the only 8mm camcorder then available, becoming the first filmmaker in Austin to shoot in the new format. His documentation of the lives of Austin “slackers” influenced the seminal cult hit that defined Generation X, “Slacker” – a project for which Colvin helped raise funds and equipment. Colvin’s band, Ed Hall, appeared in the film and on the soundtrack. Colvin also influenced the soundtrack of another breakthrough film, “El Mariachi,” which effectively redefined how independent films are made. Following graduate school, Colvin worked on Hollywood films, toured with his experimental performance troupe, The Interdimensional Vortex League (once named America’s “most underground band” by Europe’s hip arts magazine, “Blitz“), and began making small, ethnographic documentaries about unusual tribes, subcultures, and personalities. His 25-year study of modern Texans, Multislack, is due out in 2012. Colvin’s work has been seen or heard in all 50 states, and in several foreign countries. His writing has been featured in various magazines, including D’Art, the arts journal for the Church of the Subgenius. Colvin’s unique career has been studded with various mind-blowing, synchronistic events, some of which allowed him to study with, or somehow collaborate with, some of the greatest creative minds of the 20th Century, including Nam June Paik, Lee Friedlander, Keith Haring, Dennis Hopper, David Lynch, Robert Anton Wilson, Laurie Anderson, Daniel Johnston, Vito Acconci, and the Butthole Surfers.

Here's a link to the book:

_http://www.amazon.com/Mothman-Speaks-Conversations-Coincidences-Unconscious/dp/143927486X/

Hi RyanX, have you read any of the Mothman books by Andrew Colvin yet? I was just looking through them on Amazon and he has written a few! It looks like some of John Keel's material can also be found in "The Mothman's Photographer II".

Spurred in 2001 by the realization that the 9/11 attacks were accurately predicted - in 1967 - by a friend who was seeing Mothman, Seattle artist Andrew Colvin began filming a video series, "The Mothman's Photographer," documenting his experiences growing up near Pt. Pleasant, WV.

"The Mothman's Photographer II" book is based on the first half of that series, where Colvin returns to West Virginia to interview friends and family who saw Mothman. While there, Colvin is granted the last in-depth interview with the late John Keel, author of "The Mothman Prophecies." Keel actually contributes several chapters to "The Mothman's Photographer II," in the form of never-before-published transcripts of various Mothman lectures.

I then read the Amazon review of this book by Nick Redfern:

The book basically tells the very personal story of Colvin's interest in, and obsession with, the Mothman; something that began in his childhood in the sixties when he and his friends constructed a "shrine" to the Mothman - and after which strange and bizarre things began happening to Colvin, to his family, and to those around him.

In many ways, Colvin's book is more mind-bending than John Keel's The Mothman Prophecies. But this is a good thing: rather than simply go over old ground, and recount the original story, Colvin describes for us how the Mothman personally affected, manipulated, and possibly guided, his own life experiences, right through to the present day.

And it's written in an appropriately unconventional style too: via interviews, transcripts, personal comments and thoughts, and more.

For those who view Mothman as purely a crypto-zoological puzzle, you'll find yourselves at odds with Colvin, who places the creature in a very different category.

Essentially, Colvin views the Mothman as being akin to the Garuda - the majestic bird-like entity of Buddhist and Hindu mythology. Colvin's view is that the presence of the Mothman at the Point Pleasant, West Virginia bridge-collapse of 1967 (as described in Keel's book) was not in any way sinister.

Rather, Colvin sees the Mothman/Garuda as being basically a benign entity, and one that surfaces from its strange realm of existence at times of peril and strife, and when things are distinctly ill with the world. Part-helper, part-guide, it's inextricably linked with us - but generally for the better, Colvin believes.

A description of his book "The Mothman's Photographer III" on Amazon reads:

The Mothman's Photographer III" is a book of oral history based on the second half of that series, where Colvin travels afield in search of Mothman-related avatars like Thunderbird, Bigfoot, and Garuda. As the synchronicities pile up, Colvin shocks listeners to one of America's top conspiracy shows, The Grassy Knoll, by explaining that Mothman seems to have been worshipped widely in the ancient past, perhaps within the context of a single, worldwide religion. Mothman is not a demon, but an avenging angel - an archetypal protector deity sending dreams, visions, and prophecies to psychically enhanced experiencers.

By looking at the evidence found in historical texts, artwork, and philosophical and religious traditions from other countries, Colvin demonstrates that the birdman has always been one of the most revered spiritual entities, especially in times of crisis. In his interviews and encounters with experiencers, Colvin uniquely blends historical research, parapolitical theory, and spiritual wisdom to reveal valuable techniques for increasing one’s happiness, creativity, and self-knowledge

From these descriptions of Andrew Colvin he sounds like a baked noodle. I wonder though if the previously unpublished John Keel material in his books alone would make them worth purchasing.

With the (recent session's), and with the Cassiopaea forum that have addressed this topic already.

Other discussion threads from Forum members
https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?action=search2;params=eJwtj0tuhEAMRO-STTZv0R-72xwiZ0AMtEQiBiKGJIrE4WOikbwoP5Vd9jB9D-vYpvP1DOfLedsvVZTc0SGBqKRKMlJHDuSIFsTLUNeJUihoRTtSISnRRSBlkiCZ4tORWKjeEgNSiRURckIDJSK-RfBJd7jVEM-nGjFhuN2DFHVLxgRTrGAVM7_4MW8__bjdP5d2NL_9Ql-3jzYe_bYuv0-y7YervS3t_90n6qf33fHUHuNF2rCPs_dv2zHfh_UPGWBOEw..;start=0

"Window Faller's" Et vous l'avez

Some recent tubes on the subject.

MOTHMAN MONSTER - REAL OR FAKE?
Published on Oct 31, 2014
Mothman is a moth-like creature reportedly seen in the Point Pleasant area of West Virginia from 15 November 1966 to 15 December 1967. The first newspaper report was published in the Point Pleasant Register dated 16 November 1966, titled "Couples See Man-Sized Bird...Creature...Something".

Mothman was introduced to a wider audience by Gray Barker in 1970 later popularized by John Keel in his 1975 book The Mothman Prophecies, claiming that Mothman was related to a wide array of supernatural events in the area and the collapse of the Silver Bridge. The 2002 film The Mothman Prophecies, starring Richard Gere, was based on Keel's book.

On November 12, 1966, five men who were digging a grave at a cemetery near Clendenin, WV claimed to see a man-like figure fly low from the trees over their heads.[5] This is often identified as the first known sighting of what became known as the Mothman.

Shortly thereafter, on November 15, 1966, two young couples from Point Pleasant, Roger and Linda Scarberry, and Steve and Mary Mallette told police they saw a large white creature whose eyes "glowed red" when the car headlights picked it up. They described it as a " large flying man with ten-foot wings following their car while they were driving in an area outside of town known as 'the TNT area', the site of a former World War II munitions plant.

During the next few days, other people reported similar sightings. Two volunteer firemen who sighted it said it was a "large bird with red eyes". Mason County Sheriff George Johnson commented that he believed the sightings were due to an unusually large heron he termed a "shitepoke". Contractor Newell Partridge told Johnson that when he aimed a flashlight at a creature in a nearby field its eyes glowed "like bicycle reflectors", and blamed buzzing noises from his television set and the disappearance of his German Shepherd dog on the creature. Wildlife biologist Dr. Robert L. Smith at West Virginia University told reporters that descriptions and sightings all fit the sandhill crane, a large American crane almost as high as a man with a seven foot wingspan featuring circles of reddish coloring around the eyes, and that the bird may have wandered out of its migration route.

There were no Mothman reports in the immediate aftermath of the December 15, 1967 collapse of the Silver Bridge and the death of 46 people, giving rise to legends that the Mothman sightings and the bridge collapse were connected.

https://youtu.be/GJrKSZy3MQ4

Mothman Sighting 2015 Real FOOTAGE ! Evidence Caught on Tape
Published on Oct 2, 2015
Links associated with other "Window Faller's" from this video

https://youtu.be/of9zlSdFeks

Back
Top Bottom