The Plain of Jars

janus232

A Disturbance in the Force
I have lived in South East Asia for the last 10 years, and have travelled throughout the region,
and have just returned from Laos (my 7th trip there) and spent a week on the Plain of Jars,
an enigmatic region with a dozen or so sites that have huge stone jars (most are around one tonne -
however the largest are 6 tonnes) origin and date of construction unknown... I have read as much
as I can find on these objects and talked with many local and French archaeologists... all have an
opinion to offer, the truth however remains a mystery... Do any of the forum members have
any information?

Hi janus232,

Welcome to our forum. :)

We recommend all new members to post an introduction in the Newbies section telling us a bit about themselves, how they found the cass material, and how much of the work here they have read.

You can have a look through that board to see how others have done it.

Well, that's one I never have heard of but, after reading the Wikipedia article on the topic, it sure is interesting. Thing is, you can't date stone so who really knows when they were made or what for?

I just read about it in Wikipedia. Very interesting. According to Wikipedia it is still one of the most dangerous archaeological sites in the world, due to unexploded bombs, dropped during America's Secret War. The bombings probably destroyed alot too.

The pots are made from different materials, like sandstone, granite, conglomerate or calcified coral. Coral, hmm. Could it be that the plain was lower and closer to water in earlier (prehistoric) times?

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plain_of_Jars

Hi janus 232,

And welcome to the SOTT forum

Those jars are definitely puzzling.

Here's a picture:

Plainofjars_1.jpg

Awww.... the image seems to be deleted or something! Being the curious cat I found this:
(Feels like the bottom of a well... lol)

2721321675_4ed4f5dcf5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom