The Psychology of Being Influenced

Renaissance

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Here's a pretty astonishing example of how our easy our minds can be influenced by subtle cues into conforming behavior.

It's a pretty creepy insight into how open our minds are, even when having disagreeable attitudes toward the cues. Might infantile narcissism be a factor here? If so, these so-called 'influencers' may in fact be more susceptible to such things than most. I'm sure the psychological structures that these cues tap into are shared across the board, but then the question comes of how to secure your mind from such influences? What is it that makes us vulnerable? We've seen this dynamic play out with the shutdowns in large portions of the population conforming to the media's coronavirus cues where they have demanded their rights, their livelihoods, their children's development, and even their health being taken away. It's quite astonishing.

An interesting comparison is that 'influencers' are typically pretty desperate to please their followers, and you can easily recognize how desperate the corona Karen's are to please authority. These people haven't actually grown up to become adults. They are children who are fawning or stamping their feet for attention.

My guess is those engaged in continually taking on more and more difficult responsibilities are those who become less easily influenced. Taking ownership of your own learning and development also seems to naturally create healthier adult bonds with others, which in turn seems to create a natural defense as well. I think having faith in something higher than ourselves goes a long way too. Our minds like to think our opinions, thoughts, inclinations, etc. are supreme. Clearly they are not!

Thanks for posting this Renaissance and good for kids to get a lesson like it's demonstrated in the video. It reminds me how much I used to be influenced by people around me throughout my life. We learn by imitating but then if not being conscious we are propagating whatever influence there is. I observe that I am much less influenced now by things like fashion or trendy ideas for example. Still influenced I am to degree. So the key is to notice what influences I manifest and become conscious of it, keeping psychic hygiene as well. What you wrote about taking ownership in learning was big step for me and is probably crucial factor.

We learn by imitating but then if not being conscious we are propagating whatever influence there is.

This is a good point. Imitation of our parents and then peers is a natural part of our development. Porges describes how infants don't have the capacity for regulation so they utilize and imitate their mother's regulation as a form of an external nervous system. The problem is most adults are poorly regulated, essentially children themselves, so children rarely learn how to grow into adults. We stay infantalized and as such don't develop the inner capacities where we can rely (to some extent!) on our ability to think, share, recieve feedback, and process the events around us instead of depending on the 'external authority' to tell us what to think and do.

This was rather interesting, thanks for sharing!

it reminded me of this show that was around a while ago. In this one they’re explaining how a form of authority can reshape your memories, specially when those memories are formed during stressful situations, also the importance of word selection is crucial for the response we choose when inquired about it.

And take a look at this one about social conformity, it really doesn’t take that much to instill in people a nonsensical habit, if you only sell it to them through the social acceptance avenue. Think about the social distancing and all the mask wearing we see today, or the Je Sui Charlie that we saw a while back:

I've been thinking about the videos and discussion here in relation to our current (Covid-1984) situation.
This comment stood out to me:
We stay infantalized and as such don't develop the inner capacities where we can rely (to some extent!) on our ability to think, share, recieve feedback, and process the events around us instead of depending on the 'external authority' to tell us what to think and do.
There really does seem to be an infantile element to the way that huge swathes of society have been manipulated into very simplistic, black and white thinking and dependance on the authority of the government. Now, I'm not at all claiming to be immune to such influence - I would love to allow myself to think that I am, but that would now doubt be wishful thinking at this stage. There are likely many subtle ways that I've been influenced.
I agree with this point though:
So the key is to notice what influences I manifest and become conscious of it, keeping psychic hygiene as well
Not easy, but there is some real truth in this.

the importance of word selection is crucial
The 'Brain Games' video got me thinking about how clever the UK government has been in this respect; using a really simple three-part formula as often as possible in its public broadcasts (the latest version being something like: "Stay home. Protect the NHS. Save lives."). This tactic seems to be working beautifully.

Curiously, I've noticed as well a subtle shift in word selection when politicians, among others, have been talking about the roll-out of mass vaccination. They seem to be more and more using phrases like, "getting the jab", or "getting jabs in arms"... Not really what to make of this, or what the purpose might be (and of course, I could just be making something out of nothing!); just that I've noticed it.. :-/

And take a look at this one about social conformity, it really doesn’t take that much to instill in people a nonsensical habit, if you only sell it to them through the social acceptance avenue. Think about the social distancing and all the mask wearing we see today, or the Je Sui Charlie that we saw a while back:

if that is for real

it is scary :scared: in a weird funny kind of way.
I sense that the people in the video appear to adapt to the standing-up manner, out of curtesy ? Again - only IF that video is for real.

It reminds me of visiting a noble restaurant for the first time, going into a state of adaptation with your surrounding.

The atmosphere and fine habits have an influence to your behavior - even when nobody tells you how to behave... yet it sort of sneaks under your skin...

Additionally

Regarding the situation in the waiting room, i keep thinking - that in a sudden, unexpected situation - you do not fully understand the behavior of others - you resort to “nearest neighbor”: e.g. you align spontaneously to what your mind (programming ?) tells you to be a safe approach (in this case, to do like the others do).

In the mean time being able to analyze the situation further (perhaps by making a different decision)

Which however did not occur in the video as the people continued to do the pavlo’s ring-my-bell-dog-standing-up dance. 🐶

Even when alone in the room... :scared:

if that is for real

it is scary :scared: in a weird funny kind of way.
I sense that the people in the video appear to adapt to the standing-up manner, out of curtesy ? Again - only IF that video is for real.

It reminds me of visiting a noble restaurant for the first time, going into a state of adaptation with your surrounding.

The atmosphere and fine habits have an influence to your behavior - even when nobody tells you how to behave... yet it sort of sneaks under your skin...

idk it's fair tho, asians have that hive-mind you know, not to mention the environment they live is very different
and i'd stand up same way the first time
I've been thinking about the videos and discussion here in relation to our current (Covid-1984) situation.
This comment stood out to me:

There really does seem to be an infantile element to the way that huge swathes of society have been manipulated into very simplistic, black and white thinking and dependance on the authority of the government. Now, I'm not at all claiming to be immune to such influence - I would love to allow myself to think that I am, but that would now doubt be wishful thinking at this stage. There are likely many subtle ways that I've been influenced.
I agree with this point though:

Not easy, but there is some real truth in this.

The 'Brain Games' video got me thinking about how clever the UK government has been in this respect; using a really simple three-part formula as often as possible in its public broadcasts (the latest version being something like: "Stay home. Protect the NHS. Save lives."). This tactic seems to be working beautifully.

Curiously, I've noticed as well a subtle shift in word selection when politicians, among others, have been talking about the roll-out of mass vaccination. They seem to be more and more using phrases like, "getting the jab", or "getting jabs in arms"... Not really what to make of this, or what the purpose might be (and of course, I could just be making something out of nothing!); just that I've noticed it.. :-/

from the supermarket to amazon stores everything is set up with a specific purpose to make you buy and come back to their algorhytm

The subject is Propaganda, and Miller's theme here before the American Freedom Alliance, starts with a review of the film contagion - priming people "for this" now, however the implications are on tyranny in its various forms, as is the historical discussion itself.

This could be in 101 different threads, but "this one is unlike others" as the left has "functioned as the spear tip of all this."

Mark says, propaganda is at root an Anglo American invention. Propaganda "wants no argument." It is crisis propaganda now - Covid, BLM, truckers, Ukraine, race and gender (he has spoken before on AGW), and on and on backwards and forwards with the agencies easily moving politically motivated leaning camps (here the left primarily) to where they want them to go.

His ending is a good message for us all.

August 3rd, 2022

Mark Crispin Miller – his is a name you might not be familiar with but you may well know his work. Mark Crispin Miller is a Professor of Media, Culture and Communication at New York University. He is the author of several books and editor of several others. He wrote the superb forward to the iconic book PROPAGANDA by Edward Bernays, and in recent years his hard-hitting investigations and analyses into current-day propagandizing, deceit, deceptions and overall totalitarian underhandedness have been must-reads. His substack, News from Underground by Mark Crispin Miller and website are among the best on this topic. Outspoken, truth-oriented, freedom-defending, Dr. Miller is a welcome addition to our roster.

Mark says, propaganda is at root an Anglo American invention. Propaganda "wants no argument." It is crisis propaganda now - Covid, BLM, truckers, Ukraine, race and gender (he has spoken before on AGW), and on and on backwards and forwards with the agencies easily moving politically motivated leaning camps (here the left primarily) to where they want them to go.
It is interesting, specially with the way it has played out, and I mean the whole "current thing". I have quite a few acquaintances at work who support the current thing, passionately support it.

And the most interesting aspect of it to witness, is when it changes, its as if suddenly, all their compassion for the victims, the nurses, the Ukrainians, the Afghanis, whoever it happens to be the object of their "compassion" has ceased to exist... the contradictions are completely ignored.

In the past, not too distant I must admit, I have tried to point out some of these contradictions. Lastly, My body my choice, re: abortion vs. jabs, and I ended up getting yelled at by a coworker. The situation ended well, mostly because I backed out of it in time, but some people are truly like empty vessels so swing with whatever current is thrown at them.

Not saying that I am somehow impervious to it, I am sure it's a human quality that we all posses, but it is uncanny to observe.

Back
Top Bottom