The Quran and the Bible

Very nice shock experiment they did. It's slightly ridiculous to see how most people have little clue about the contents of the Bible and it's messages while accepting it's dogmas.

Mixing ignorance, stupidity, and hysteria is a recipe for disaster. It's incredible how these things tend to happen daily. For instance, there was this bizarre incident: Ignorant parent shuts down entire school district after complaining about “Muslim indoctrination” in calligraphy assignment: _http://www.salon.com/2015/12/18/ignorant_parent_shuts_down_entire_school_district_after_complaining_about_muslim_indoctrination_in_calligraphy_assignment/
The stupid parent is a certain Kimberly Herndon and her photo is on the page. The calligraphy assignment is here:
567370b2c36188ed748b45cd.jpg

Today I stumbled upon a recent blog entry (series of three) about a text analysis of the Bible (OT and NT separated) vs. the Quran under the somewhat provocative title: Text analysis answers: Is the Quran really more violent than the Bible?

It's in three parts and can be found here: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3. The conclusions are in part three, the method is in part one and part two gives the overall findings (including several graphs).

The Old Testament is by far (about twice as much, i.e. 5.3%) prone to all sorts of violence than the New Testament (2,8%) or the Quran (2,1%).

part three said:
Old Testament is Most Violent

A look into the verbatim text suggests that the content in the Quran is not more violent than its Judeo-Christian counterparts. In fact, of the three texts, the content in the Old Testament appears to be the most violent.

Killing and destruction are referenced slightly more often in the New Testament than in the Quran (2.8% vs. 2.1%), but the Old Testament clearly leads—more than twice that of the Quran—in mentions of destruction and killing (5.3%).

All in all, the analysis made a study of eight different sentiments and emotions. So there's more to be had than just the answer about violence.

As an extra, the author Tom H. C. Anderson makes a comparison of his method (called Odin text) with the more traditional Clarabridge and Attensity analytic tools -- although I have to caution that this piece reads more like an advertorial in favor of his own novel instrument than as an objective description of all three. FWIW.

Back
Top Bottom