The Secret History of the World now available on Amazon Kindle!

Scottie

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
Laura's book The Secret History of the World and How to Get Out Alive is now available as a Kindle e-book:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008VFZIN0/

It will start appearing for sale on Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.fr, Amazon.de, etc. in the next few days.

If you don't have a Kindle, you can still read the e-book on your computer, tablet, or phone by downloading Amazon's FREE Kindle reader software.

Those of you who have read the hefty printed Secret History know that at $6.99, this is one heck of a good deal!

:thup:

Mr. Scott said:
Those of you who have read the hefty printed Secret History know that at $6.99, this is one heck of a good deal!

:thup:

You betcha it is! Wow! :wow: :clap:

Thats wonderful news! :D
I got fired recently and my financials have messed up,thank you for this! :)

Cool :rockon:. And it comes, so I guess, just with the weight of a single kindle ;).

And reviews could be written since many people read it already.

Yes! I have the Laura's books Kindle version . Now I am in “The secret history ........”. first bought the English version and then the Spanish version, for me more aderestandig, the issues the author focuses and how develops in make it the perfect book for a true "Argonaut" Gives no rest: in the development of the themes. Each chapter is a challenge to the ability to delve into the "past".
Never before have I felt this feeling of being in the right place at the right time to listen (read) and feel that strange and volatile sense of freedom that is "know the truth"
It is a book to share, is so much information and resources on which it feeds that work is not for one person. "When two or more are gathered in my name there am I in their midst". It is an immense work.
I have "Dwellings of the Philosophers" purchased in 1983 and I have put a note on one of the pages: already!! 1987. Now I'll put another: Ya!! 2012. the course It set , now is only a matter of walking. Keep waking.
Thanks.

Last week I purchased Comets and the Horns of Moses for my kindle - although I am still working my way through the Secret History.

I am finding that the kindle is not so great at allowing me to 'flip' back a few pages to double check on things that I have read, it would be great if it had visible page numbers. In any case I am currently reading through sections about the Egyptian Labyrinths, comparisons to older labyrinths and their patterns, and "Why Perceval?". Are there passages in this 'area' of the book that are repeated almost word for word? I can understand repetition for emphasis - but as the kindle does not lend itself well to flipping back a few (or more than a few rather) pages to confirm whether the repetition is an error in the kindle version or purposeful or my bad memory, I was wondering if someone could confirm this for me?
The 'repetitions' seem to be 'recaps' possibly, regarding the possibilities of ancient technologies being used to build these great structures from stone, and the relative lack of metal artifacts from these periods of history.

In hindsight I wish I had purchased physical copies of the books that I could bookmark! I don't know how long a kindle battery would last if for whatever reason we were to lose electricity; so much is being transcribed to electronic data these days, I'm not really sure what would be 'harder to lose'.

Soluna said:
I am finding that the kindle is not so great at allowing me to 'flip' back a few pages to double check on things that I have read, it would be great if it had visible page numbers. In any case I am currently reading through sections about the Egyptian Labyrinths, comparisons to older labyrinths and their patterns, and "Why Perceval?". Are there passages in this 'area' of the book that are repeated almost word for word? I can understand repetition for emphasis - but as the kindle does not lend itself well to flipping back a few (or more than a few rather) pages to confirm whether the repetition is an error in the kindle version or purposeful or my bad memory, I was wondering if someone could confirm this for me?
The 'repetitions' seem to be 'recaps' possibly, regarding the possibilities of ancient technologies being used to build these great structures from stone, and the relative lack of metal artifacts from these periods of history.

If you provide some short quotes of the parts in question, we can check to see if they were intentional, or accidents in the generation of the kindle version.

In hindsight I wish I had purchased physical copies of the books that I could bookmark! I don't know how long a kindle battery would last if for whatever reason we were to lose electricity; so much is being transcribed to electronic data these days, I'm not really sure what would be 'harder to lose'.

There are USB>car battery chargers available. In the case the electricity goes out, you can charge your kindle as long as there's a running car close by.

I've reread the paragraphs that tickled my memory and I think it is simply a case of 'recapping' points that were previously mentioned. I typed out the familiar parts and flipped the pages backwards to where the similar parts were (or where I thought they may have been), and then typed up the 'original' paragraphs. There is so much information to take in and try and understand, that I think my wires may be crossing in some of the processing!!

I'll quote what I typed out so you can see where my confusion may have originated.

Last para of the Pythagoras and the Barbarians section.

Nevertheless, we have now reached the point where we have some idea that there was an ancient technology that utilized simple arithmetic, and geometry, or spatial relationships, in conjunction with sound, to accomplish something of great import. We have also come to the idea that this ancient technology was the science of the mastery of space and time and gravity. This is the great secret of the Golden Age. This is why their civilization was based on different elements than our own. Aside from the fact that cataclysms may have washed away most of the evidence of this civilization, we have here an additional reason for the lack of metal and other such artifacts of the type we would consider to be evidence of "civilization".

Just before The Dancing God section.

The Secret of Crete [section]

The majority of experts who write about the labyrinth, tell us that the plan and meaning of the maze clearly originated in Egypt, where it was the scene of the religious dramas involcing killing the god-king in the form of a bull. They further tell us that the sacrifice was only token, and that a divine bull was substituted for the king in the culmination of several days of ritual dance, drama and combat performed in a labyrinth. A smiliar cult is said to be at the root of the Cretan labyrinth myth. The "bull of Minos" would be the representative of the kingship and power of Minos; and Theseus, by killing the bull and taking the king's daughter, was claiming the throne symbolically.
[Location 7849 of 18408 on the kindle]

Chapter 9 -> Percy-ing The Veil

- Why Perceval? [last two paragraphs]

We also recall that, in our survey of labyrinths, we found that the majority of experts tell us that the plan and meaning of the maze originated in Egypt, where it was the scene of the religious dramas involved in killing the god-king in the form of a bull. They further tell us that the sacrifice was only token, and that a divine bull was substituted for the king in the culmination of several days of ritual dance, drama and combat performed in a labyrinth. Most scholars of ancient history and archaeology are powerfully influenced by the theories of Egyptology, which posits that all civilizations diffused from ancient Egypt, or from Mesopotamia, at least. However, the shee volume of evidence suggests that this is not the case.

We also wish to recall that there are two types of mazes. The Egyptian labyrinths were always composed of straight lines, and the abstract mazes on seals were usually made up of square fret patterns. Cretan coins from classical times often show labyrinths, some of which are of the Egyptian fretwork kind, but most of them show a maze of a very different construction - the square or rounded spiral design - the Greek meander - of European tradition, which is never found in Egypt. It seems that Crete was the meeting ground of two completely separate tradition.

Soluna said:
I've reread the paragraphs that tickled my memory and I think it is simply a case of 'recapping' points that were previously mentioned. I typed out the familiar parts and flipped the pages backwards to where the similar parts were (or where I thought they may have been), and then typed up the 'original' paragraphs. There is so much information to take in and try and understand, that I think my wires may be crossing in some of the processing!!

Yep, looks like it was just recapping. It you notice anything else, just let us know.

I just happened to notice that scribd __http__://www.scribd.com is again offering downloads of SHotW at __http__://www.scribd.com/doc/43018824/Secret-History-of-the-World. Did you know? I hope they are reimbursing you for the privilege!

Oh, looking further there is High Strangeness here: __http__://www.scribd.com/doc/77740093/High-Strangeness-of-Dimensions-Laura-Knight-Jadczyk

Before I posted this I thought I had better search for "scribd" on the forum and found the thread Good Website for Free Books:
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,10791.msg76783.html#msg76783. There Laura mentions that it is a pretty common occurrence for her books to appear on that site.
Also on the thread several forum members argue well against the habit of downloading copyrighted material. On occasion I too have found myself having this argument about fair use of copyrighted material, and have been too regularly surprised when the point about theft has not been accepted. I am very glad therefore to see the policy against this type of copying so clearly enunciated on this forum. It struck me as perhaps being worth suggesting to new members to consider this subject as there must be a temptation to look for free versions of the many suggested books. Perhaps a note to look at the "Good Website for Free Books" thread could even be added to the page of Recommended Books?

Is Amazon the only option to purchase Laura's books on kindle? I was just wondering if there was a better option which could benefit the group or forum members more directly.

will01 said:
Is Amazon the only option to purchase Laura's books on kindle? I was just wondering if there was a better option which could benefit the group or forum members more directly.

Yep, Amazon is the only option.

Back
Top Bottom