The Survival Medicine Handbook by Joseph and Amy Alton

Thanks for reviving this thread. I barely remember reading it. Lots of good information and I am ordering one of the books suggested. I was fascinated by the indication of Listerine being used for infections! So much more to learn about.

Also, I am a big fan of Homeopathy. I have been using homeopathy successfully for the last 30 years.
It all started when my son was treated for the first five years of his life for a chronic sinus infection. He was born with Down's Syndrome. But after literally going from one antibiotic to another I let the Universe know I was done with that and asked for help finding another way. Out of the blue, a family moved into our neighborhood. The mom was a proponent of homeopathy. Game me some books to read. And shortly after I found a Homeopath. In the first visit to the Homeopath, he was given a remedy - one tiny little sugar pill put under his tongue. The result - my son, now 37, has barely been sick. Has not needed antibiotics since being given that tiny sugar pill at 5 years old. And the doctor's think that he was/is just a lucky guy.

We have many different supplements on hand in spades (lugol’s, Vit c, alpha lipoic acid, melatonin, etc) and a good stock of first aid supplies (especially hydrogen peroxide and iodine, as they are intermittently out of stock at our stores since 2020.)
I bought some hydrogen peroxide (6%) as well as the supplements you mentioned above. According to The Survival Medical Handbook 6% HP can be used when you want to sterilise your medical tools.
I’ve also become a bit more savvy with various anti-parasitics
Yesterday I stumbled upon andiroba oil also called crabwood or krapa oil which comes from the Amazon and is used against parasites in humans, but it's also used for insect bites in animals. I don't know whether it could come in handy, but perhaps it's another product for our medical kit for humans and animals! It's not cheap, though, but it may be worth it.

You can find more information in this article which also lists published research on andiroba up to 2019:

Current Practical Uses

Andiroba oil is well known in Brazil and widely employed to heal many skin conditions and as a natural insect repellant. In the last several years, several andiroba oil products sold in capsules have appeared in Brazilian stores and pharmacies and are recommended for cancer and internal healing. North American practitioners and consumers are just beginning to learn of andiroba's powerful healing properties. Andiroba oil can be applied topically several times daily to rashes, muscle/joint aches and injuries, wounds, insect bites, boils, and ulcers. It can also be used by itself or combined with other oils as a healing and anti-inflammatory massage oil as well as placed in the ears for ear infections. It's also a great natural remedy for ear mites in dogs and cats: just place several drops in the affected ears daily for a week.
FWIW.

Hygiene is very important in rough times and I just found this short video which shows us how we can do our laundry without the help of a washing machine. The way the lady does it is cheap, but there are more expensive options available if you wish to build your own off-grid washing machine or invest in a wringer for instance:

If you search for off grid laundry you will find all kinds of interesting videos.

One of the points made in the book is how easily an infection can get really bad if not treated properly from the beginning.

Below is one of the videos of the authors of the Survival Medicine Handbook. I really like it, because it gives one all kinds of options and information:

BTW, another thing what I find so interesting about the above mentioned book is that there is also a section dedicated to dealing with human waste and rodent-proofing your home! Things we might forget when we are in the thick of it?

Back
Top Bottom