The Truth Perspective - Economic Collapse - Interview w/Fernando Aguirre

Ennio

SuperModerator
FOTCM Member
Hey folks, in case it was missed we've got an interesting show planned for today:

"This week’s guest on The Truth Perspective is Fernando “Ferfal” Aguirre. Fernando was a firsthand witness of the many tumultuous changes that occurred in the early 2000’s when Argentina saw a collapse in its economy. Finding a whole new and dangerous set of circumstances under which he was living, he had to find new approaches to the challenges of daily living, providing for his family, and keeping them in safety.

Fernando is the author of Surviving the Economic Collapse, which is an account of his many experiences and the insights he has gleaned from them. He is also well known for his Blog, Survival in Argentina, where he regularly posts information about what he sees in the world today, as well as daily tips and reviews of survival products: http://ferfal.blogspot.com/"

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/sottradionetwork/2015/03/28/the-truth-perspective--surviving-the-economic-collapse-with-fernando-aguirre

Thanks for the show today. You all did a great job. I appreciated the questions regarding debt and hearing how that played out in Argentina. Fernando's comments on starting with your own health and managing stress in a survival scenario were very practical and it was a great opening to talk about the keto diet and EE at the end. :cool2:

Indeed, very informative show. Made me rethink the whole survivalist/prepper issue.
Thanks folks. :)

Excellent show thanks guys Tried to listen last night but Internet connection issue's, going to listen to the health and wellness show now. :hug:

Enjoyed this show very much, it was very informative. The relaying of the experiences by Fernando was so well said with lots of practical examples, that I have to listen again and take notes.

Thank you for all the good questions, which brought forth good answers, for possible scenarios we may find ourselves in, in the not too distant future.

Thank you for a pretty instructive show, for many practical tips.

First of all one should stay level-headed, not freak out.

Thanks for reminding us of the show Ennio as it was really informative and I think Fernando gave us some important things we need to be aware of in any collapse which may be, and probably is, coming. I had to leave before the end but will listen to the rest via the recording.

(I live in the US so the below is that context)
Based on the information Fernando shared do you think it makes sense to pre-pay certain things like health-insurance, pay car insurance for the year? Does it even make sense to pay rent a few months in advance?

I guess my concern is that if you hand over the money that quite possibly you won't get the services like health care.

Any thoughts?
I didn't really see this addressed anywhere but then again maybe I am not searching for the right keywords on the web.

Thanks,
Dominique

domi said:
Based on the information Fernando shared do you think it makes sense to pre-pay certain things like health-insurance, pay car insurance for the year? Does it even make sense to pay rent a few months in advance?

Good questions, Domi. Just had a look at Fernando's book and didn't see anything there that addressed any of these questions specifically, btw. Since there is a certain amount of uncertainty involved in whether or not we would even want to stay where we are (if its a rental and we live in a potentially highly unstable area for instance) I would say not to pay in advance but maybe to invest that money in pm's so that it could later be changed to cash and pay those bills as needed. But maybe others have some different input on this.

The other consideration or question is, how many insurance companies will continue to even exist in the ways that they do now? Will they even have the individuals or set-up to keep track of what's owed. I do not think that we should or could count on them not being prepared, but there will be many in the same boat certainly, and we will all have the same problems there. It looks like this may be a 'wait and see' situation.

domi said:
I guess my concern is that if you hand over the money that quite possibly you won't get the services like health care.

Unfortunately, this is probably correct in general. As for healthcare, this wasn't really addressed but I think its safe to assume that services will be severely overburdened and curtailed. You may want to check out this great book: The Survival Medicine Handbook: A Guide for When Help is Not on the Way

Very informative show, many thanks! Fernando said many important things: having the right mindset, focus on cultivating meaningful relationships with friends you can rely on, be ready for people to dissapoint you and invest in learning skills rather that accumulating things.
To complement this, I have bought "How to survive the end of the world as we know it" by James Wesley. It had good reviews so let's see.

A very informative show containing much very practical advice. It makes me thinking. Thank you!

domi said:
Based on the information Fernando shared do you think it makes sense to pre-pay certain things like health-insurance, pay car insurance for the year? Does it even make sense to pay rent a few months in advance.

I am European so I do not have enough insight into your way of life basics. When you intend to stay where you are living now then it may make sense to pay rent in advance. This ensures the roof over your head. You cannot be sure if or if not insurances will stay.

Fernando mentioned his thoughts were around the basics of life. I remember food, money, keep health and safety for his people. My father lived as child and teenager through WW2 and the breakdown of Nazi Germany. What he mentioned a lot: he hungered a lot in the last war times till the new money emerged in 1948. And I heard tales that normally law-abiding people went stealing food from fields and coals from trains in the very bad times after WW2 (when they could not get these things in other ways). A bike was very useful during WW2 and afterwards, by the way.

So maybe something like a stock of durable food could be good to have, and a stock of things like soap, toothpaste, toilet paper. Also if you may want to think about things like new glasses, let your teeth repair (if you have issues with them), take care of possible health issues (if there are any), learn something, etc. Think about what you really need now and could really need in the future.

Also a good practice of EE, being on a paleo or ketogenic diet and cold adapted could give advantages. In times of very high stress you may need some time daily just to handle it. This time is missing for other things.

What could also help, is to research about possible scenarios and what you could do in these situations. A great issue is that try to continue to live your old life (normalcy bias) and not to see opportunities of the new situation. In extreme situation you may have to be very flexible. When one thing does not work you should be able to switch to something else.

Just my 2 cents. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom