Three schoolgirls might have left UK to join ISIS?

Shared Joy

Jedi Council Member
I found this on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y0gsDdXd00&annotation_id=52406101-0-2d9f-8df2-89e013a2908&feature=iv&src_vid=H1z7D4dOk0U

British police and security services have come under fire over the failure to stop three schoolgirls from traveling to Syria to become jihadist brides, despite one of the girls having tweeted a known Islamic State supporter. FULL STORY: http://on.rt.com/1tncb3

I wonder whether is true, and then why would they leave? Being under age, where they just allowed to embark without an adult chaperon? Just some distorted fantasies or maybe threat?

Joy

Yes its a true story.

The latest on it can be found here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31589762

It seems that at least one of them used someone else's passport to travel.

Niall said:
I also wondered if this 'they're taking our wimmins' is concocted drama to 'big up the enemy', but I've seen so many reports from so many countries - many including interviews with parents - that I tend to think it's really happening, and that it's far worse than we can imagine.

Would we even be able to imagine it in any "milder" form? I keep reading about it, I know it's happening, but I still have a hard time wrapping my head around it. Teenage girls leaving their families and houses to become jihadists' wives in war zones!? For ISIS? Why didn't we see that happening with al-Qaeda? And not all of the girls that are joining ISIS are Muslims, like these 3 British girls are. What's going on here?

When I was their age I had rock-star posters on my walls. Are there websites that promote ISIS fighters as "stars" in some form? And why do I feel that if I go check out jihadist websites I might get police at my door the next day, yet these underage girls not only find them, but read them long enough to be "convinced" that this is the life they "choose", book tickets on their own to far off lands and are able to disappear without alarming the authorities? It boggles my mind in so many ways, I know it's happening but I still can't believe it, if that makes sense. :cuckoo:

Alana said:
Niall said:
I also wondered if this 'they're taking our wimmins' is concocted drama to 'big up the enemy', but I've seen so many reports from so many countries - many including interviews with parents - that I tend to think it's really happening, and that it's far worse than we can imagine.

Would we even be able to imagine it in any "milder" form? I keep reading about it, I know it's happening, but I still have a hard time wrapping my head around it. Teenage girls leaving their families and houses to become jihadists' wives in war zones!? For ISIS? Why didn't we see that happening with al-Qaeda? And not all of the girls that are joining ISIS are Muslims, like these 3 British girls are. What's going on here?

When I was their age I had rock-star posters on my walls. Are there websites that promote ISIS fighters as "stars" in some form? And why do I feel that if I go check out jihadist websites I might get police at my door the next day, yet these underage girls not only find them, but read them long enough to be "convinced" that this is the life they "choose", book tickets on their own to far off lands and are able to disappear without alarming the authorities? It boggles my mind in so many ways, I know it's happening but I still can't believe it, if that makes sense. :cuckoo:

This has been on the radio continuously every day, on pretty much all radio stations. It does seem like we're only getting the 'surface' of the whole situation, girls going to join the ISIS??? I have the same approach as you Alana, it's hard to believe something like this is actually happening...
What kind of lives have these girls got back at home if they're choosing to give it up for a life around a warzone.

I don't understand how they're being 'convinced' or influenced, are these girls victims of some kind of programming? There must be more young girls who are being influenced somehow!

lilyalic said:
This has been on the radio continuously every day, on pretty much all radio stations. It does seem like we're only getting the 'surface' of the whole situation, girls going to join the ISIS??? I have the same approach as you Alana, it's hard to believe something like this is actually happening...
What kind of lives have these girls got back at home if they're choosing to give it up for a life around a warzone.

I don't understand how they're being 'convinced' or influenced, are these girls victims of some kind of programming? There must be more young girls who are being influenced somehow!

It's really sad. If I remember correctly a woman went there with her son and was shocked at what she saw and was able to escape with her child. She expected to see a paradise or something. People stop using their brains at some point, even at such a young age, like those three British girls, you would expect their instinct would tell them that ''going to a warzone might be a bad idea''. I just hope that parents will keep a close watch on their children, and inform them what ISIS is really about.

I think all of this will also lead to schools strictly checking out students' facebook and twitter accounts, so more Big Brother control. A school in Belgium has already started screening all their students.

Oxajil said:
It's really sad. If I remember correctly a woman went there with her son and was shocked at what she saw and was able to escape with her child. She expected to see a paradise or something. People stop using their brains at some point, even at such a young age, like those three British girls, you would expect their instinct would tell them that ''going to a warzone might be a bad idea''. I just hope that parents will keep a close watch on their children, and inform them what ISIS is really about.

I think all of this will also lead to schools strictly checking out students' facebook and twitter accounts, so more Big Brother control. A school in Belgium has already started screening all their students.

I agree, it is horrible. So basically the western intelligence network (responsible for the creation of IS in the first place) recruits young girls through their networks embedded in the host countries, all the while posing as IS Jihadists. It's rather like a mixture of the FBI "terror plot" setups and the elite pedophile networks, and can really just be called human trafficking.

The recruitment networks enable young bloodthirsty psychopaths to get a ticket into ISIS, but they must also get a kick out of duping young girls to come and service the Jihadi orgy. Apparently raping all the women "over there" is not quite enough.

At the same time, it's all being used as an excuse for yet more internet surveillance. Dark indeed.

I still can't fathom if it's really the reason they left ?
It boggles my mind on the how and whys anyone would leave like that.

Thus said, it may serve a double purpose, to feed the sex trafficking rings and reinforce the anti-muslim propaganda.

Because of all this, I don't know what will be implemented as draconian measures to "educate" the youth, mandatory "good citizen" classes ?

It brings to mind that exaggerated stereotype of females' infatuation with "bad boys".

Obviously this level of "bad" is uncharted territory.

The same is happening in Russia too: young girls meet terrorists in social networks and then go to the North Caucasus and 'marry' them (if this farce can be called 'marriage' at all: it's not even official, of course). After these terrorists get killed by the siloviki, the girls often become jihadists, the so-called 'black widows': suicide bombers who commit terrorist attacks in public places killing dozens of innocent civilians in revenge for the deaths of their new 'husbands.'

And there are also interviews, reports, documentaries in Russian where girls themselves explain why they choose to join those jihadists, e.g. something like 'Oh, my student life was so careless: parties, friends, hobbies and now I found someone who is so serious and follows strict traditions and laws, which means he must be strong and mature unlike my student friends.'

It could indeed be some kind of program running their minds: they sincerely think that those jihadists are 'real men' as compared to their under-aged male class-mates, which is such a sickening deception!

Niall said:

HI Niall and all,

I can assure you that these things really happen.
The mother of one of my colleagues is a teacher in a regular public school.
One day this colleague was really upset because her mother had told her two of her female pupils had left for ISIS.
And she is not the only one - one of my friends who is also teacher told me similar things. Although he did not want to talk too much.

Problem is: A lot of our young people are suffering from "no future" - girls as well as boys.
There they are given a meaning of life, a way to feel important, etc.. The bad thing comes afterwards. This is also known.
And government now tries to bring some of the youngsters who were able to come back to schools so that the other kids could learn from them.

:curse: :O :knitting:

Alana said:
Teenage girls leaving their families and houses to become jihadists' wives in war zones!? For ISIS? Why didn't we see that happening with al-Qaeda?

I found a good answer to this question this article by Foreign Affairs:

ISIS Is Not a Terrorist Group
http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/143043/audrey-kurth-cronin/isis-is-not-a-terrorist-group

It makes some good points in general regarding the differences between al-Qaeda and ISIS, but with lots of official narrative. Anyway, back to our discussion, this is the part of the article I refer to:

SEX AND THE SINGLE JIHADIST

Another aspect of U.S. counterterrorism that has worked well against al Qaeda is the effort to delegitimize the group by publicizing its targeting errors and violent excesses—or by helping U.S. allies do so. Al Qaeda’s attacks frequently kill Muslims, and the group’s leaders are highly sensitive to the risk this poses to their image as the vanguard of a mass Muslim movement. Attacks in Morocco, Saudi Arabia, and Turkey in 2003; Spain in 2004; and Jordan and the United Kingdom in 2005 all resulted in Muslim casualties that outraged members of Islamic communities everywhere and reduced support for al Qaeda across the Muslim world. The group has steadily lost popular support since around 2007; today, al Qaeda is widely reviled in the Muslim world. The Pew Research Center surveyed nearly 9,000 Muslims in 11 countries in 2013 and found a high median level of disapproval of al Qaeda: 57 percent. In many countries, the number was far higher: 96 percent of Muslims polled in Lebanon, 81 percent in Jordan, 73 percent in Turkey, and 69 percent in Egypt held an unfavorable view of al Qaeda.

ISIS, however, seems impervious to the risk of a backlash. In proclaiming himself the caliph, Baghdadi made a bold (if absurd) claim to religious authority. But ISIS’ core message is about raw power and revenge, not legitimacy. Its brutality—videotaped beheadings, mass executions—is designed to intimidate foes and suppress dissent. Revulsion among Muslims at such cruelty might eventually undermine ISIS. But for the time being, Washington’s focus on ISIS’ savagery only helps the group augment its aura of strength.

For similar reasons, it has proved difficult for the United States and its partners to combat the recruitment efforts that have attracted so many young Muslims to ISIS’ ranks. The core al Qaeda group attracted followers with religious arguments and a pseudo-scholarly message of altruism for the sake of the ummah, the global Muslim community. Bin Laden and his longtime second-in-command and successor, Ayman al-Zawahiri, carefully constructed an image of religious legitimacy and piety. In their propaganda videos, the men appeared as ascetic warriors, sitting on the ground in caves, studying in libraries, or taking refuge in remote camps. Although some of al Qaeda’s affiliates have better recruiting pitches, the core group cast the establishment of a caliphate as a long-term, almost utopian goal: educating and mobilizing the ummah came first. In al Qaeda, there is no place for alcohol or women. In this sense, al Qaeda’s image is deeply unsexy; indeed, for the young al Qaeda recruit, sex itself comes only after marriage—or martyrdom. 

Even for the angriest young Muslim man, this might be a bit of a hard sell. Al Qaeda’s leaders’ attempts to depict themselves as moral—even moralistic—figures have limited their appeal. Successful deradicalization programs in places such as Indonesia and Singapore have zeroed in on the mismatch between what al Qaeda offers and what most young people are really interested in, encouraging militants to reintegrate into society, where their more prosaic hopes and desires might be fulfilled more readily. 

ISIS, in contrast, offers a very different message for young men, and sometimes women. The group attracts followers yearning for not only religious righteousness but also adventure, personal power, and a sense of self and community. And, of course, some people just want to kill—and ISIS welcomes them, too. The group’s brutal violence attracts attention, demonstrates dominance, and draws people to the action. 

ISIS operates in urban settings and offers recruits immediate opportunities to fight. It advertises by distributing exhilarating podcasts produced by individual fighters on the frontlines. The group also procures sexual partners for its male recruits; some of these women volunteer for this role, but most of them are coerced or even enslaved. The group barely bothers to justify this behavior in religious terms; its sales pitch is conquest in all its forms, including the sexual kind. And it has already established a self-styled caliphate, with Baghdadi as the caliph, thus making present (if only in a limited way, for now) what al Qaeda generally held out as something more akin to a utopian future.

In short, ISIS offers short-term, primitive gratification. It does not radicalize people in ways that can be countered by appeals to logic. Teenagers are attracted to the group without even understanding what it is, and older fighters just want to be associated with ISIS’ success. Compared with fighting al Qaeda’s relatively austere message, Washington has found it much harder to counter ISIS’ more visceral appeal, perhaps for a very simple reason: a desire for power, agency, and instant results also pervades American culture. 

Ok, but where are they now? Did they finally work out that they were merely pawns? People just don't disappear. Where are their families and what do they say about it?

Back
Top Bottom