Tips to protect oneself a minimum from Google

Ellipse

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
If you're not particularly well-versed in web stuff perhaps you're not aware at what level Google spy your surf experience.
In fact Google is not only the dominant search engine with all problems involved, but it's also, between other, a provider of "free" services for webmasters to track their visitors. And a lot (mostly?) web sites use this service named Google Analytic, fortunately Sott don't but paid the price, a referencing downgrade. So a cookie from Google is set on your computer and updated each time you visit a web page using this technology. This is cool for Google because now Analytic is so widespread that they can follow you from site to site... :) If the site do not use Analytic then it certainly use Adword to display some ads so anywhere you go you're plagued with the Google cookie. :D

So what to do ? Well here is my advices.

1) If not already done, switch to Firefox
2) Setup the wonderful "Adblock plus" plugin http://adblockplus.org/en/installation
Not only ads will be blocked but several Google scripts using tracking techniques too.

Now here's the cookie part.

If you do not use yourself, a Google service, you can simply forbid Google cookie in Firefox:
3) Go to Tools->Options->Privacy, click on Exceptions and add:
google.com
googleadservices.com
google.fr if you're French and so on...

If for some reason you need to login to Google you can't permanently forbid the cookie so an alternative is to use "CookieCuller" https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/82.
We can configure it to destroy all cookies on demand but those we have protected, those related to Sott for example. The drawback is, we have to regularly click on CookieCuller to destroy the Google cookie.

Next time I will explain how to add a rule to adblockplus to block more Google scripts.

Article of interest : http://www.sott.net/articles/show/182836-Are-we-mad-to-allow-Big-Brother-Google-to-take-over-the-world-
'The problem with the attitude Google is taking - which is that you needn't worry your little heads about all this data we're collecting because we promise you we aren't going to use it for purposes you wouldn't like - is that it's very easy for that attitude to change, according to changes in the market,' says Dr Brown.

'Let's say if Google's ad sales were going down and they decided to change their policy on behavioural advertising. That's one problem.

'Another is that governments may decide they would like access to all that information. That has happened in the U.S. where the American government subpoenaed Google and a number of other search engines for information on what people had been searching for.

I don't use Google at all. For some reason I never liked it.
I am however running internet explorer so does that mean that even though I'm not using Google I can still aquire their cookies from various websites just by surfing?

I cleared my (IE) computer system of Google when I kept getting viruses which the McAffee VirusScan traced back to Google.

Some linked videos can only be viewed via Google, which is a bit of a worry, as some of these videos need to be viewed to keep one 'up to scratch', as it were.

I suppose the only answer is to regularly delete computer browsing history. Is this correct?

as far as cookies are concerned, i think the best option is simply to disable them by default for all websites and then add exceptions for desired sites (such as this forum). it can be easily achieved in Firefox and Opera. i'm not sure how about other browsers.

regarding Google alone, the search page may look pretty innocent but behind the simplicity it conceals a portion of sophisticated javascript - to track letter by letter what is being typed in the search box before the entered term is submitted (this lets the site to provide search hints), to register which search results have been clicked, and probably more. so if we use Google, it may be a good idea to turn off javascript for their search page. it's easy in Opera; Firefox needs some plugins to do that i guess.

I don't use Google at all. For some reason I never liked it.
I am however running internet explorer so does that mean that even though I'm not using Google I can still aquire their cookies from various websites just by surfing?
Absolutely because so much sites use Google services in their pages code.

I suppose the only answer is to regularly delete computer browsing history. Is this correct?
Not history but cookies, yes.

as far as cookies are concerned, i think the best option is simply to disable them by default for all websites and then add exceptions for desired sites (such as this forum).
Ok but the number of exceptions to add (sites where you have to login) can be a problem.

regarding Google alone, the search page may look pretty innocent but behind the simplicity it conceals a portion of sophisticated javascript - to track letter by letter what is being typed in the search box before the entered term is submitted (this lets the site to provide search hints), to register which search results have been clicked, and probably more. so if we use Google, it may be a good idea to turn off javascript for their search page. it's easy in Opera; Firefox needs some plugins to do that i guess.
Good remark about the click tracking but effectively, javascript can't be turned off for a single site with Firefox. I will have a look if a plugin can do that.

Thanks Ellipse for the info.

I found a setting in IE that controls cookies. Under the internet options menu, privacy tab, advanced button, it allows you to control whether you want to allow, deny or prompt you each time for First Party and Third Party cookies. Default allows everything naturally. I have changed my settings to prompt me each time for First party cookies and completely block Third party cookies and so far I've had no trouble with any of my usual web pages. I'll keep doing my usual thing and let you know if I come across any problems.

bedower said:
I cleared my (IE) computer system of Google when I kept getting viruses which the McAffee VirusScan traced back to Google.

Some linked videos can only be viewed via Google, which is a bit of a worry, as some of these videos need to be viewed to keep one 'up to scratch', as it were.

Google is a search engine, it can not give you a virus.

Google does not host videos except on Google Video otherwise it just searches and displays results.

Ellipse said:
If you're not particularly well-versed in web stuff perhaps you're not aware at what level Google spy your surf experience.
In fact Google is not only the dominant search engine with all problems involved, but it's also, between other, a provider of "free" services for webmasters to track their visitors. And a lot (mostly?) web sites use this service named Google Analytic, fortunately Sott don't but paid the price, a referencing downgrade. So a cookie from Google is set on your computer and updated each time you visit a web page using this technology. This is cool for Google because now Analytic is so widespread that they can follow you from site to site... :) If the site do not use Analytic then it certainly use Adword to display some ads so anywhere you go you're plagued with the Google cookie. :D

Google collects information anonymously and has been upfront about this, many many companies do this anyways and there is no real way to get around it, your surfing will be tracked on an ISP level soon and stored where various law enforcement will have access to it and who knows who else.

This has already happened in the UK as per article on Sott and other sites.

Google collects anonymous information to sell you stuff, there are much better ways to track individuals and the Google search engine would not be it.

ISPs know who you are, where you live and ALL information going to and from your computers, Google may be able to put together some interesting statistics in general but i'd be more worried about my ISP or having your computer compromised by hackers/malware as happened recently to 1.4 million computers.

I've had keylogger get into my PC with award winning anti virus and 2 firewalls because i had an issue with windows and i couldnt update my Adobe Flash, having someone being able to see everything you typed for weeks is scary.

Encryption would be one of the only current methods to protect your data online, most software you are using does not send encrypted information.

I'm not saying Google wouldn't turn around and do something dodgy, i'm just saying there are bigger things to worry about online than Google Analytics tracking your surfing habits.

Whats to make you think MSN/Microsoft is any better, how about Yahoo who has partererd with Google for a portion of their search?

How do you propose to browse?

I too do not like the idea of being watched but I have a feeling we are long past that now.

So what to do ? Well here is my advices.

1) If not already done, switch to Firefox
2) Setup the wonderful "Adblock plus" plugin http://adblockplus.org/en/installation
Not only ads will be blocked but several Google scripts using tracking techniques too.

Now here's the cookie part.

If you do not use yourself, a Google service, you can simply forbid Google cookie in Firefox:
3) Go to Tools->Options->Privacy, click on Exceptions and add:
google.com
googleadservices.com
google.fr if you're French and so on...

If for some reason you need to login to Google you can't permanently forbid the cookie so an alternative is to use "CookieCuller" https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/82.
We can configure it to destroy all cookies on demand but those we have protected, those related to Sott for example. The drawback is, we have to regularly click on CookieCuller to destroy the Google cookie.

Next time I will explain how to add a rule to adblockplus to block more Google scripts.

Article of interest : http://www.sott.net/articles/show/182836-Are-we-mad-to-allow-Big-Brother-Google-to-take-over-the-world-
'The problem with the attitude Google is taking - which is that you needn't worry your little heads about all this data we're collecting because we promise you we aren't going to use it for purposes you wouldn't like - is that it's very easy for that attitude to change, according to changes in the market,' says Dr Brown.

'Let's say if Google's ad sales were going down and they decided to change their policy on behavioural advertising. That's one problem.

'Another is that governments may decide they would like access to all that information. That has happened in the U.S. where the American government subpoenaed Google and a number of other search engines for information on what people had been searching for.

As Lostinself remarked, G**gle use javascript to track on witch result you click. Here's how to prevent it in Firefox:

1) Setup YesScript plugin: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4922 (lets you make a blacklist of sites that aren't allowed to run JavaScript)
2) Go to Tools->Add-ons->YesScript and add www.google.com to the list

Possibly Javascript can be temporally turn on again on G**gle by clicking on the parchment icon bottom in the Firefox status bar.

in order to prevent google analytics from collecting information, i would suggest using the firefox addon called 'Customize Google'.
_http://www.customizegoogle.com/
under 'privacy' you can activate 'don't send any information to google analytics' and 'anonymize the google cookie UID'.

as an added layer of protection, i recommend using scroogle _www.scroogle.org
which uses the google search function, but prevents information from being collected. (the site can naturally be added to the firefox search bar)

Use Firefox with Adblock Plus and NoScript plugin and look no further. NoScript will block all javascripts and hidden code on a webpage including Googleanalytics.com. Then simply click on the plugin icon and add your favourite website to allow javascripts - can't be easier than this. Also may I suggest not to use any Google/MSN/Yahoo/AOL browser toolbars. IF you are using these toolbars for the form filling function than use RoboForm instead.

Iconoclast said:
... as an added layer of protection, i recommend using scroogle _www.scroogle.org
which uses the google search function, but prevents information from being collected. (the site can naturally be added to the firefox search bar)

I also use _scroogle.org although it's not as convenient since the search is limited to max 100 results and it imo takes more skill to actually get a relevant result. But that might just be me.

Also, to help protect oneself from some other forms of unique identification and tracking as discussed in the SOTT article:

What the World Knows About Your Computer

one can use something like Privoxy available at http://www.privoxy.org/. Note that it might not be so easy to set up for non-technical computer users but it does help by allowing you to tailor and/or filter out the information your browser passes to a site. There are other ways to accomplish some of this as well, but I'm not sure if there is a browser plugin that will do the same. And, I haven't come across any way yet to block the tracking that can be done from within flash.

Protecting internet privacy is like preventing your car from being stolen. If you don't want your car stolen, don't own one. If your car is on the thief's shopping list, it's gone. Likewise the WWW. The way technology is "advancing", soon your computer/mobile will be tracked by GPS and a satellite will zoom on ya and see what your wearing... Shorts or Briefs?

Iconoclast said:
in order to prevent google analytics from collecting information, i would suggest using the firefox addon called 'Customize Google'.
_http://www.customizegoogle.com/

Hi Iconoclast, this addon does not work with the newer versions of Firefox (latest update is from 2008). Any alternatives for stopping google analytics to collect data?

Back
Top Bottom