Tobacco project/research/video

I have a close friend who is Native Canadian and he buys his cigarettes on the reserve and he shares them with me. Apparently they are just tobacco no additives and what a difference. I am down to smoking maybe two or three a day. I swear its all those chemicals that cause that horrible I NEED A SMOKE NOW craving in those store bought cigarettes. I can no longer stand the taste of them either. And I feel great not short of breath or coughing . And to be honest I live in Alberta so I do smoke a bit more when it is not - 20 outside. It would be interesting to find out exactly what the difference is between store bought cigarettes and the ones I have been smoking. I realize my comment is not very scientific and just my opinion sorry about that

I have a close friend who is Native Canadian and he buys his cigarettes on the reserve and he shares them with me. Apparently they are just tobacco no additives and what a difference. I am down to smoking maybe two or three a day. I swear its all those chemicals that cause that horrible I NEED A SMOKE NOW craving in those store bought cigarettes. I can no longer stand the taste of them either. And I feel great not short of breath or coughing . And to be honest I live in Alberta so I do smoke a bit more when it is not - 20 outside. It would be interesting to find out exactly what the difference is between store bought cigarettes and the ones I have been smoking. I realize my comment is not very scientific and just my opinion sorry about that
I totally agree with you! The difference in taste, as well as the cravings is noticeably changed.
During the initial weirdness of the Covid idiot strange wave, I connected with a few “fringe” “importers” of pure, clean tobacco from the east coast of Canada.
These are the ones I smoke:

848F9D94-BE37-44A0-A4FD-B57B3B34C091.jpeg

I don't know anything about e-cig. However, several months ago I started using a Dynavap Dry Herb Vaporizer. Dry herb vaporizer are apparently used a lot for pot, not much for tobacco.

Most people using a vaporizer with pot says that they get more of the substances they are after than when smoking it.

I have tried to see if the same was true when vaporizing tobacco. And how much is more.

I didn't find anything precise but there is the following from Philip Morris Switzerland website:
I also tried a dry herb vaporizer some time ago and I used my very own halfzware tobacco that I am smoking. On the positive side, it was quite a pleasant experience due to the tobacco flavors. Flavors are better when tobacco is not burned. Also it delivers some nicotine.

And still.........................did I have to smoke a cigarette afterwards. Nevertheless, for some people it may work but not for me.

And still.........................did I have to smoke a cigarette afterwards. Nevertheless, for some people it may work but not for me.
I did made a similar comment on another thread when I started experimenting with dry herb vaporizers (DHV).

However, I did continue with the experiment.

I had two goals I assumed I could achieve:
°reduce my "smoking" budget;
°reduce my problem of colourded teeth.

I kind of achieve the first goal. I went from smoking about 20 cigarillos, before the beginning of the experiment, to smoking about 5 cigarillos a day on average plus "vaporizing" something like 10g of tobacco per day.

That does work for me for now. But...
Putting aside the physiological particularities of each individual, there is another thing that I realised while experimenting. It as to do with the way those DHV works. Basicaly, to "vaporize" 10g of tobacco you need to do 50 five-mitutes-sessions. And contrary to regular smoking you need an available hand and some attention. So even for me who work mostly at home and mostly on a computer, it's tricky.

It looks like other people are also interested in nicotine enantiomers. Here is another article fresh from the oven:

Physiological properties of (R)-nicotine have differences compared with (S)-nicotine, and the subject of (S)- and (R)-nicotine ratio in smoking or vaping related items is of considerable interest. A Liquid Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry/Mass Spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) method for the analysis of (S)- and (R)-nicotine has been developed and applied to samples of nicotine from different sources, nicotine pyrolyzates, several types of tobacco, smoke from combustible cigarettes, smoke from heated tobacco products, e-liquids, and particulate matter obtained from e-cigarettes aerosol. The separation was achieved on a Chiracel OJ-3 column, 250 × 4.6 mm with 3-μm particles using a nonaqueous mobile phase. The detection was performed using atmospheric pressure chemical ionization (APCI) in positive mode. The only transition measured for the analysis of nicotine was 163.1 → 84.0. The method has been summarily validated. For the analysis, the samples of tobacco and smoke from combustible cigarettes were subject to a cleanup procedure using solid phase extraction (SPE). It was demonstrated that nicotine upon heating above 450°C for several minutes starts decomposing, and some formation of (R)-enantiomer from a sample of 99% (S)-nicotine is observed. An analogous process takes place when a 99% (R)-nicotine is heated and forms low levels of (S)-nicotine. This interconversion has the effect of slightly increasing the content of (R)-nicotine in smoke compared with the level in tobacco for combustible cigarettes and for heated tobacco products. The (S)/(R) ratio of nicotine enantiomers in e-liquids was identical with the ratio for the particulate phase of aerosols generated by e-cigarette vaping.

In other words, you can generate R-nicotine when smoking a cigarette, but you cannot generate R-nicotine when you vape the e-cig. So you must use the synthetic nicotine that already has R-nicotine in the liquid.

And what is the importance of R-nicotine? While it is true that it is much less potent than S-nicotine, it seems that it can enhance the binding of nicotine to nicotine receptors in the brain. So the R-nicotine would enhance the effect of the S-nicotine. In this article R-nicotine is (+)-nicotine and (S)-nicotine is (-)-nicotine:

Saturation studies employing (-)- and (+)-[3H]nicotine indicate that the isomers bind to different very high and high affinity sites since the binding density for (-)-[3H]nicotine is 10 times that for (+)-[3H]nicotine. Both isomers also bind to a low affinity site (KDS = approximately 10(-5) to 10(-4) M). Competition studies employing unlabelled (-)- and (+)-nicotine reveal greater complexities. The isomers also appear to bind to a separate site which enhances binding at the (-)- and (+)-nicotine high affinity sites. (+)-Nicotine is more effective in increasing the binding of (-)-[3H]nicotine at its high affinity site than (-)-nicotine. Further, (+)-nicotine has a greater specificity for enhancing binding than (-)-nicotine in that it enhances (-)-[3H]nicotine binding at lower concentrations and inhibits binding at higher concentrations than (-)-nicotine.

It looks like other people are also interested in nicotine enantiomers. Here is another article fresh from the oven:

In other words, you can generate R-nicotine when smoking a cigarette, but you cannot generate R-nicotine when you vape the e-cig. So you must use the synthetic nicotine that already has R-nicotine in the liquid.

And what is the importance of R-nicotine? While it is true that it is much less potent than S-nicotine, it seems that it can enhance the binding of nicotine to nicotine receptors in the brain. So the R-nicotine would enhance the effect of the S-nicotine. In this article R-nicotine is (+)-nicotine and (S)-nicotine is (-)-nicotine:
I am slowly recovering from your post, Persej.

It seems to say that it is not possible to make a satisfying liquid with low temperature methods. We would practically have to burn the tobacco at 450°C and somehow collect the fumes and trap them in a liquid. Quite a challege, I think. I also think it would be better, not to tell anybody........
Maybe a (modified)dry herb distillery could do such a job? I don't know. It is a little bit beyond me right now.

Another thought I have on this is that we are dealing here with organic chemistry. And, as everybody knows, organic chemistry is a bitch. There may be other ways to achieve satisfying results.

At least this is my hope.
And I have kitchen laboratory.
Having said this, all options are on the table.

I am slowly recovering from your post, Persej.
Yeah, it's a little bit dense, but I think that it will all come down to some simple solutions.

It seems to say that it is not possible to make a satisfying liquid with low temperature methods. We would practically have to burn the tobacco at 450°C and somehow collect the fumes and trap them in a liquid. Quite a challege, I think. I also think it would be better, not to tell anybody........
Maybe a (modified)dry herb distillery could do such a job? I don't know. It is a little bit beyond me right now.

Another thought I have on this is that we are dealing here with organic chemistry. And, as everybody knows, organic chemistry is a bitch. There may be other ways to achieve satisfying results.

Don't worry about organic chemistry. We have scientists to do the job for us. You don't have to make anything. All you have to do is to buy the synthetic version of nicotine that is not derived from tobacco. Such liquids have a descriptions such as these:

Tobacco Free Nicotine, Synthetic Nicotine Formulation, Non-Tobacco Nicotine

The only problem is that synthetic nicotine is still more expensive than natural nicotine (about 4 times), so the maximum strength that you can find, as far as I can see, is the 6mg version. However, you can also buy natural nicotine liquid and mix it with synthetic one to make a higher strength liquid. For example, you can mix 24mg of natural version and 6mg of synthetic one to get a 15mg mixed version. In that version you will have 12mg of S-nicotine and 3mg of R-nicotine, which will be more similar to what you have when you smoke tobacco cigarettes.

I found an interesting interview with a Maestro Tabaquero, an Amazonian traditional healer whose medical specialization focuses on tobacco-based treatments. Here are the most interesting parts to me:

Experienced Short-, Mid-, and Long-Term Effects​

The healer states that the felt effect of tobacco heavily depends on the specific mode of preparation. He goes on to describe the sequence of effects typically experienced in the context of the “strong” tobacco preparation used in the ceremonial or dietary context: The first effects may set in quite immediately or after a few minutes, the onset being experienced either abruptly (“an internal blow”), or more gradually as an intensifying malaise. The patient may experience an inner tension with typical bodily sensations (dizziness, nausea, weakness) and cognitive/affective unease, a process which then culminates in vomiting. This tobacco-induced emesis gives way to a next effect phase, in which an inner sense of relaxation, coupled with introspective mental activity, tends to be experienced. The healer describes: “About 30 minutes after having ingested the tobacco, after having vomited, there is an opening of the psychic-mental. The person starts to reflect and there are like stories surfacing, possibly from childhood. This is because the psychic-mental has opened—a bit like a memory chip of a cell phone where there is information. And there the person will see or feel a lot of bad things, and a lot of good things. These things are not perceptions of something external, but they are emerging from their own mind, it is their mind that is releasing or liberating things. These are the effects. And later on, if the body and the tobacco have aligned, the person feels a sort of inner peace. It has this effect.” He describes that memories, emotions, and thoughts are surfacing in this phase and “if someone knows a bit of concentration, there may also be visions.” This progression of effects may take approximately 2 h, he explains, after which the intense effect wanes but remains in a mild form. Vivid dreams are common in the sleep thereafter, the healer explains, often with personally meaningful contents.

He describes that in the days or week that follow, one typically discovers a more positive outlook on life, a more joyful general attitude. Prior negative tendencies of the mind have greatly lessened and “a positive mind-state gets strengthened.” On an emotional level, the healer describes that “if for instance someone has been very hard in their heart, he/she will have feelings come up. The person may experience more love, love towards nature, animals, or people. It opens a state of feeling which may be new to that person; they may be happy, or cry for example.”

The nature of long-term therapeutic benefits of tobacco-based remedies generally depends on the specific illness targeted (see the following 3 sections), but if administered for cleansing purposes, an occasional repetition is necessary, to prevent new accumulations of toxins in the body-mind system, so to speak: “So, since the contemporary world is quite contaminated, in different ways, it is necessary to continually liberate and clean these energies. [… ] Like a machine that needs regular maintenance, something like that.”

Applications in Amazonian Epistemic Health Domains and the Tobacco's Spiritual-Energetic Properties​

The healer explains that viewed from the Amazonian medical understanding, tobacco medicine, in addition to the plant’s biochemical action, exerts its therapeutic effects via the energetic and spiritual domains. These domains or aspects of the human body are significant for pathogenesis “because illnesses first arise in the spirit-body, then in the energy-body, and only then manifest in the physical body,” he explains. Aiming to further elucidate the energy aspect of the body, he describes that like nerves, the body is permeated by energy channels, which are in direct relationship with the structures of body and mind. In his point of view, the key power of the tobacco plant, thus, lies in its extraordinary capacity to tackle the spiritual-energetic dimension: “There are many excellent medicines, but for energetic problems, tobacco is number one.” He describes that it removes energetic pollutants from the system, thereby increasing the flow of energy in the body, which in turn improves health of body and mind. Furthermore, according to Amazonian epistemologies, there are illnesses that are expressly related to spirits (noncorporeal living beings, which can be health- or sickness-promoting). The tobacco is said to be effective for such illnesses because the plant itself is associated with a powerfully healing spirit, which antagonizes malevolent entities: “With tobacco [these kinds of illnesses] get cured in one go, because demons cannot live where there is tobacco.”

The healer illustrates the interplay between physical, psychological, energetic, and spirit-related factors in the description of the immediate effect of tobacco: “Upon ingestion the tobacco connects to the stomach and, together with its energetic power, connects to the intestines. From the intestines it connects to the brain and nervous system and mobilizes the energy system of the overall body. In the course of this process, vomiting is triggered. [… ] So the person tends to vomit, but in these bouts of vomiting, it is not just vomiting: the patient frees himself from physical ills, but also—for those that are able to understand this—from a lot of bad spirits, and is also cleaning his energetic field. This is what this kind of tobacco that makes one vomit is aimed for. [… ] Once the person has vomited, they have freed their mind, heart, intestines, and overall body. There is an energetic change, the person feels lighter, more joyful, more calm, with a more loving connection towards nature, things like that.”

Consequently, the healer reports the utility of tobacco for a series of health problems which according to Amazonian epistemics are energetic or spiritual in essence and etiology: for instance brujerías, daños, mal del aire, or saladera, which are different classes of illness that have an accumulation of energetic pollutants and/or spirit-related problems in common, and can be treated effectively with tobacco. The person suffering from these conditions may exhibit a specific symptom pattern (e.g., insomnia, diarrhea, paranoia, loss of weight, etc.), but once the tobacco treatment has expelled the unhealthy spirits and energetic toxicities from the person’s body, the symptoms disappear, explains the healer.

Lastly, in the context of the tobacco plant’s spiritual effects, the healer describes a phenomenon he calls “awakening the spirit-body” of a person. He explains that aside from the physical and energy body, every person possesses a spiritual body, which is a natural aspect of the overall human. Most people are however unaware of having this part because it is asleep or sick, he explains. The correct application of tobacco may help this aspect to awaken or recover, he explains, and that “if it has awakened, it functions in one’s dreams; the spirit-body starts to do its work.” The healer strongly emphasizes the personal and interpersonal significance of awakening one’s spirit-body, as it brings about more understanding and care of others, more compassionate and conscious living.

Tobacco in Relation to Other Amazonian Medicinal Plants​

Tobacco has a unique place in Amazonian medicine, explains the healer, in that it is the one plant used to direct or potentiate the others: “All plant remedies have to be blown with tobacco smoke” before giving them to the patient, says the healer. Because of its healing scope and due to its spiritual-energetic force, he considers tobacco as a sort of royal herb among medicinal plants: “The tobacco’s healing power in the energetic realm is outstanding; I have worked with many other power plants, very good ones, but none of them compared to tobacco in this context.” He also describes that tobacco is closely connected to the “tree medicines” used in the Amazonian tradition, which are also fundamental, he explains, by giving strength and stability to a patient. When asked about the difference between tobacco and ayahuasca (given that the latter is very popular in the world currently), he said that “tobacco centers your mind while ayahuasca produces visions and fantasies.” He considers that without adequate preparation, it is very difficult for most people to differentiate between the reality and the fantasies of their own mind, which is a problem or risk in ayahuasca. He points out that if given to the right patient by an adequately trained healer, both medicines are very valuable. However, he considers that most people using ayahuasca currently are ill-prepared for working with this plant, as this requires an extensive preparation period, which they have not undertaken. “Ayahuasca is very good, but it has to be given by healers who know, who have trees in their body, and have prepared themselves and can direct the work. Not by just anyone. Because today the world is full, there are many who have taken ayahuasca 10 times and are already shamans, and serving ayahuasca—it does not work like that.” He therefore considers there to exist a lot of misguided practice and misunderstandings around this plant at present.

Back
Top Bottom