Tomato free tomato sauce

RedFox

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I use to eat a lot of food made with tomato sauce, unfortunately I'm still super sensitive to tomato's.

I found the following recipe and modified it to get the flavor closer to that of tomato sauce:
_http://www.food.com/recipe/basic-nomato-sauce-tomato-free-tomato-sauce-359835

Original ingredients

6 carrots, peeled and diced
1 small beet, peeled and diced (or add a pre-cooked, diced beet after cooking everything else)
1 large onion, diced
3 celery ribs, diced
1 bay leaf, whole
1 1⁄2 cups water

Directions

Put everything in a covered pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer until veggies are soft.
Take out the bay leaf, blend well till smooth and use as you would tomato sauce, spicing appropriately for the dish you're using it in.

It looks pretty good, but doesn't taste right.

So to get it closer to the right flavor I did the following:

Stir in after blending:
1 tea spoon of ginger powder
1 table spoon of balsamic vinegar
2 table spoons of lemon juice
5 table spoons of apple cider vinegar

The end results look, smell and taste pretty close to real tomato cooking sauce!
Makes about a jar and half of sauce.

Attachments

• 20150813_214440 small.jpg
    20150813_214440 small.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 352
Thankyou Redfox. I am also sensitive to tomatoes, each time I eat then i end up with nightmares and disturbed sleep. I am looking forward to trying this recipe when i get back, and am going to make a chicken curry :)

I'm going to be experimenting with it too, combined with the cheese free cheese.
Expect Italian recipies :D

Quick estimated of carbs:

6 carrots (50g each - 300g) = 30g
1 small beet (100g) = 10g
1 large onion (200g) = 18g
3 celery ribs (100g) = 3g

Total = 61g

So this should make it ketogenic if you don't eat all of it in one go :lol:

Thanks for sharing another great recipe. Gotta play with this as well (have to see if I can get balsamic vinegar - haven't had it in a long time - I think I should be able to find it in stores without much trouble).

I would avoid balsamic vinegar. It has a lot of sugar. It's not really vinegar, it's actually reduced fruit juice aged in barrels. Since this sauce has beets and carrots which also have sugar I would substitute Apple cider vinegar.

Thanks Mr Premise, just checked and there is 5g of carbs in one table spoon! :shock:
Have edited the recipe.

Thanks for the recipe!! Will definitely try this as my wife is also sensitive to tomatoes.

Here's another tomato-free tomato sauce. Thought I posted it before, but couldn't find it.

the ingredients are:

16 oz Pumpkin puree
1 T lemon juice
1 T apple cider vinegar
8 oz butter
sauteed onion, garlic and mushroom
1 T Italian seasoning
salt and pepper to taste

The measurements are conservative so feel free to add more lemon juice or vinegar if it isn't tart enough or more Italian seasoning if it needs more of a 'marinara' taste. I think that'll get you pretty close though. It looks strange because it's orange, but it's very close in taste. It's also nice because the pumpkin really absorbs a lot of fat so it's a great fat delivery system. You could use some beet juice to make it red, but that's just for effect.

Just made this then, but added a tea spoon of xylitol, black pepper and a little more vinegar to give it that "hit" that tomato sauce has.

It's very delicious RF, thanks for posting!

Here's a picture:

EDIT: picture was huge

Just made the "nomato" sauce too. What a great recipe! With the cheese substitute and pork rinds, a real pizza seems to be unavoidable now.

no-man's-land said:
Just made the "nomato" sauce too. What a great recipe! With the cheese substitute and pork rinds, a real pizza seems to be unavoidable now.

Yup, delicious, and it's really amazing how close it comes to tomato flavor. Thanks for sharing!

Last night keyhole made the nomato sauce to go on top of beef mince and oregano meatballs, to the sauce he added oregano fried garlic and fresh basil right at the end. It tasted like proper pasta sauce and it was seriously tasty!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 169
Back
Top Bottom