Transdermal magnesium

Yes,
Mg oil does relax you and makes for a good nights sleep. Most people are low on Mg and the best way to get it into your body is transdermal. It could take a good year to get your levels up doing oral supplementation. epsom salt is very short term as it is Magnesium Sulfate and exits the body very quickly. Magnesium Chloride/Mg Oil is much better.
Most Mg oils are very expensive! You can make your own quality Mg Oil with Nigari Flakes, it is used to make tofu. Just add very clean water, not chlorinated and fluoridated tap water. R.O. water is good.

Source for Nigari Flakes - http://www.naturalimport.com/shop_for_nigari

LOVE magnesium baths. For myself, i find i need at least 2 cups to really feel the benefits.

I also like to mix some olive oil and essential oils (sweet orange/bergamot to relax, lavendar to heal any surface issues and tea tree for real cleanse). And because the mag flakes 'absorb' the oils, when you chuck it in the bath, you get a burst of fragrance and a more even speckles of oil on the water surface. Also, works with Bicarb as per another comment.

For any UK residents, i find this is the cheapest (off amazon) and free delivery
_http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnesium-Chloride-Flakes-5kg-tub/dp/B007OX63SY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1426889866&sr=8-3&keywords=magnesium+flakes
Product Details
Magnesium Chloride Flakes 5kg tub
by Holistic Valley
£25.00
Get it by Sunday, Mar 22
More buying choices
£23.95new(3 offers)
4.4 out of 5 stars 19
FREE Delivery on orders over £10
Product Features
Magnesium Chloride (Hexahydrate) Flakes
Health & Personal Care:See all 98 items

to make the oil: just fill a spray bottle with flakes, add water, and add more flakes if they dissolve completely - done :D I find it tends to tingle where it's most needed.

At one point i was going to bed covered in it head to toe - messes up the sheets! - so i find its more expensive, but easier to just have a bath in it. The foot soak idea is really good too.

Ahhh, and there's another idea - i've never tried, but is raved about in a facebook magnesium group - that is supposed to less messy: Mag-A-Hol. Instead of water, you add 100% proof alcohol. It dries with less stickiness apparently. Maybe be aware of grain alcohols.

From here: _https://www.facebook.com/groups/MagnesiumAdvocacy/688943587840380/ & _http://magaholmagic.blogspot.co.uk/
I ordered for absolute alcohol but I waited for over 3 months and it never came.
Hence I ordered for 100 proof Alcohol and readily got it on line.
I also ordered for Magnesium Chloride and got 5 lbs of it.
Next question in front of my mind was stability of the complex .
Since this was Alcohol based complex, it was imperative that I gave it a stability to prevent its evaporation .
So I decided to add Glycerin which was harmless to human skin and gave softness . It also mixed with alcohol and prevented it from evaporation.

Having all the ingredients on hand, I set about mixing them.
I first started adding Magnesium chloride to alcohol . I went on adding over 80, 100 gms ,120 gms of Magnesium chloride in 200 ml of Alcohol. But the hungry beast it was , it gobbled up whatever amount I put in. I stopped myself at 160 gms.
Of course it needed a strong arm tactics like shaking, stirring , and waiting like an expectant father till the white chemical dissolved completely.
The last addition took overnight to mix.
Finally, my first Bottle of MAGHOL ( I named it like this first) was ready

Fastwalker said:
Most Mg oils are very expensive! You can make your own quality Mg Oil with Nigari Flakes, it is used to make tofu. Just add very clean water, not chlorinated and fluoridated tap water. R.O. water is good.

Source for Nigari Flakes - http://www.naturalimport.com/shop_for_nigari

This is a nice tip, but these are imported from Japan and so fall under the same risk for radiation contamination. For now we went with a different source. Here is a French thread discussing the potential for contamination:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lappart-des-spasmos.fr%2Fforum%2Fnigari-et-radioactivite-t13466.html&edit-text=&act=url

I don't know what the actual risk here is. According to a post there, the harvesting site is 700km from Fukushima.

hello Guys:

I've been using Magnesium Glycinate 400mg 3 times a day and I don't get the laxative effect, I used to get them when I was using the Magnesium Citrate. my two cents.. :cool2:

I don't know what the actual risk here is. According to a post there, the harvesting site is 700km from Fukushima.
[/quote]

Very good Point Monotonic! Apparently that brand was sourced from the Seto inland Sea which is is South East Japan. Like everything from Japan or the Pacific Ocean for that matter, EVERYTHING is suspect...Every product and cars made in Japan. XXhttp://www.japanmeetings.org/img/help-contacts/news-letter/1309/img_037.png

I purchased a large sack before the Fukushima disaster.

I use magnesium chloride (liquid-magnesium oil) mixed with dmso (equal parts) on my legs. When i didn't have magnesium oil (zechstein), which is expensive i diluted magnesium chloride powder, which is very cheap, i normally drink it (1-3 times a day) together with vit C. I also tried to supplement vit C diluting the powder with dmso, also adding magnesium oil and it works - there is definitely different feeling in whole body compared to only dmso and magnesium.
There is also such thing coming from Russia and Ukraine as Bischofite - magnesium chloride with 70 other minerals, usually in a form of gel. I didn't try it, bought it for my mother and she says it works (easing joint/spine pain).

Hi there!

I've been using a magnesium lotion lately for my hands, specifically my knuckles have been drying out during the colder months because my job requires my hands to be constantly getting wet and then dry. I've only been applying it when they are really painful, and after the initial sting they feel much better.

However, today I applied some, and I even rubbed it on my forearms, and within a minute or two I had broken out in a really painful rash, which itself lasted maybe 3 or 4 minutes. Overall not a terrible ordeal, but I was wondering if this could stem from a deficiency? Or maybe I applied too much?

The lotion in question is Life-Flo Magnesium Chloride Brine

Just curious if anyone else has experienced anything similar?

Thank you for your time!

I don't know about the product you use. However, I experienced tingling sensations the first times I used it; now it's OK. Sometimes, I feel again a bit of tingling if my skin is hurt (sunburn, skin eroding) but it doen't last.
The one I use is home-made: 1 tsp of magnesium chloride powder in 1 liter of spring water (or distilled water if you have a distillator). The advantage of homemade: much cheaper (I buy 1 kg powder at only 6€ in a local store- 1kg lasts very long time, about 1 year in my case!), and no additives!
You may check if there are additives in your product.

Hi there!

I've been using a magnesium lotion lately for my hands, specifically my knuckles have been drying out during the colder months because my job requires my hands to be constantly getting wet and then dry. I've only been applying it when they are really painful, and after the initial sting they feel much better.

However, today I applied some, and I even rubbed it on my forearms, and within a minute or two I had broken out in a really painful rash, which itself lasted maybe 3 or 4 minutes. Overall not a terrible ordeal, but I was wondering if this could stem from a deficiency? Or maybe I applied too much?

Thank you for your time!

If your skin is a little irritated, it doesn't seem surprising. Calendula officinalis (oil or cream) does a wonder for that.

Hi there!

Raising my hand! I don't currently use magnesium lotion but I did for a while. I used Life-Flo too and another brand, and every time, I would get a painful rash all over the places I applied it, and it lasted for about 30 minutes. It was really unpleasant, skin getting red and itching all over. That's part of the reason why I stopped applying magnesium oil. Maybe I'll try again and use Calendula cream as suggested by Maat.

I've found that magnesium oil has a tendency to tingle and sometimes it can irritate the skin, this occurs regardless of how much magnesium i've been getting from supplements and baths, so i doubt it has anything to do with being deficient. It seems that different areas of the body react differently too, so my guess is that it's more to do what state your skin is in (dry, oily, sensitive) and which part of the body it's being applied to (skin can be thinner on the face, for example). Areas that are susceptible to wear and tear, like the hands and arms and so on, are probably more likely to be sensitive too.

According to this site:

https://www.wellandgood.com/good-looks/why-does-magnesium-spray-make-me-itchy/ said:
Dermatologists, however, have a different theory as to why the topicals are making your skin tingle. “The pH of the product varies greatly from the pH of our own natural skin. This can create the sensation of itching and irritation when applied topically,” explains Rachel Nazarian, MD, of NYC’s Schweiger Dermatology. And while the sensation is certainly an indicator that there’s something on the skin, she says that it’s not a tell-tale sign that you’re deficient. For what it’s worth, the pH of magnesium chloride (commonly found in sprays) is 7.5 while magnesium sulfate (aka Epsom salt) is between 5.5 to 6.5.

From my experience, the above sounds most likely.

I agree with nature, find a supplier of magnesium chloride flakes and make your own, it's much cheaper, plus you could always make a weaker spray specifically for your hands and arms. Or even better, take a magnesium bath. As maat says, following up with a soothing, moisturizing cream should help too.

Also maybe you could find an area on the body where the magnesium doesn't have such a reaction, like the feet, back, shoulders, and so on. Because, from what i know, the magnesium should, overtime, find it's way to where it's needed anyway, so you don't have to specifically focus on any one area.

Last edited:
Thanks all for your input! That's all really helpful and interesting info. Will definitely look into alternatives, as well as checking into whether there's maybe a reaction with shampoo residue. I don't know why I didn't consider that beforehand 😅

Back
Top Bottom