Tribute to Planet Earth 🌎 ♥️

Le lac Taal aux Philippines est célèbre pour son phénomène géologique unique au monde : une île dans un lac dans une île dans un lac dans une île.Le lac Taal est situé sur l'île de Luzon, qui est déjà la plus grande île des Philippines.À l'intérieur du lac Taal, se trouve le volcan Taal, qui est devenu actif au fil des ans. Au sommet du volcan Taal, il y a un cratère. À l'intérieur du cratère du volcan Taal, un autre petit lac s'est formé. C'est déjà une île dans un lac dans une île.Au sein de ce petit lac, dans le cratère du volcan Taal, on trouve une petite île connue sous le nom de Vulcan Point.Cela crée une séquence extraordinaire d'îles et de lacs nichés les uns à l'intérieur des autres, soit une île dans un lac dans une île dans un lac dans une île.C'est un phénomène géologique fascinant et une destination touristique unique aux Philippines.

Taal Lake in the Philippines is famous for its unique geological phenomenon: an island within a lake within an island within a lake within an island.Taal Lake is located on the island of Luzon, which is already the largest island in the Philippines.Inside Taal Lake is the Taal Volcano, which has become active over the years. At the top of Taal Volcano there is a crater. Inside the Taal Volcano crater, another small lake was formed. It's already an island in a lake within an island.Within this small lake, in the crater of the Taal Volcano, there is a small island known as Vulcan Point.This creates an extraordinary sequence of islands and lakes nestled inside each other, an island within a lake within an island within a lake within an island.It is a fascinating geological phenomenon and a unique tourist destination in the Philippines.
1697560505975.jpeg

Would you be surprised to know that it's actually a variety of white carrot? It doesn't taste as carroty as an orange one but it tastes nothing like a parsnip, which I can't get past the mouth stage.
Better to keep this 'strangling hug' away from anybody of woke SJW lot, or they might fall into mental breakdown which one to support and which one to cancel: white supremacist carrot strangling the orange 'bad one' carrot. Oh, the horror! ;-D

I AM surprised, because it looks like a parsnip!

I know I know! I do a double-take sometimes too but the two are different, if subtle. These are all carrots and you can see the ones that look like parsnips:

Carrots_of_many_colors(rs).jpg

It's pretty hard to tell from our frankenfriend but this is generally the shape of a parsnip: wider at the top with a stronger taper.

1698436743013.png

They also have completely different leafs. Mine had carrotop.

Parsnip.jpg

Would you be surprised to know that it's actually a variety of white carrot? It doesn't taste as carroty as an orange one but it tastes nothing like a parsnip, which I can't get past the mouth stage.
To me, it doesn't look like parsnip at all, but it does look like parsley. Only the leaves and smell/taste, all missing here, can reveal the real nature of that white lover. :halo:

To me, it doesn't look like parsnip at all, but it does look like parsley.

I had to look this up because I had no idea what you were talking about. I have only been familiar with leaf parsley. I didn't know about root parsley, aka: Hamburg/Dutch root parsley. Looks very similar to parsnip.

1698635713548.png
I should have kept the tops. Well, all I can say is that they had the thin, bushy carrot leaves that I am familiar with, and that it didn't taste anything like a parsnip (didn't have the texture of parsnip either, which I would never eat raw...or cooked) or parsley root, which apparently tastes like a cross between mild parsnip and parsley leaf.

Interestingly, carrots, parsley, and parsnips all come from the same family Apiaceae of which ajwain, angelica, anise, asafoetida, caraway, celery, chervil, coriander, cumin, dill, fennel, lovage, cow parsley, and sea holly also belong. Some highly poisonous species belonging to this family are poison hemlock, water hemlock, spotted cowbane, fool's parsley, and various species of water dropwort.

Some members of the family Apiaceae, including carrot, celery, fennel, parsley and parsnip, contain polyynes, "an unusual class of organic compounds that exhibit cytotoxic effects." For instance, the polyyne falcarindiol is found in this family and is what gives carrots their bitterness. Falcarinol may have anti-cancer properties. Aliphatic C17-polyynes of the falcarinol type were described to act as metabolic modulators.

Many species in the parsley family have estrogenic properties, and some, such as wild carrot [aka: Queen Anne's lace], are known to act as abortifacients.

For a little historical deviation, Silphium, a possibly extinct plant, was also part of the family. Pliny mentions it (Plin. Nat. 19.15):

Next to these, laserpitium claims our notice, a very re-markable plant, known to the Greeks by the name of "silphion," and originally a native of the province of Cyrenaica. The juice of this plant is called "laser," and it is greatly invogue for medicinal as well as other purposes, being sold at the same rate as silver. For these many years past, however, it has not been found in Cyrenaica, as the farmers of there venue who hold the lands there on lease, have a notion that it is more profitable to depasture flocks of sheep upon them.

Pliny also mentions at the beginning of the civil war, the "Dictator Caesar took from out of the public treasury, besides gold and silver, no less than fifteen hundred pounds of laserpitium." He also mentions:

We find it stated by the most trustworthy among the Greek writers, that this plant first made its appearance in the vicinity of the gardens of the Hesperides and the Greater Syrtis, immediately after the earth had been soaked on a sudden by a shower as black as pitch. This took place seven years before the foundation of the city of Cyrenæ, and in the year of Rome 143. The virtues of this remarkable fall of rain extended, it is said, over no less than four thousand stadia of the African territory; and upon this soil laserpitium began universally to grow...

A c. 435-480 BC coin from Barce, Cyrenaica (Marj, Lybia) showing the plant Silphium (and the head of Ammon).

1698639040325.png

A c. 520-489 BC coin from Cyrene, Cyrenaica (near Shahhat, Libya). Reportedly, there are coins that depict both the Silphium and the heart shape together leading to the possible conclusion that it is a representation of the seed pod or fruit of the Silphium plant.
1698639538021.png

Some plants in the family Apiaceae, such as Heracleum sphondylium (eg: fennel), have heart-shaped indehiscent mericarps (dry fruit).
Heracleum sphondylium (Heart-shaped fruit).jpg

Back
Top Bottom