Trying to determine if Scotchgard fabric protector is dangerous

hlat

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
My spouse wants to use Scotchgard fabric protector in our home. I'm trying to figure out if the components are dangerous. It contains acetone, isopropanol, aliphatic hydrocarbon, carbon dioxide propellant and fluorochemical urethane. It's the secret fluorochemical urethane that concerns me.

I know Scotchgard used to contain bad perfluorochemical (PFC) perfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS).
PFOS has caused a range of diseases in lab animals and shown a strong tendency to concentrate in humans and the wildlife food chain, prompting 3M to phase that chemical out of its big-selling Scotchgard fabric protector and other products in 2000-2002.
Suspected Carcinogenic Chemicals Used To Make Teflon, Scotchgard, Found In Human Milk -- Sott.net
How the EPA and the Pentagon downplayed a growing toxic threat of perfluoroalkyl substances -- Sott.net

Here is the materials Data Safety Sheet.
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=SSSSSuUn_zu8l00xMx_14x2GOv70k17zHvu9lxtD7SSSSSS--
SECTION 3: Composition/information on ingredients
Ingredient C.A.S. No. % by Wt
Acetone 67-64-1 37-41 Trade Secret *
Isopropyl Alcohol 67-63-0 31-35 Trade Secret *
Light Alkylate Petroleum Naphtha 64741-66-8 17-21 Trade Secret *
Carbon Dioxide 124-38-9 2-6
Fluorochemical Urethane Trade Secret* <3
*The specific chemical identity and/or exact percentage (concentration) of this composition has been withheld as a trade secret.

Yes it is. During it's application and long term exposure! FWIW.

What Are the Dangers of Scotchgard?

PFAS substances according to Dr. Dr. Mercola (20-26 minute Read)
Hundreds of Scientists Issue Warning Over PFAS
Last May, more than 200 scientists from 40 countries signed the so-called Madrid Statement,13,14 which warns about the harms of all fluorochemicals (PFAS), both old and new. It lists many of the documented health effects associated with the older, long-chain PFASs, including the following:15
99adbd1904903696012db280817b4aa2.png

Last May, more than 200 scientists from 40 countries signed the so-called Madrid Statement,13,14 which warns about the harms of all fluorochemicals (PFAS), both old and new. It lists many of the documented health effects associated with the older, long-chain PFASs, including the following:15

As Paul Harvey used to say, "You can run, but you can't hide":
Oral-B Glide floss tied to potentially toxic PFAS chemicals, study suggests

Oral-B Glide floss tied to toxic PFAS chemicals, study suggests

I grew up in the Kanawha [Chemical/Cancer] Valley of Charleston, WV, home to Dupont, Union Carbide, and Monsanto. Union Carbide's Institute plant produced the same chemical that killed 3,787 in Bhopal, India, in an accidental gas leak. This plant was adjacent to WV State College and to the city of Dunbar, a Charleston suburb, where I and my parents moved in 1965.

Dupont's Parkersburg plant (not in the Kanawha Valley) made Teflon with a chemical known as PFOA, or C8. DuPont has used C-8 at the West Virginia plant since the early 1950s. PFOA ended up in the public water supplies for miles down the Ohio River from Parkersburg, contaminating public water supplies. The EPA fined DuPont $10.25 million in 2005 for covering up possible health risks of PFOA for years.

Toxic tap water: Lessons learned in West Virginia

DuPont Offers $670M Settlement For “Teflon” Chemical Contamination Of Water
Feb. 13, 2017

The chemical giant DuPont made an offer Monday to pay more than half-a-billion dollars to settle water contamination lawsuits pending in federal court.

3,550 plaintiffs from the mid-Ohio Valley filed suit claiming contaminated drinking water led to diseases linked to chemical exposure. The chemical they were exposed to is known as C-8, or PFOA, and is used in Teflon and other products. More than a decade ago residents near the company’s Washington works plant in Wood County, West Virginia, learned that their water was contaminated with C-8, and had been for years.

http://ohiovalleyresource.org/2017/...ttlement-teflon-chemical-contamination-water/
Feb. 8, 2018
Ohio files lawsuit against DuPont for allegedly dumping toxic chemical into Ohio River

Ohio files lawsuit against DuPont for allegedly dumping toxic chemical into Ohio River
Cancer Valley

The nickname ‘‘Cancer Valley’’ was apparently first applied to the Kanawha Valley by Mother Jones magazine. The term expressed the belief that cancer rates in the middle and upper valley were abnormally high, presumably due to the concentration of industry, including chemical plants, in the area of Charleston, South Charleston, and neighboring cities of West Virginia. ‘‘Cancer Valley’’ was an apparent word play on the name ‘‘Chemical Valley,’’ once promoted by regional industry and local municipalities and reflecting the Kanawha Valley’s world leadership in the mid-20th century chemical industry.

Those believing that the ‘‘Cancer Valley’’ reputation was justified cited a State Health Department study showing cancer deaths in the Charleston neighborhood nearest to the chemical plants to have been much higher than average, as well as an estimate by the National Cancer Institute that 80 percent of cancer deaths had environmental causes. Skeptics countered that environmental causes include lifestyle factors, especially diet and smoking, which together account for a large majority of cancers. The unfortunate nickname had fallen largely out of use by the turn of the 21st century.
I've had numerous relatives die from cancer including my dad - kidney cancer. I left the Valley in 1982 and the state in 1985. So far, only skin cancer probably due to toxic sunscreen use while living in Pennsylvania (me, spouse, children all redheads w/ light skin). False sense of security in that didn't burn as easily and so stayed in the sun longer than otherwise. The more damaging rays were getting through. Subsequently discovered ingestion of coconut oil seemed to provide actual protection.

I used Scotchguard several times in this past period before learning of the C8 danger. Hard to know if it's any safer today.

Back
Top Bottom